Was it worth it?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TallThinMan

Re: Was it worth it?

#16 Post by TallThinMan »

I’ve always loved “Was It Worth It?” It’s not a heavyweight song by any means, just a beautifully crafted and realised pop song. I particularly like how the verse melody line reappears at the end.

It also wears its Sabrina Johnston’s “Peace” influences on its sleeve. They were big fans of that track and played it when they sat in for Simon Bates on Radio 1. Both were produced by Brothers in Rhythm.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Parkol

#17 Post by Parkol »

It was this song that made me start taking an interest in the band. It was with this song that I became a fan. It was only after this song that I became interested in the other songs of the band.

It was the last year of the USSR.
I remember that time. Poverty, grayness, unpredictability, uncertainty. It was the Super Channel. Pirate cable TV. I didn't understand a single word, but the music amazed me. Music is spiritual food and it was the melody and the voice that got me into it. Only 7 years later I started to learn English, until then I just admired the melody and the voice.

One of the crowd

#18 Post by One of the crowd »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023, 7:37 am
It also wears its Sabrina Johnston’s “Peace” influences on its sleeve. They were big fans of that track and played it when they sat in for Simon Bates on Radio 1. Both were produced by Brothers in Rhythm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8OeBet1TRk
Did Zoe Ball let something slip today? (31:01:24)

Spittingcat

#19 Post by Spittingcat »

Funny.

He was right though, it is _______ brilliant!

JJ Naas

#20 Post by JJ Naas »

ChrisLove wrote: Mon 06 Feb 2023, 8:46 pm I like someone comment about this song "A transition song from their 80s to their 90s sound."
That's true. It's got a proto-Very sound. I love it. It may not be much disco- or hit potential, but it's quite unique and the world is a bit nicer place because it exists, no one else, to this day, would have created a song like it.

domino

#21 Post by domino »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023, 7:37 am It also wears its Sabrina Johnston’s “Peace” influences on its sleeve. They were big fans of that track and played it when they sat in for Simon Bates on Radio 1. Both were produced by Brothers in Rhythm.
You can clearly hear some similarities! It also reminds me a bit of Kylie's "Better the devil you know" (18 months prior to PSB's single debut at Heaven nightclub in October 1991). I remind reading somewhere about the coinciding style of "Was It Worth It" and OMD's "Pandora's Box" (4 month prior to the Heaven gig). It seams to be a solid pop pattern in the early days of the 90s.

Of course, "Was It Worth It" tops them all ... ;)

Also: All 3 named singles (Peace, BTDYK, Pandora's Box) were in the UK Top 10. I can see why PSB had high hopes for their track.
Last edited by domino on Tue 07 Feb 2023, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

TallThinMan

#22 Post by TallThinMan »

I’ve noticed the similarity with “Pandora’s Box’ too.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

daveid

#23 Post by daveid »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023, 9:06 pm I’ve noticed the similarity with “Pandora’s Box’ too.
Me too

Flaffer

#24 Post by Flaffer »

daveid wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023, 9:13 pm [quote=TallThinMan post_id=618271 time=<a href="tel:1675803961">1675803961</a> user_id=2033]
Me too
[/quote]

Does Adrian Mole know? 😉
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Flaffer

#25 Post by Flaffer »

Double post
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

TallThinMan

#26 Post by TallThinMan »

Flaffer wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023, 10:06 pm
daveid wrote: Tue 07 Feb 2023, 9:13 pm [quote=TallThinMan post_id=618271 time=<a href="tel:1675803961">1675803961</a> user_id=2033]
Me too
Does Adrian Mole know? 😉
[/quote]

Haha!!

Patrick Bateman

#27 Post by Patrick Bateman »

ChrisLove wrote: Mon 06 Feb 2023, 8:46 pm I like someone comment about this song "A transition song from their 80s to their 90s sound."
Yes, very true. I remember a review of Discography criticising it for being too optimistic and there is an element of it being slightly incongruous for PSB at the time. Its chart performance was obviously affected by it being released at a competitive time of year, already being available on Discography and them being past their commercial peak.

telys

#28 Post by telys »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 09 Feb 2023, 10:50 pm
Yes, very true. I remember a review of Discography criticising it for being too optimistic and there is an element of it being slightly incongruous for PSB at the time. Its chart performance was obviously affected by it being released at a competitive time of year, already being available on Discography and them being past their commercial peak.
The commercial peak/imperial phase ended with the release of Paninaro '95. I guess they jumped the shark with Absolutely fabulous.
----
You've got me all wrong

TallThinMan

#29 Post by TallThinMan »

telys wrote: Fri 10 Feb 2023, 8:22 am
Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 09 Feb 2023, 10:50 pm
The commercial peak/imperial phase ended with the release of Paninaro '95. I guess they jumped the shark with Absolutely fabulous.
I thought the imperial phase “officially” ended when Domino Dancing failed to gain them a fifth U.K. number one.

Palpatine

#30 Post by Palpatine »

Why didn't they release Was it worth it? in January of 1992. Wouldn't that have guaranteed a top 20 placing with less competition?