Piano Room Month - 2024

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Flaffer

Re: Piano Room Month - 2024

#31 Post by Flaffer »

Jake Shears did Rent last year on Piano Room, with guest appearance from Neil so probably unlikely.

Wonder if this show will act as the premiere of the single as well. No Ken Bruce on Radio 2 any more. Probably Graham Norton if there was to be a Radio 2 premiere
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Dog

#32 Post by Dog »

Flaffer wrote:Jake Shears did Rent last year on Piano Room, with guest appearance from Neil so probably unlikely.

Wonder if this show will act as the premiere of the single as well. No Ken Bruce on Radio 2 any more. Probably Graham Norton if there was to be a Radio 2 premiere
I think he left Radio 2 some time ago.

I would imagine the single being delivered to radio some weeks before the Piano Room performance so it is already known to the audience before the live debut. And then Radio 2 would also have this new second recording to play as well in the days afterwards. That’s what happened with Jack Shears’ Too Much Music, if I remember rightly.
Woof.

Nicholas

#33 Post by Nicholas »

I think Zoe Ball got the first play of Dreamland because I remember being flattened by her ENORMOUS RADIO ENERGY at the time. Is she still doing the R2 breakfast show?

Old Soak

#34 Post by Old Soak »

joncool5 wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024, 12:03 pm
Ghost within this house wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024, 11:54 am For the Bowie cover? I can't seem to find mention of that...
They did a voice message on Vernon Kay's show on Radio 2 this morning. Says it will be a Bowie song made famous by someone else so I'd guess "All the Young Dudes". They will play the new single, an old song and cover.
Could be The Man Who Sold The World
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Tom Angel

#35 Post by Tom Angel »

I suspect they will play the new singe before the piano room, but perhaps on the same day?

Nightclubbing would be a very apt PSB cover, although all the young dudes was my first guess too.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Lleonard Pler

#36 Post by Lleonard Pler »

Maybe it's Hallo Spaceboy: a Bowie song made famous by the Boys remix haha.

Nah, I think it will either be MWSTW or Dudes.

Old Soak

#37 Post by Old Soak »

What about Oh! You Pretty Things, first released by Peter Noone?
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Dog

#38 Post by Dog »

A couple of thoughts. Piano Room covers quite often end up getting released by the artist, as extra tracks on single releases or deluxe album editions.

Also - could a studio version of the Bowie cover be on the album? They’ve had cover versions on their albums a number of times before.

I actually can’t imagine a PSB version of All The Young Dudes. The lyrics, the phrasing, the hooks. It just doesn’t sound like them at all. I appreciate that’s often the point of a cover version. But The Man Who Sold The World I can.
Woof.

Dog

#39 Post by Dog »

I really enjoyed a good few of the Piano Room performances last year.

Suede’s version of Patti Smith’s Because The Night was excellent:

https://youtu.be/EzdFSEzwu8o?si=U4WroZL-tHBN2LNt

Jake Shears - Too Much Music, Piano Room version, featuring Anne Dudley on piano. A great performance and great arrangement:

https://youtu.be/BeTEsjRLFLA?si=KXLR4-9ESpIWH4lW

And of course his duet with Neil on Rent:

https://youtu.be/glDNTgEPYlY?si=lIsCJCZJWA9YW3yx

Sophie Ellis-Bextor’s version of Madonna’s Open Your Heart: https://youtu.be/_rI_xuCAzQg?si=B1VIMNB5uZaE1wnb
Woof.

Ghost within this house

#40 Post by Ghost within this house »

My money's on The Man Who Sold The World - made famous by...Bowie, and Nirvana...
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Dog

#41 Post by Dog »

Ghost within this house wrote:My money's on The Man Who Sold The World - made famous by...Bowie, and Nirvana...
But first, Lulu: https://open.spotify.com/track/57jxsbOu ... nGN1LquM0w
Woof.

NikacP0kac

#42 Post by NikacP0kac »

Usually the artist plays the new/latest single, an older one and a cover is mandatory as the third track - Depeche Mode did Ghosts Again (new at the time), Walking In My Shoes (one of their best suited one for orchestra) and Sundown (a cover).

So.. I guess it's happeniiiing, new album, new era!
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Nina

#43 Post by Nina »

Dog wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024, 10:45 pm
I actually can’t imagine a PSB version of All The Young Dudes. The lyrics, the phrasing, the hooks. It just doesn’t sound like them at all.
You've not realised where I Get Along came from then?
Ghost within this house wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024, 11:06 pm My money's on The Man Who Sold The World - made famous by...Bowie, and Nirvana...
Bowie never made MWSTW famous. It wasn't a single and it was completely ignored in his shows before 1995 (ie the Nirvana factor).

michael888

#44 Post by michael888 »

Nina wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024, 11:54 pm
Dog wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024, 10:45 pm
I actually can’t imagine a PSB version of All The Young Dudes. The lyrics, the phrasing, the hooks. It just doesn’t sound like them at all.
You've not realised where I Get Along came from then?
Ghost within this house wrote: Thu 25 Jan 2024, 11:06 pm My money's on The Man Who Sold The World - made famous by...Bowie, and Nirvana...
Bowie never made MWSTW famous. It wasn't a single and it was completely ignored in his shows before 1995 (ie the Nirvana factor).
You say that. He did perform it with Nomi on SNL in 1979.
A small voice of calm and reason.

michael888

#45 Post by michael888 »

My guess would be “Sister Midnight”.
A small voice of calm and reason.