Unity Tour Spoilers & Reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Waffleon

Re: Unity Tour Spoilers & Reviews

#121 Post by Waffleon »

Not Invisible we did offer suggestions as to what they could change. I think that's how we've got into this stupid to and fro debate. You didn't like our suggestions. None of us is qualified to presume how much any of this costs, its all guesswork. In the spirit of this facile argument though I'll guess that any of the following would not break the bank;
Swapping the odd song, playing a different mix perhaps, covering a NO song, collaborating on one song, playing electronic instrumentals in the crossover.

I don't think the current set list is bad - I've really enjoyed it twice so far. Great show, enjoy.

I'm not a moaner, I don't post very often, I think I probably qualify as a lurker. But I've given my opinion, for once negatively, not expecting anyone to care. This has just irked me that's all.

I am a dedicated, from the beginning fan and I've dragged my family and friends to the US, Europe and Asia to see them over the years - Usually knowing its the same show verbatim. Great times. However, i repeat, I am glad I didn't this time because this one isn't what I think it could have been. I still maintain that given the two band's shared history and the way it was not advertised as GH that it wasn't a giant leap to expect something new/different/extra. I get that the two tours are running sequentially so I should have expected it - stupid me. They have had two years extra though? And yes get the mainstream US target, I get it - touring is expensive. But I think good music is good music and why wouldn't a US audience enjoy the odd extended remix done well? Why not offer something extra for the 10% fans who've travelled to see them. To the NO fans who might like it? I think they should have added the Dreamland tag or something similar in the advert, that's it really.

Feeling really sad that I'm having to defend a negative point of view. I will stop now.

Patrick Bateman

#122 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Weird that they're not playing What Have I? in America.

Rorie

#123 Post by Rorie »

Weird no Go West either....

Spittingcat

#124 Post by Spittingcat »

All of which require time and money that a traditional group like New Order can avoid by putting on a typical rock show.
New Order gigs tend to have songs synced to videos as well these days.

jamie1978

#125 Post by jamie1978 »

Rorie wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 12:18 pm Weird no Go West either....
Not so weird, really. It wasn't a hit in the US and Neil has stated they're sick of it - so a reasonable one to drop for the US leg.

Nickname

#126 Post by Nickname »

I'd like to know the things they could do if they had a massive bugdet.

Luke Colorado

#127 Post by Luke Colorado »

We have two bands with 40+ years of culturally defining moments with millions of die hard collectors and overlapping fans who buy *everything* they put forth, yet neither have the confidence to stray far from their top 40 catalog ls in concert? They need to have more respect for their audiences and more confidence in their draw.

In my dream we’d have 2hrs of a joint performance. They all perform together playing each other’s favorite shows songs from their full discography including Electronic, TOT, etc. ideally, there would be a lot of story telling and commentary. Visuals would be secondary and not even necessary for me

Imagine N or C talking about the first time they heard X new order song and then playing their remix of it.

Or they could both play their version of Young Offender.

That’s my dream.

Now please tell me all the ways it’s quixotic. Go!
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

NotInvisible

#128 Post by NotInvisible »

Waffleon wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 8:01 amNot Invisible we did offer suggestions as to what they could change. I think that's how we've got into this stupid to and fro debate. You didn't like our suggestions
I think they were fine suggestions. They just weren't realistic suggestions considering the time and expense required to achieve them with the restrictions of a 30 minute changeover and just 13 dates to recoup costs. That's the stumbling block.

NotInvisible

#129 Post by NotInvisible »

Luke Colorado wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 6:03 pm We have two bands with 40+ years of culturally defining moments with millions of die hard collectors and overlapping fans who buy *everything* they put forth, yet neither have the confidence to stray far from their top 40 catalog ls in concert? They need to have more respect for their audiences and more confidence in their draw.

In my dream we’d have 2hrs of a joint performance. They all perform together playing each other’s favorite shows songs from their full discography including Electronic, TOT, etc. ideally, there would be a lot of story telling and commentary. Visuals would be secondary and not even necessary for me

Imagine N or C talking about the first time they heard X new order song and then playing their remix of it.

Or they could both play their version of Young Offender.

That’s my dream.

Now please tell me all the ways it’s quixotic. Go!
It would all have to be programmed and synched to lights and video etc. That's a cost neither band are currently dealing with, since their halves of the Unity show are versions of their current tours which American fans otherwise would not get to see. Presumably this version of the tour foregoes your previous demand to match previous tours' staging, which avoids those expenses. So that's something, at least. But completely new programming, video content and lighting that needs to be paid for in just 13 dates is a tall order, especially when you have fans like yourself who also want ambitious presentation.

Luke Colorado

#130 Post by Luke Colorado »

NotInvisible

#131 Post by NotInvisible »

Yes, we all know you can't address the reality of the situation.

Luke Colorado

#132 Post by Luke Colorado »

NotInvisible

#133 Post by NotInvisible »

Your behavior is in this thread is just like my four-year-old nephew's when told why the sky can't be plaid. The awkward part is that you've already told us you're in your late forties...

vincenzosz

#134 Post by vincenzosz »

I know I'm asking for it, especially coming late to the party.

That being said, NotInvisible I admire your passion for PSB, but you are the one who is coming across like a "four-year-old".

I get that your reasons for defending the tour the way it is, but it there is nothing wrong with being constructively critical of the art we consume. Even if we don't have a solution doesn't mean we don't have a right to be disappointed.

I PERSONALLY was interested in seeing a North American leg of the Dreamworld tour, and when I saw the only tour they had coming through here was the New Order collaboration I wasn't interested as I assumed it would be something different than Dreamworld, similar to what others assumed.

Sometimes just because the performance is a certain way doesn't mean its the only way it could of been.
I went to see Joe Hisaishi in Vancouver this summer, a concert that was slated for May 2020, then May 2021 and in that time the setlist listed on the concert website changed from original compositions to a show touted as "Hayao Miyazaki and Joe Hisaishi - a tribute to their collaboration". I assumed they did this to appeal to wider audience who would only be familiar with Joe Hisaishi through his work composing for the Studio Ghibli animated films directed by Miyazaki. When I finally saw the show this June I was so disappointed to find that the entire show (though still called in the program as a tribute to Miyazaki) was 80% unknown pieces, with only two performances at the end from the films of Hayao Miyazaki.

What's my point? This was massive false advertising and it could of been better. Was it a lovely evening? Of course, but that doesn't mean it wasn't flawed.

My perception is that LukeColorado and others are making fair points and you are having a hard time conceding that anything other than the current set list is possible, and to suggest anything else is to deny "the reality of the situation". I think we are all fans and share the same love of PSB, regardless there are going to be disagreements. Some enjoyed the show and I'm sure it was a blast in its our right, others felt disappointed and wanted something else, and that's fair. Both opinions can exist simultaneously.

oakey
Netherlands

#135 Post by oakey »

jamie1978 wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 1:13 pm
Rorie wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 12:18 pm Weird no Go West either....
Not so weird, really. It wasn't a hit in the US and Neil has stated they're sick of it - so a reasonable one to drop for the US leg.
I'm sick of Go West too and even though I like the single version of What Have I done.. I have never appreciated the 12" remix and I never thought it really worked live. So I would not miss these two songs in a live set. I would miss It's a sin, Always on my mind or West End Girls, even though I have heard them numerous times, even live.