Your bet for main single of "Nonetheless"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Your bet for main single of the "Nonetheless"

Poll ended at Wed 06 Mar 2024, 7:48 pm

Loneliness
45%
Feel
9%
Why am I dancing?
27%
New London Boy
5%
Dancing Star
5%
A New Bohemia
5%
The Schlager Hit Parade
No votes
The Secret of Happiness
No votes
Bullet for Narcissus
5%
Love is the Law
No votes

Total votes: 22

jyllinge

Re: Your bet for main single of "Nonetheless"

#16 Post by jyllinge »

Pretty sure Loneliness is the only single at this time. Why would they do bundle including Nonetheless/Loneliness in the store? Im getting more and more pessimistic by the day. If album sell/chart badly from the get-go then no reason to do a 2nd.

Also, Loneliness had no special made t-shirt to it? seems it's not a priority to me.

Nickname

#17 Post by Nickname »

FormerEnfantTerrible wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024, 1:33 pm Your understanding of what constitutes a "main single" is very subjective. But I feel like the second single could get bigger than "Loneliness" (a.k.a. be more accesible) if the colorful pic of Neil at the video shoot is any indication. Maybe "Feel" is the next single?
It's a bit subjective, I know. "Accesible" could be a good adjetive. A song you think people outside the fanbase can appreciate too.

Nickname

#18 Post by Nickname »

jyllinge wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024, 4:19 pm Pretty sure Loneliness is the only single at this time. Why would they do bundle including Nonetheless/Loneliness in the store? Im getting more and more pessimistic by the day. If album sell/chart badly from the get-go then no reason to do a 2nd.

Also, Loneliness had no special made t-shirt to it? seems it's not a priority to me.

I don't see the point of promoting a single 3 months before the album, if there is no second single on the way.

Kaputnik

#19 Post by Kaputnik »

Nickname wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024, 4:18 pm
Kaputnik wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024, 12:31 pm I don't really understand what you're asking. This wasn't a promo or radio only release, it was the lead/main single. If you're talking about Monkey Business for Hotspot then you are misunderstanding what "main single" is and just assuming it was the main one because they did a bit more promo.
They did much more promo with it because it was the main song to promote the album. That's why they put so much money on it. According to Chris they spent almost as much money as they used for the whole album, even more.
It doesn't matter how much promo or publicity they got for it, it was their last ditched attempt to sell copies just as the world was going to shit with Covid.

As others have said, the lead, and main, single is Loneliness.

Old Soak

#20 Post by Old Soak »

So, we are supposed to choose which is the 'Main' single from title alone, having heard just 1/10 tracks. Another pointless poll.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Nickname

#21 Post by Nickname »

Old Soak wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024, 5:38 pm So, we are supposed to choose which is the 'Main' single from title alone, having heard just 1/10 tracks. Another pointless poll.
This is not true.

Everything was explained in the first post of this thread. It's not only because of the title and when you make a bet, you don't know the result of it at first.

Nickname

#22 Post by Nickname »

jasonjohn wrote: Thu 22 Feb 2024, 12:11 am Don't know about lead single - tend to agree with Gabby's points.

Wasn't Loneliness a late addition to the album?

I am 100% certain they will have "stronger" tracks that become the reason people spin it on their record player... if that makes sense. But Loneliness is the lead and opening track, like it or not :)
Yes it was.

I hope we'll have stronger tracks, I'm sure we'll have them but maybe not so many.

grantwww

#23 Post by grantwww »

I think the poll results have been corrupted by the editing of the song titles. I played along based on Geowayne's descriptions for the hell of it but it is now showing my choice as being something different. You may have to cancel the poll and start again if people can be bothered.

I honestly think some people get too caught up in definitions and living in the past. The idea of a single has changed so much over the years and chart positions are meaningless. When a new, say, Ed Sheeran album comes out and every album track shows up on the singles chart that says it all. Things have changed. A hit these days is usually defined by how many times a 10 second snippet is used in Tik Tok videos.

Having said all that, if you want to get caught up on which is the main single for an album then it must be the song most associated with that album, which is usually the biggest hit and more often or not, the lead single. And we'll only know that well after the album and any associated product has been released and is in the rear view mirror.

Danimal

#24 Post by Danimal »

I think what Nickname means to say is which song do you think will be deemed to have the broadest appeal, and thus be released more or less in tandem with the album in order to promote it to the public?

