Did they ever comment on whether the song I Get Along is about a specific relationship?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
soflamboyant
Ireland

Did they ever comment on whether the song I Get Along is about a specific relationship?

#1 Post by soflamboyant »

Would be interested if anyone knows the answer to this. I always thought the lyrics seem incredibly specific, particularly this:

"Now I know you'd much rather be
With rock royalty
Instead of someone like me
The big boys are back and we need them, you said"

Flaffer

Re: Did they ever comment on whether the song I Get Along is about a specific relationship?

#2 Post by Flaffer »

It’s about Tony Blair and Peter Mandelson relationship after the Prince of Darkness had been forced out of another role.
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

soflamboyant
Ireland

Re: Did they ever comment on whether the song I Get Along is about a specific relationship?

#3 Post by soflamboyant »

Flaffer wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022, 7:56 pm It’s about Tony Blair and Peter Mandelson relationship after the Prince of Darkness had been forced out of another role.
I didn't know that. I knew about "I'm With Stupid" being about Blair.

The line "you'd much rather be with rock royalty than with someone like me" makes sense now, ie Blair's fraternising with Bono at summits etc.

Spittingcat

#5 Post by Spittingcat »

Yup, it’s a combined comment on Cool Britannia, including Oasis being invited to no10, and the later sidelining of Mandelson. They were sort of imagining it as a couple breaking up, rather than a political parting of the ways… because… well… pop songs.

Dog

#6 Post by Dog »

leesmapman wrote:"The big boys are back" is a quote from Oasis.
“The second verse, however, quotes the British pop singer Richard Ashcroft. He gave an interview to the NME a couple of years ago and he was talking about his solo album coming out, and these very important album releases - his album, the last Oasis album and Radiohead's Kid A - and he said, 'the big boys are back and we need them'. And I was always struck by the arrogance of this just like we were both struck by the arrogance of Badly Drawn Boy when he won the Mercury Music Prize saying 'good things don't often go to good people'. There's a kind of rock aristocracy thing again nowadays which I don't really like, because it implies a certain complacency, which I think you can see in groups like Oasis, and Richard Ashcroft in fact. And I worked that into the story because the person is singing about someone who has kind of lost touch with reality - that's why it's 'now I know you'd much rather be with rock royalty instead of someone like me'. There's that picture of Stella McCartney and Liv Tyler wearing t-shirts saying 'rock royalty' which is meant to be ironic, but you also know it's not ironic at the same time."
Woof.

tottenhammattspurs

#7 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

leesmapman wrote: Sun 13 Nov 2022, 10:03 pm "The big boys are back" is a quote from Oasis.
It's actually a quote from Badly Drawn Boy.
is is and isnt isnt

leesmapman

#8 Post by leesmapman »

Oh yeah, I tend to forget about Badly Drawn Boy, maybe that's why I thought it was Oasis.

Dog

#9 Post by Dog »

It’s Richard Ashcroft.
Woof.