Unity Tour Spoilers & Reviews

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
NotInvisible

Re: Unity Tour Spoilers & Reviews

#106 Post by NotInvisible »

Luke Colorado wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 12:47 am You’re just being argumentative at this point
Nope. I'm asking a question you can't seem to answer, and pointing out that the Unity tour exists in the very specific context of a shared billing (e.g. not a fan audience) and 13 dates (e.g. less opportunity to amortize costs).
I was clearly providing a solution that would appease me (and no doubt many fans) at little to no cost
It costs money to pay and house musicians on tour. It costs money to pay and house dancers on tour. It costs money to transport and assemble set pieces (which would lengthen the break between groups and lessen their performance time). It costs money to transport and care for additional costumes. None of this is "little to no cost," especially with just 13 dates to try to recoup costs.
I’m certain it would have been cheaper to ask Pete to program two or three Electronic tracks to be performed at the change over than to hire Paul Okenfold to join the tour.
So you would expect two or three songs with accompanying stage presence, visuals etc during a changeover, when grips are dismantling, moving and setting up gear? I don't think you understand the logistics involved in any of this.

Luke Colorado

#107 Post by Luke Colorado »

Yawn… we’re not getting anywhere. You’re right. This is the best they could do. It’s literally impossible to achieve anything better or more creative. Shane on me for thinking otherwise. Goodnight.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Luke Colorado

#108 Post by Luke Colorado »

Yawn… we’re not getting anywhere. You’re right. This is the best they could do. It’s literally impossible to achieve anything better or more creative. Shane on me for thinking otherwise. Goodnight.

Waffleon

#109 Post by Waffleon »

Luke Colorado wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 12:47 am You’re just being argumentative at this point and my appetite for your attitude is about expired.

I was clearly providing a solution that would appease me (and no doubt many fans) at little to no cost, with a helping amount of jest attached, admittedly.

Within the context of the show as it is: I’m certain it would have been cheaper to ask Pete to program two or three Electronic tracks to be performed at the change over than to hire Paul Okenfold to join the tour. So there. I saved money and serviced the fans.

Waffleon

#110 Post by Waffleon »

I agree. It's incrementally expensive to fundamentally change a tour of course. Other than visuals perhaps, i'm confident it's not going to be prohibitively expensive to remix a few songs or add a couple to the crossover point. Some Electronic would have been nice and let's not pretend otherwise.

Waffleon

#111 Post by Waffleon »

Sorry Luke Colorado, it's late and I meant to tag your response not just repost it.

Luke Colorado

#112 Post by Luke Colorado »

Nope, it’s impossible Waffleon. If you read thru the posts everyone will give you a reason why. Lol. There is literally no way this could have or should have happened.

NotInvisible

#113 Post by NotInvisible »

Luke Colorado wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 1:34 amYou’re right. This is the best they could do. It’s literally impossible to achieve anything better or more creative. Shane on me for thinking otherwise.
I didn't say this was the best they could do (although I disagree it's a bad show, considering it's a hits setlist with a unique show never before seen in the US). But complaints without solutions are pointless. You don't seem to understand the economics or logistics involved here. When these challenges are noted, your response is to throw a strop rather than address or accept them.

Bringing back old staging and costumes involves additional cost. Their previous tours had live musicians and dancers. Those people have to be paid, which is an increased cost that must somehow be covered with just 13 dates. They also have to be put up in hotels, airfare has to be bought, they need food and per diems etc. This is not free, or even cheap. The previous tours had big set pieces that have to be transported and assembled - in the case of Cubism and Pandemonium, live during the performance. Additional costumes require transport, cleaning and help changing. All of this is more expense. Again, with just 13 dates to recoup costs. Do you think the staging of these previous tours can even be erected in 30 minutes? Or do you propose New Order use the set pieces as well?

Or do you mean something else when you talk about staging, and not the sets, not the dancers, not the musicians?

