An finally, Flamboyant came to Youtube

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

An finally, Flamboyant came to Youtube

#1 Post by Nickname »

I think is something remarkable.

It was the only one video from Pet Shop Boys that wasn't on Youtube. Now on a HD Upgrade, we'll get the opportunity of watching on Youtube.

I don't know the problems the video had to be on Youtuble. Probably, it was because of the rights of the Japanese show Kasou Taishou.

It's on Youtube's section too.

Flamboyant (video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-xdjALeASU

leesmapman

Re: An finally, Flamboyant came to Youtube

#2 Post by leesmapman »

I think Rent is still missing

Nickname

#3 Post by Nickname »

Well, you can watch it again on HD upgrade. It was released almost 20 years ago and you can watch it now on Youtube.

Flamboyant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-xdjALeASU

Oznerol

#4 Post by Oznerol »

My worst fears came true, about how the image deteriorates when they try to convert standard quality videos to fake HD versions. The filters they use to add false detail where there is none make black and white lines appear around things, and the result is even lower quality than previous DVD versions.
As expected, the "Smash" Blu-ray will not replace the PopArt DVD in quality, it will only serve to have HD versions of the videos that were originally made in that quality, but it will worsen all the previous ones...

comparison for Flamboyant:

..and another of Minimal:

This is not my signature.

Parkol

#5 Post by Parkol »

I knew it. Their design has gotten worse, too. Apparently, they gave their music videos to some guy at home, and he just plugged in a cheap plugin and like - get it. It turned out to be cheesy. Sometimes it's better not to do it than to do it.

Or maybe Chris put on Adobe Premiere and watched some YouTube tutorials. It looks unprofessional and awful.

Harry

#6 Post by Harry »

We don’t know for sure that this is how the videos will look on Blu-ray.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

jasonjohn

#7 Post by jasonjohn »

Well music videos are a different thing nowadays. Everyone dips their toe in the cheap productions for the sake of having something on youtube, MTV is largely over.

Quite a lot of work went into the Flamboyant video. It's quite good, imo.

DopeFiend

#8 Post by DopeFiend »

I used to have to go to Vimeo to see this video. Glad it's been uploaded!
Quality is all right too. The Japanese culture thing is cool.
I love seeing the promo clips of this video on their social media at the moment, it has a short clip of some of the faux ads with N & T.
Hope it racks up some views.
And just an observation, this MV has sound from the video. A fairly common thing but not for PSB.
I really like Chris' style in this video by the way.

Patrick Bateman

#9 Post by Patrick Bateman »

jasonjohn wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023, 1:30 am Well music videos are a different thing nowadays. Everyone dips their toe in the cheap productions for the sake of having something on youtube, MTV is largely over.

It's hilarious. 😂

Nickname

#10 Post by Nickname »

jasonjohn wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023, 1:30 am Well music videos are a different thing nowadays. Everyone dips their toe in the cheap productions for the sake of having something on youtube, MTV is largely over.

Looks like a big budget video with a good concept and quite modern. A really good video.

FormerEnfantTerrible

#11 Post by FormerEnfantTerrible »

I'm REALLY disappointed with this "HD remaster". I'm glad they're making the effort and that at least it's back on Youtube, but it's not been remastered correctly and image quality has worsened in some shots. To see the ACTUAL highest quality version of the Flamboyant video, head over to Nico Beyer's (the video director) website:

https://nicobeyer.com/nico-beyer-video/ ... flamboyant

It's as clear as can be. Notice the clarity of the computer graphics compared to the "HD" version on PSB Youtube. Of course it won't be ultra HD, because this video was never meant to be that. It was shot on videotape to mimic the TV show aesthetic.
Did You See Me Coming?

Harry

#12 Post by Harry »

Miracles has been uploaded this evening, and while it’s satisfying to have it upgraded and in full widescreen rather than letterboxed, like Flamboyant it’s not the best upgrade.

I still have hopes that the upgrades for YouTube are a separate thing from mastering for the Smash Blu-ray.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

Oznerol

#13 Post by Oznerol »

Nickname wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023, 12:09 pm

Looks like a big budget video with a good concept and quite modern. A really good video.
Most of the images used for the video were taken from a real Japanese TV show, there are lot´s more of this kind on the web, including the ones used for the video. Other than the TV ads with PSB on them, is hard to know exactly what was made specially for this video, and what was just archive footage...
Last edited by Oznerol on Wed 10 May 2023, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not my signature.

ChrisLove

#14 Post by ChrisLove »

the japanese fries made me laugh love that shot

Your life's a mystery, mine is an open book. If I could read your mind, I think I'd take a look.

Nickname

#15 Post by Nickname »

Oznerol wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023, 9:57 pm
Nickname wrote: Fri 28 Apr 2023, 12:09 pm

Most of the images used for the video were taken for a real Japanese TV show, there are lot´s more of this kind on the web, including the ones used for the video. Other than the TV ads with PSB on them, is hard to know exactly what was made specially for this video, and what was just archive footage...
Anyway, it works really fine. :dance: