PSB, why are they so good?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
telys

PSB, why are they so good?

#1 Post by telys »

Hm, stupid question perhaps but I sometimes I feel that we never really discuss the basics. Why are PSB so good? We all like them but there must be some basic ingredient that makes their quality high.
I think I might have an answer. Some things are apparent: the lyrics are of high quality (but would probably not be successful without the music). The melodies are good but there are many good melodies in the world of music. The production is top notch. And that's the catch. The sonic landscape. The sounds N&C choose are always particular. And the production is dense, there's always something going on.
I was listening to Happy People and Paninaro '95 tonight and realised the level of instruments, sounds and stuff going on.
----
You've got me all wrong

Ewok

Re: PSB, why are they so good?

#2 Post by Ewok »

Let's not forget Neil's distinctive voice.

S-sense

#3 Post by S-sense »

When I heard 'It couldn't happen here' and 'Kings Cross" at the age of 11 i was struck by the melancholy and the seriousness in Neil's Voice and the haunting meliodies wiith electronic music and strings combined perfectly. Their cool and mysterious image added to the fascination. I did not understand very much and I didn't knew what it was all about, i just felt it.

Nowadays some of that got lost on the way a bit, but it is still about heartfelt and witty lyrics and the sound of Neil's voice. Also they seem like very nice and interesting blokes most of the time that are still curios, love what they do and want to suprise themselves and the fans.

dbaseboy

#4 Post by dbaseboy »

They were mature in their approach (yes even Chris lol). Seriously though, they approached things with a different mindset. They knew what they were not going to be musically and personally, and I think that’s what set them apart. No denying Neil’s journalistic instinct helped.

ChoonHound

#5 Post by ChoonHound »

Lots of bands have been ciphers what’s what’s hip — Madonna is the obvious comparison — but Neil is well-read and his best songs aren’t written from his perspective. And when they are they aren’t trite.

The only time they make bad music is when they’re channeling musical theater or they’re self produced.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Parkol

#6 Post by Parkol »

How can you compare Madonna and the Pet Shop Boys?
Does Madonna know how to play a musical instrument? Can she compose her own melodies, arrangements, lyrics?
As far as I understand, she sits at her desk and different men bring her ideas and songs. That's what I remember from watching MTV in the 90s. There was a programme about her and they showed a day in the life of her... where she was business-like, choosing material for her show. She pays them to do it and picks what she thinks is right for her. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people like that.

There is a huge difference between creators and consumers. There are people who think they are artists and circle photos in Photoshop, and then there are people who actually know how to draw and have studied to do so.

MikeyC

#7 Post by MikeyC »

I think we, the passionate fans, are intrinsically drawn to their secret formula of often melancholic themes and lyrics combined with uplifting melodies and arrangements. 😎

TwizzleUK

#8 Post by TwizzleUK »

Luke Colorado wrote: Sat 20 May 2023, 12:50 am The only time they make bad music is when they’re channeling musical theater or they’re self produced.
What? So you believe 'Paninaro', 'Do I Have To?', 'It Must Be Obvious', 'We All Feel Better In The Dark', dozens of other classic B-sides and even the original demo of 'Always On My Mind' are all "bad" because they're self-produced?

domino

#9 Post by domino »

MikeyC wrote: Sat 20 May 2023, 8:18 am I think we, the passionate fans, are intrinsically drawn to their secret formula of often melancholic themes and lyrics combined with uplifting melodies and arrangements. 😎
expressing passion
explaining pain

;)
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

TallThinMan

#10 Post by TallThinMan »

Parkol wrote: Sat 20 May 2023, 8:11 am How can you compare Madonna and the Pet Shop Boys?
Does Madonna know how to play a musical instrument? Can she compose her own melodies, arrangements, lyrics?
Madonna has written or co-written many of her own hits.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

ChoonHound

#11 Post by ChoonHound »

Madonna, like PSB, has been a reflection of of what’s happening in the clubs.

Madonna, like PSB, has tired to “elevate” dance music. To a far lesser degree than the boys, obviously, but never the less.

Madonna, like PSB, made her earlier songs on her own. And they were good. But as she, like the boys, got more famous this quickly stopped.

ChoonHound

#12 Post by ChoonHound »

TwizzleUK wrote: Sat 20 May 2023, 8:50 am
Luke Colorado wrote: Sat 20 May 2023, 12:50 am The only time they make bad music is when they’re channeling musical theater or they’re self produced.
What? So you believe 'Paninaro', 'Do I Have To?', 'It Must Be Obvious', 'We All Feel Better In The Dark', dozens of other classic B-sides and even the original demo of 'Always On My Mind' are all "bad" because they're self-produced?
Sure, when they were young and hungry they did great work. Now they’re old and lazy.

jules

#13 Post by jules »

The first time i saw them on tv was in 95 with West End girls. They were really rare so if i didn't see the video at this moment i may never even know they existed.

By searching for West End girls, i found discography, introspective and very. With discography i realized i did knew several songs that had heavy rotation on radio.

I became a fan with introspective and very because it sounded modern and not boring.

They are the best today, no other band can mix such great melodies, lyrics, and sounds, in such different way on an entire album.

Oznerol

#14 Post by Oznerol »

For those who are tempted to say that the lyrics can be maybe the main pont of their worldwide success, just think about all the people who doesn´t speak English and have almost no idea at all of what Neil is singing, but anyway consider PSB as their favourite music act. I know for sure there are TONS of fans like that!!
This is not my signature.

telys

#15 Post by telys »

Oznerol wrote: Sat 20 May 2023, 5:47 pm For those who are tempted to say that the lyrics can be maybe the main pont of their worldwide success, just think about all the people who doesn´t speak English and have almost no idea at all of what Neil is singing, but anyway consider PSB as their favourite music act. I know for sure there are TONS of fans like that!!
Exactly, that's why I vote for their sonic landscape as what makes them "so good". They choose the right sounds and make a dense production.
----
You've got me all wrong