Chris Heath's Discovery tour book

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
NotInvisible

Chris Heath's Discovery tour book

#1 Post by NotInvisible »

So obviously we all know Chris Heath wrote a third Pet Shop Boys book documenting the Discovery tour, which was ultimately vetoed by Neil and Chris on content grounds. Do we know that that involved? Reading between the lines in the Dreamworld tour program, I'm guessing sex and drugs (didn't Neil get into a relationship with one of the dancers?).

Why didn't Heath just remove the offending bits?

Has enough water passed under the bridge that the book might finally see the light of day?

ype

Re: Chris Heath's Discovery tour book

#2 Post by ype »

I wondered about this too. Chris Heath was a guest on the podcast Logroll. He talks at length about the PSB and about the risk of projects such as these falling through, but unfortunately no mention is made of the Discovery book.
Here is a link to the episode:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/c ... 0540133979

agent doris

#3 Post by agent doris »

He made a video diary of the Uni tour too. Would love to see that!

Nickname

#4 Post by Nickname »

NotInvisible wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022, 4:08 am Do we know that that involved? Reading between the lines in the Dreamworld tour program, I'm guessing sex and drugs (didn't Neil get into a relationship with one of the dancers?).
I admit it'd be a full disappointment if Neil and Chris were taking drugs.

NotInvisible

#5 Post by NotInvisible »

Nickname wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022, 11:29 pmI admit it'd be a full disappointment if Neil and Chris were taking drugs.
Neil has discussed trying drugs in the 1970s. Chris has hinted at taking MDMA in the rave era.

My guess is the Discovery book featured MDMA, cocaine and one-night stands with fans and dancers, which would fit with the few hints Neil and Chris have dropped over the years. I also suspect this was a brief hedonistic period that didn't last much longer than South America. There is little point highlighting an atypical experience and I can see PSB cringing in retrospect.

The other possibility is that none of these things are true, and the book merely showed Neil and Chris being little tyrants on tour. That wouldn't be a good look, either.

ype

#6 Post by ype »

Nickname wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022, 11:29 pm
NotInvisible wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022, 4:08 am Do we know that that involved? Reading between the lines in the Dreamworld tour program, I'm guessing sex and drugs (didn't Neil get into a relationship with one of the dancers?).
I admit it'd be a full disappointment if Neil and Chris were taking drugs.
So what would you say the extended version of We all feel better in the dark is about?

raggatwin

#7 Post by raggatwin »

Chris has definitely done drugs...he's eluded to it....Neil too.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Nina

#8 Post by Nina »

NotInvisible wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022, 1:25 am
Nickname wrote: Mon 12 Sep 2022, 11:29 pmI admit it'd be a full disappointment if Neil and Chris were taking drugs.
I also suspect this was a brief hedonistic period that didn't last much longer than South America.
They've both dropped tons of mega-tonne sized hints over the years that they've indulged. Brett Anderson of Suede even outed Neil as a habitual cocaine user in a book.
Chris's "brief hedonistic period" lasted about 40 years, if not more.

Anyway, a certain journalist and former member of this forum who knew the the two Georges - Michael and O'Dowd - has both of them on record talking about 'partying' with the boys. You can work out the rest.

domino

#9 Post by domino »

Chris was partying non-stop for 3 days before going home and writing "Music For Boys". Don't tell me he was sober ... :lol:
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

ype

#10 Post by ype »

I'm sure the use of the word ecstasy in Postscript and WAFBINTD should be taken literally. Neil also stated that Happiness is an option is about LSD. Maybe someone else can think of more PSB songs explicitly dealing with drug use.
Anyway, to be disappointed over this is ludicrous. It's like not wanting to acknowledge your parents have had sex.

matt74uk

#11 Post by matt74uk »

ype wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022, 5:55 pmMaybe someone else can think of more PSB songs explicitly dealing with drug use.
At Rock Bottom.

It's all about drugs :dance:

leesmapman

#12 Post by leesmapman »

Which do you choose
A hard or soft option?

Ally
Czech Republic

#13 Post by Ally »

They are my drug I guess..so maybe I am on drugs too ?🤔😉

NotInvisible

#14 Post by NotInvisible »

Nina wrote: Tue 13 Sep 2022, 4:08 pmChris's "brief hedonistic period" lasted about 40 years, if not more.
When I wrote "brief hedonistic period" I was referring primarily to sleeping with fans and dancers (aka employees). Personally I don't care about recreational drug use, they were musicians in the '80s and '90s who grew up in the '70s, of course they've used drugs.

OakeyDokey

#15 Post by OakeyDokey »

Where did Brett bitch about Neil on coke?