Nonetheless album cover meaning?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
verbow79

Nonetheless album cover meaning?

#1 Post by verbow79 »

Anyone have insight into the reason for the white lights covering their mouths on the new album cover?

Almost looks like an anti-Actually cover?

telys

Re: Nonetheless album cover meaning?

#2 Post by telys »

Some kind of sci-fi inspired energy beams. Probably coming out from N&C, maybe reaching the fans...
----
You've got me all wrong

new_love

#3 Post by new_love »

I mean they’ve said a lockdown album of sorts.
Masks?
If life is worth living
It's got to be done

Dog

#4 Post by Dog »

The lights could represent Neil and Chris’s inner wisdom; the product of their years, and their truth, love, positivity and creativity shining out into the world. In this way it could also be a visual articulation of their calm, rational response to life, and to lockdown particularly. They might not be going out, but - nonetheless - they’re carrying on as normal.

We’re promised a “very reflective” album, and the suits and staging and white space of the sleeve (not to mention the title) certainly channel their imperial designs - it’s a purposeful echoing of their own past, but without any knowing yawn or arched eyebrow. They’ve said the album is “a celebration of the unique and diverse emotions that make us human” and that “its 10 tracks are the strongest indicators of where we are today.” I’m expecting an album that wears their age on its sleeve - not in the more obvious way maybe Elysium did, but in a calm, statesmanlike way, where they share the benefit of their years through their art… a modern, hopeful, optimistic and uplifting electronic meditation on what it means to be alive right now. This isn’t a cynical sleeve or a cynical record. The lights are an expression of beauty.

The gloves, the blindfolds and the red curtains of the Loneliness sleeve make me think of magicians, and particularly the late nineteenth century psychic spiritualists who would supposedly connect with and channel the spirits of the dead. In terms of obscuring their faces, it’s simply another new take on an old PSB trick, but this sensory deprivation also again suggests something more inward and reflective; potentially loneliness, but also the associated accessing of a greater truth.
Woof.

stussyboy

#5 Post by stussyboy »

Great theory and seems very plausible, but I suspect it is just because if Chris has to show his head, he definitely doesn’t want to show his mouth.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

rashomon

#6 Post by rashomon »

I'm hoping the majority of this album is sung from an observational perspective (we have Taylor Swift for all the 'I' point of view songs)

Certainly, Loneliness has our Neil singing from a slightly detached/third-person viewpoint and I'm hoping the rest of the album carries on in this vein
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

stussyboy

#7 Post by stussyboy »

I don’t think we ever need to worry about Neil’s lyrics - he’s never let us down
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Old Soak

#8 Post by Old Soak »

With the bald heads an Uncle Fester tribute?
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

moxlox

#9 Post by moxlox »

Constrained by lockdowns I reckon this alludes to, with other double meanings too I am sure.

Expect to be enlightened ( :lol: ) about this when Literally comes out!
Circuses and Bread

Spittingcat

#10 Post by Spittingcat »

The lights just strike me as an “obscured by light” idea. Another way of portraits being used while hiding much of their faces. Like the blindfolds and gloves in front of faces on the single. Or in the past… motion blur for Nightlife, reflections on Hotspot, boxes on Did you see me coming, looking down wearing hats on numerous sleeves, mirrorball helmet on Thursday, sunglasses etc… the lights are just a refreshing new way of achieving this very Pet Shop Boys look. Appearing on their sleeves while retaining some level of privacy. Not completely giving themselves up to the gawping crowd. Stars but unknown.

Gabby

#11 Post by Gabby »

To me it looks like their vocalizing an opinion - the tilt of their heads, and the light from their mouths implies a spoken truth or opinion that asks to be heard. That in conjunction with the title implies that it's in direct contrast of something else that was said prior to it - for example:

"We are the Pet Shop Boys...we are, nonetheless, entitled to speak our truth."

wieske

#12 Post by wieske »

Think we'll get the real meaning explained in the next Annually issue
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

onzio

#13 Post by onzio »