Disco 3 is 20 years old

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jasonjohn

Re: Disco 3 is 20 years old

#16 Post by jasonjohn »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue 17 Jan 2023, 1:21 am I've said it before, but for me Disco 3 was a very significant release because it arrested the period of decline and inconsistency that had effectively commenced the moment after Very was put on the record store shelves, 10 years prior.
Why would they want to reset from the previous 10 years of work?

I get it some tracks on Disco 3 are a little more electronic and Electric the album proved a fan favorite.

But Nightlife and Bilingual both had some exceptional pop moments. I don't see them as "decline"

And Disco 3 has it's share of misjudgement. The new tracks are cool, but the remixes aren't exactly Disco 1986 level

telys

#17 Post by telys »

jasonjohn wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023, 6:49 am
retrofuturist wrote: Tue 17 Jan 2023, 1:21 am I've said it before, but for me Disco 3 was a very significant release because it arrested the period of decline and inconsistency that had effectively commenced the moment after Very was put on the record store shelves, 10 years prior.

I get it some tracks on Disco 3 are a little more electronic and Electric the album proved a fan favorite.

But Nightlife and Bilingual both had some exceptional pop moments. I don't see them as "decline"

And Disco 3 has it's share of misjudgement. The new tracks are cool, but the remixes aren't exactly Disco 1986 level
Exactly. Disco remixes are flawless, they never reached that level with Disco 2-4. Disco should've been a one off and not a series of decline.
----
You've got me all wrong

leesmapman

#18 Post by leesmapman »

Disco 4 is the 2nd best in the series. I won't change my mind about this (unless Disco 5 is brilliant)

Patrick Bateman

#19 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Disco 3 sounds like early PSB and is influenced by the electroclash zeitgeist; by 2003 they'd been around long enough to sound contemporary again.

While Bilingual and Nightlife have their merits, they're not what you'd associate with the PSB sound of Please and Disco. I think that's what Petheads welcomed; the opportunity to relive those visceral, euphoric and amyl-fuelled blasts of the mid-80s.

telys

#20 Post by telys »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023, 4:17 pm

Disco 3 sounds like early PSB and is influenced by the electroclash zeitgeist; by 2003 they'd been around long enough to sound contemporary again.

While Bilingual and Nightlife have their merits, they're not what you'd associate with the PSB sound of Please and Disco. I think that's what Petheads welcomed; the opportunity to relive those visceral, euphoric and amyl-fuelled blasts of the mid-80s.
It all went south with Paninaro '95. Weird release. They've should've kept that song as a b-side to a live version from Discovery, live version of West End girls celebrating its 10th anniversary.
----
You've got me all wrong

leesmapman

#21 Post by leesmapman »

Paninaro 95 makes perfect sense as a release to promote Alternative

retrofuturist

#22 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
jasonjohn wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023, 6:49 am But Nightlife and Bilingual both had some exceptional pop moments. I don't see them as "decline"
Compared to the near faultlessness of Please, Actually, Introspective, Behaviour and Very, it's hard not to.

Obviously taste is a subjective matter, but I'd be quite confident that if Pet Shop Boys fans ranked their albums, the majority would have Nightlife, Release and likely even Bilingual in the bottom half of that ranking.

To have a run of three consecutive albums that would fall within the bottom half a band's career output is not an insignificant low-point (and that's to say nothing about the musical).

It's great to be a fan of their works, but this isn't an Erasure forum where we unrealistically give everything 11/10. It's fine to think that some songs and albums are relatively stronger or weaker than others, and I think 1994-2002 was a period where the "hits and misses" ratio was at its worst. Others are welcome to disagree.

Retro. :)

tottenhammattspurs

#23 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

leesmapman wrote: Wed 18 Jan 2023, 7:51 pm Paninaro 95 makes perfect sense as a release to promote Alternative
Paninaro 86. Synth pop perfection
Paninaro 95. Meh.
is is and isnt isnt

negative_0ne

#24 Post by negative_0ne »

disco 3 was an ok, but rather 'mixed' 'release'. ha ha

anyways, i do enjoy remixes, but none of them were as good as anything
previously released, and redoing paninaro was a poor choice too.

i wouldn't hear it until years after it came out. after 'very' i didn't pay attention
to the pet shop boys, until 'yes' came out.

later

G_Goalden

#25 Post by G_Goalden »

I thought the Peel session was really exciting - especially when JP was defending them against all the people who only wanted sessions from obscure German techno artists. To have it (in part) on Disco 3 was great - it was probably the last thing I ever recorded off the radio onto a C-90.

I might dig it out tomorrow for a proper listen.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022

G_Goalden

#26 Post by G_Goalden »

G_Goalden wrote: Thu 19 Jan 2023, 8:16 pm I thought the Peel session was really exciting - especially when JP was defending them against all the people who only wanted sessions from obscure German techno artists. To have it (in part) on Disco 3 was great - it was probably the last thing I ever recorded off the radio onto a C-90.

I might dig it out tomorrow for a proper listen.
Having done this (the Peel Session) - it really did sound excellent.

... "To the handful of malcontents who felt that for some reason that we shouldn't have the Pet Shop Boys on the programme - if I told you they were something like ''Eins Zwei Drei' from Mülheim', you'd think they were wonderful."

How often do DJ's publicly slag off their audience?
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022

TallThinMan

#27 Post by TallThinMan »

I listened to Disco 3 yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I’m sorry to say that it hasn’t aged well. For me it’s blighted by the heavily processed vocals.

Best tracks are Somebody Else’s Business and the Genuine Piano mix of London, although the latter is an odd inclusion for an album entitled Disco. I’d have liked to have seen this version of London lose the vocal effects and synth stabs and replace the version of the song that was on Release. It’s far superior.

Dog

Disco 3 is 20 years old

#28 Post by Dog »

Pls ignore, wrong thread.
Woof.

boyjohn

#29 Post by boyjohn »

TallThinMan wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023, 4:58 pm I listened to Disco 3 yesterday for the first time in a very long time. I’m sorry to say that it hasn’t aged well. For me it’s blighted by the heavily processed vocals.

Best tracks are Somebody Else’s Business and the Genuine Piano mix of London, although the latter is an odd inclusion for an album entitled Disco. I’d have liked to have seen this version of London lose the vocal effects and synth stabs and replace the version of the song that was on Release. It’s far superior.
London is one of those songs that I wish they would revisit. It's such a pretty song, beautiful melody and intriguing lyrics. I don't think it fits with the production style of Release though. And I really want to hear that fabulous bridge sung without the processing.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost