New PSB TV programme

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Mr Madness

New PSB TV programme

#1 Post by Mr Madness »

Spotted this from the BBC Press Office today…

“Also coming up in 2023, BBC Two continues its Reel Stories series with Reel Stories: Pet Shop Boys. BBC Radio 2’s Dermot O’Leary invites Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe to join him in a London cinema and relive some of the pivotal moments from their career to date on screen.

Dermot says: "I've bumped in to Neil and Chris many times over the years - including a brilliant 24 hours in LA back in the 90s...(very T4!) So I can't wait to sit down with them and watch their remarkable career on the big screen.”

Neil and Chris say: “It was such fun exploring our history on TV with Dermot O’Leary as our curator.”

Since 1985, Pet Shop Boys have achieved 44 top 40 singles in the UK, including four Number Ones, and have released 14 top ten studio albums. Some of their best loved hits include West End Girls, What Have I Done To Deserve This and It's A Sin. In 2000, they received the Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music and, at the 2009 Brit Awards, they won the award for Outstanding Contribution to Music.

Previous Reel Stories interviewees include Noel Gallagher, Dave Grohl, Kylie Minogue, Rod Stewart, Sting and Robbie Williams.”

https://bbc.in/3kqa2he

Dog

Re: New PSB TV programme

#2 Post by Dog »

Excellent. I wonder if it’ll be broadcast around the time of the Dreamworld dates. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Woof.

greenmile

#3 Post by greenmile »

From reading that press release, I'm guessing it'll be on sometime between March and the beginning of May.

Nickname

#4 Post by Nickname »

A little promotion for the EP, maybe.

Dog

New PSB TV programme

#5 Post by Dog »

Confirmed here for 20 May:

https://retropopmagazine.com/neil-tenna ... caught-up/

Neil Tennant has reflected on the success of Channel 4 drama series ‘It’s A Sin’ and its impact in changing attitudes towards HIV/AIDS.

The show – which shares its name with Pet Shop Boys’ 1987 single and stars Years & Years frontman Olly Alexander – depicts the lives of a group of gay men and their friends during the HIV/AIDS crisis in the United Kingdom.

Appearing on Dermot O’Leary’s Reel Stories on BBC2, which will air on May 20, Neil explains: “When we wrote the song in 1983, who would have thought it would be suitable to put on the BBC’s New Year’s Eve show 40 years later?

“In the eighties and nineties I had friends who were dying of AIDS. There was a contrast to being a pop star and visiting your friends in hospital.”

On the miniseries, he adds: “With ‘It’s A Sin’ I think the heterosexual community caught up and thought, ‘I never appreciated what went on there’.

“I found the show difficult to watch. It is great to have Olly Alexander come up. I am practically old enough to be his grandfather. I love it when generations come together like that.”

Pet Shop Boys collaborated with Olly on their 2019 single Dreamland, lifted from the duo’s most-recent album, ‘Hotspot’ (2020).
Last edited by Dog on Tue 02 May 2023, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woof.

Dog

#6 Post by Dog »

Another snippet here:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/david-bowi ... rider/?amp

It has been revealed by Pet Shop Boys’ Neil Tennant that David Bowie had basic sandwiches on his rider at the Brit Awards.

Tennant featured on Bowie’s 1996 remake of ‘Hallo Spaceboy’ and recalled bumping into him at that year’s BRIT Awards, where he ate a ham baguette. The Pet Shop Boys vocalist shared his story on Dermot O’Leary’s Reel Stories on BBC2. “I remember him backstage at the Brits eating a ham baguette,” he said. “You imagine him to have Indonesian sardines, but there he was with a ham baguette.”

“I loved Bowie. We went to see him at Newcastle City Hall (in the Seventies),” he continued. “I have still got his autograph… That was a big influence.”
Woof.

eastendboy

#7 Post by eastendboy »

Saturday, May 20, BBC 2
8.15 PM Reel Stories (45 minutes)
Pet Shop Boys.
BBC Radio 2's Dermot O'Leary invites Neil Tenant and Chris Lowe to join him in a London cinema and relive some of the pivotal moments from their career to date on screen.

9 PM Pet Shop Boys at the BBC (75 minutes)
A look back at the electronic duo's career through interviews, sessions and concerts from the BBC archives.

11.05 PM Pet Shop Boys Live at Hyde Park (90 minutes)
Pet Shop Boys' headline performance at Radio 2 Live In Hyde Park 2019. Contains flashing images.

PopKid78

#8 Post by PopKid78 »

It’s a shame Smash isn’t released that week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the crowd

#9 Post by One of the crowd »

eastendboy wrote: Sun 07 May 2023, 7:29 pm Saturday, May 20, BBC 2
Pet Shop Boys.
BBC Radio 2's Dermot O'Leary invites Neil Tenant and Chris Lowe to join him in a London cinema and relive some of the pivotal moments from their career to date on screen.
45 minutes?

Is that it?

First 15 minutes will be all about how they met in an electronics shop
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

OakeyDokey

#10 Post by OakeyDokey »

No adverts though, it would be an hour long if it was on a commercial TV channel. It's aimed at casual fans so the ratings are decent, never gonna be a three hour anorak fest for the likes of us.

tottenhammattspurs

#11 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

OakeyDokey wrote: Mon 08 May 2023, 11:03 pm No adverts though, it would be an hour long if it was on a commercial TV channel. It's aimed at casual fans so the ratings are decent, never gonna be a three hour anorak fest for the likes of us.
The “A Life In Pop” dvd is for us anoraks.
is is and isnt isnt

before

#12 Post by before »

One of the crowd wrote: Mon 08 May 2023, 12:44 pm
eastendboy wrote: Sun 07 May 2023, 7:29 pm Saturday, May 20, BBC 2
Pet Shop Boys.
45 minutes?

Is that it?

First 15 minutes will be all about how they met in an electronics shop
The Kylie episode is 24 minutes and the Robbie Williams one is 44 minutes. You really expected the PSB episode to be longer!?

Silver Age

#13 Post by Silver Age »

2 hours!

before

#14 Post by before »

3.5 hours director's cut. With 15 minutes of electronics shop footage at the start to please the fans.

Flaffer

#15 Post by Flaffer »

They’ve also been interviewed for the Radio Times. It was mentioned on the Word In Your Ear most recent podcast
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.