My scrapbooks

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: My scrapbooks

#511 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Dog wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023, 8:22 pm Yes, these are the dying embers of the scrapbooks sadly. Some more big jumps to come.
Ha ha, that's disappointing because I assume I'm a similar age. My fandom was definitely waning by now; although I still bought most releases, I don't recall reading many interviews or reviews. Intriguing that Melody Maker said Bilingual was their finest album, though arguably that was in decline by now too. At least NME slagged off Disco 2.

Dog

#512 Post by Dog »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Dog wrote: Sat 21 Jan 2023, 8:22 pm Yes, these are the dying embers of the scrapbooks sadly. Some more big jumps to come.
Ha ha, that's disappointing because I assume I'm a similar age. My fandom was definitely waning by now; although I still bought most releases, I don't recall reading many interviews or reviews. Intriguing that Melody Maker said Bilingual was their finest album, though arguably that was in decline by now too. At least NME slagged off Disco 2.
I don’t think I was becoming any less of a fan - I had just moved away, leaving my scrapbooks back at home. I suspect I thought cutting and sticking was for kids (I was 19 in 1994).
Woof.

Patrick Bateman

#513 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Dog wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023, 9:47 am I don’t think I was becoming any less of a fan - I had just moved away, leaving my scrapbooks back at home. I suspect I thought cutting and sticking was for kids (I was 19 in 1994).
I was 20 in 1994, so life was changing. I think we underestimate how part of their commercial decline was simply people getting older and having other things in their lives. Yes, the quality of their output got patchier but they'd have probably had a similar level of success whatever they put out. It's why nickname's faith that they're only ever one release away from global domination again is so touching.

I obviously always remained a fan because I'm still here on a PSB forum in 2023 and I suppose the recent tour shows that even the ones who lost interest still retain that nostalgia for their salad days. The bar's far busier during I don't know what you want though.

daveid

#514 Post by daveid »

OakeyDokey wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023, 1:33 am Very striking visuals. Anyone know the thinking behind it?
Assumed you were joking. It's one of the most literal covers of all time (even if the meaning of "mad" was changed for the video)

daveid

#515 Post by daveid »

1994 was probably the PSB's first duff year. Think we all though they'd gone a bit mad

OakeyDokey

#516 Post by OakeyDokey »

daveid wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023, 2:57 pm
OakeyDokey wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023, 1:33 am Very striking visuals. Anyone know the thinking behind it?
Assumed you were joking. It's one of the most literal covers of all time (even if the meaning of "mad" was changed for the video)
I've heard of them but don't recall seeing a picture of one, and it was late when I posted :lol:

Dog

#517 Post by Dog »

Woof.

Dog

#518 Post by Dog »

Woof.

Dog

#519 Post by Dog »

Woof.

Dog

#520 Post by Dog »

Woof.

Dog

#521 Post by Dog »

Woof.

Dog

#522 Post by Dog »

Neil writes for the Telegraph’s Arts & Books to promote Twentieth Century Blues.
Woof.

Patrick Bateman

#523 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I realise it's partly the infrequency of the cuttings by this point but it does show how quickly they went from the chart-friendly pop of Very to being completely out of step with the zeitgeist. Very seems more and more like an outlier in their commercial decline, which arguably occurred before the 90s began. By 1998, they've been around for 12 years, which is ancient in pop terms, particularly back then.

Dog

#524 Post by Dog »

Patrick Bateman wrote:I realise it's partly the infrequency of the cuttings by this point but it does show how quickly they went from the chart-friendly pop of Very to being completely out of step with the zeitgeist. Very seems more and more like an outlier in their commercial decline, which arguably occurred before the 90s began. By 1998, they've been around for 12 years, which is ancient in pop terms, particularly back then.
Yes, it struck me it would be interesting to track the decline of Smash Hits over the same period. Was pop coverage dying, or just PSB pop coverage? Or had I just grown up?
Woof.

Dog

#525 Post by Dog »

Sleezenation I don’t know what you want interview.
Woof.