PSB have used this strategy with some of their albums, such as “Very” and “Bilingual” where the first single was dropped months ahead of the album with the intention of simply announcing a new album is on the way, such as “Can you forgive her?” and “Before”. Then, the single deemed to have the broadest appeal is released around the time of the album to drive sales, such as “Go west” and “A se vida e.”

The problem is, without actually having heard the songs, it’s impossible to determine which of them would most appeal to the general public based upon title alone.

jules

#25 Post by jules »

A new bohemia and bullet for narcissus could be the next singles if there are some.
I think bullet could draw attention if they make a video about it.

Nickname

#26 Post by Nickname »

Danimal wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 12:58 am I think what Nickname means to say is which song do you think will be deemed to have the broadest appeal, and thus be released more or less in tandem with the album in order to promote it to the public?

PSB have used this strategy with some of their albums, such as “Very” and “Bilingual” where the first single was dropped months ahead of the album with the intention of simply announcing a new album is on the way, such as “Can you forgive her?” and “Before”. Then, the single deemed to have the broadest appeal is released around the time of the album to drive sales, such as “Go west” and “A se vida e.”

The problem is, without actually having heard the songs, it’s impossible to determine which of them would most appeal to the general public based upon title alone.

1) Yes, that's the idea when I talk about "main" single.
2) It's difficult to know that but the little info from Geowayne could give you some few ideas about the one that could be that "main" single. It's just a bet, a little game actually!

Nickname

#27 Post by Nickname »

grantwww wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 12:01 am I think the poll results have been corrupted by the editing of the song titles. I played along based on Geowayne's descriptions for the hell of it but it is now showing my choice as being something different. You may have to cancel the poll and start again if people can be bothered.
If this happens to more people, I' ll start the poll again.

Drico One

#28 Post by Drico One »

Nickname wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 1:59 pm
grantwww wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 12:01 am I think the poll results have been corrupted by the editing of the song titles. I played along based on Geowayne's descriptions for the hell of it but it is now showing my choice as being something different. You may have to cancel the poll and start again if people can be bothered.
If this happens to more people, I' ll start the poll again.
:mrgreen:
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

NeilChrisPSB

#29 Post by NeilChrisPSB »

Nickname wrote: Wed 21 Feb 2024, 7:48 pm Like a little game, I think is a good time to guess about which one is going to be the main single of "Nonetheless". Some people could think "Loneliness" is the main one but I think you can consider the second one like the main one just because it looks obvious there is a new single to be released prior the release of the new album or a few weeks later.

Of course, we haven't listened to the songs but we know a bit about every song except "Feel" and "The secret of happiness". You can read some info about all of them on the website of Geowayne.

http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/nonet ... heless.htm

So you can take a bit of time and reading the brief info, try to guess which song is the one PSB are going to choose like the main track of the album. You have different reasons to choose one song or another (ex: the info gives you feeling that the song is the best single material, the topic of the song suggests this could be the song or you can also select the song at random). You can vote any of the 10 tracks of the album, there is not problem for that.

The poll is going to last 14 days.
It was the same with Very back then, Go West was also the main single as the second single,I hope for myself, based on the title for Dancing Star, it sounds like a danceable number

telys

#30 Post by telys »

NeilChrisPSB wrote: Fri 23 Feb 2024, 2:30 pm
Nickname wrote: Wed 21 Feb 2024, 7:48 pm Like a little game, I think is a good time to guess about which one is going to be the main single of "Nonetheless". Some people could think "Loneliness" is the main one but I think you can consider the second one like the main one just because it looks obvious there is a new single to be released prior the release of the new album or a few weeks later.

Of course, we haven't listened to the songs but we know a bit about every song except "Feel" and "The secret of happiness". You can read some info about all of them on the website of Geowayne.

http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/nonet ... heless.htm

So you can take a bit of time and reading the brief info, try to guess which song is the one PSB are going to choose like the main track of the album. You have different reasons to choose one song or another (ex: the info gives you feeling that the song is the best single material, the topic of the song suggests this could be the song or you can also select the song at random). You can vote any of the 10 tracks of the album, there is not problem for that.

The poll is going to last 14 days.
It was the same with Very back then, Go West was also the main single as the second single,I hope for myself, based on the title for Dancing Star, it sounds like a danceable number
We could say the same for BB and Left to my own devices.
With Please both Oppor and West End girls were non-album singles to begin with.
----
You've got me all wrong