You and Waffleon both propose an Electronic performance during the switchover, oblivious to the logistics of a switchover in the first place. Are you proposing this performance happens live while grips are tearing down one staging and setting up another? While the band is in the way of this activity? Presumably a performance without lights, projections, lasers etc since those are being adjusted. Would the second band take the stage without doing final checks, since there is now no break?

You complain about the setlist, but don't offer up an alternative - bearing in mind half the audience is there to see New Order and you'll need to keep them entertained as well. So what is this magical setlist that is somehow better for a crossover audience than playing hits?

Luke Colorado

#114 Post by Luke Colorado »

Luke Colorado

#115 Post by Luke Colorado »

A slightly different set from NO tonight. Man, I hope they didn’t blow all their profit swapping one song for another!!

NotInvisible

#116 Post by NotInvisible »

Luke Colorado wrote: Tue 20 Sep 2022, 4:12 amA slightly different set from NO tonight. Man, I hope they didn’t blow all their profit swapping one song for another!
So now we're moving the goalposts to updating the setlist, presumably having admitted you have no practical answers to the economic and logistical challenges outlined above. Pet Shop Boys could no doubt swap one song for another... although of course this would require custom video content, reprogramming the lights and lasers and of course programming the songs in advance. All of which require time and money that a traditional group like New Order can avoid by putting on a typical rock show. You do understand the two groups operate very differently live, right?

Luke Colorado

#117 Post by Luke Colorado »

NotInvisible

#118 Post by NotInvisible »

No, I didn't think you understood. Thanks for confirming.

Future Lover

#119 Post by Future Lover »

I'm with you, NotInvisible. People who didn't spoil themselves to death probably go out a lot happier than folk who learned that this is the truncated setlist which half of Europe got anyway. Even if they didn't bother doing anything brand new, it's a great show already. People expecting them to change the tour midway obviously didn't follow the last two decades and the way they operate. Obviously, if you dislike the way Dreamland is set up, you'll hate this and that's it. It's more probably they'd change something by 2023, considering the gap. Some tracks might be swapped considering audience response (I imagine this is why "Memory of the Future" and "Invisible" were sacked back in Electric days).
Last edited by Future Lover on Tue 20 Sep 2022, 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

oakey
Netherlands

#120 Post by oakey »

Late to this discussion but I have attended both the European Dreamland and latest New Order tours. When the unity tour was announced, to me it was vey clear that this would be a slightly reduced set/shared bill based on both these European tours. I mean why wouldn't it? The prices are ridiculous ($300 will buy you into a European 3 day festival with big legacy headliners , even tickets for the current Harry Styles tour, the most popular male artists at this moment will cost way less than €200 over here [Netherlands]) but that's the US, people apparently have money to burn and pay these prices. As a result, the majority of the audience will not consist of the nerdy outsiders or Heaven frequenters to which both bands appealed in the 80s and 90s (in Europe anyway) but to rich mums and dads who turn up in their SUVs and are at best casual fans of (the old stuff from) either the Boys or NO. Surely, they all expect songs they know. As for the request for deep cuts: it is clear that the Pet Shop Boys unlike in Europe and South America are considered one hit wonders by many on the US. Thus, over half of the set list consists of deep cuts as far as the audience is concerned. Or do or did they play Losing my mind and Vocal on every radio station? Same for NO: once a band for outsiders and music critics, it has become a stadium act in the 90s, attracting football hooligans in the UK that you would never see at a PSB concert. So for them it's the big songs as well, rather than deep cuts from Movement and the Salvation soundtrack. Neither of those band still has the flexibility to change the setlist continuously (like NO did in the 80s when they seemed to fully change their setlists overnight!), both are very professional bands with members approaching 70 that heavily rely on preprogrammed stuff re music, lights and visuals. PSB has always been like that btw.

Those bands tour the US with a short and mainstream tour to make big money. Not to appeal to their loyal hardcore fanbase.

BTW i very much liked the Dreamland show and the New Order one.