Issey miyake

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
joepsb

Issey miyake

#1 Post by joepsb »

RIP
Will his Shade Sunglasses ever be bettered

PETHEAD72

Re: Issey miyake

#2 Post by PETHEAD72 »

joepsb wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022, 11:01 am RIP
Will his Shade Sunglasses ever be bettered
Definately not!
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

leesmapman

#3 Post by leesmapman »

In the Dutch news the headline was "designer of turtleneck Steve Jobs passed away"....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J410F met Tapatalk

domino

#4 Post by domino »

For me musically and lyrically the best bit in Flymboyant. RIP Issey!

To look so loud
may be considered tacky
Collectors wear black clothes
by Issey Miyake
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Dog

Issey miyake

#5 Post by Dog »

Chris, in Annually: “Isn't Issey Miyake a genius? He used to be an architect - as indeed did I - which I think explains his sculptural skills.”

Thinking of the iconic flip-up shuttered sunglasses worn by Chris Lowe in 1986 as part of a look that inspired Eric Watson and Mark Farrow and made the sleeves of the Suburbia formats and starred in the videos for Suburbia and Paninaro and appeared on The Tube and were reprised on the cover of Catalogue and archived in the National Portrait Gallery and defined the way the Pet Shop Boys were seen and in part how they will be remembered.

Chris, in Annually: “Issey Miyake is my favourite designer and I bought these in his shop in Japan. Of course, if you just have one lifted up you look like a mad optician.”

Thinking of the inflatable blow-up rubber jacket worn by Chris Lowe in 1987 along with a painted on scar to create a purposefully “manic” look to perform the mercenary love song Rent and to shock and antagonise the Live at the London Palladium audience and bemuse Jimmy Tarbuck who subsequently refused them the rights to use the clip on Showbusiness, quipping surreally: “I bet he drinks Carling Black Label”.

Chris, on the South Bank Show: “It was completely over the top and had a lot of attitude and it was ideal for wearing on the London Palladium show because it was so far removed from showbusiness… So when the family viewer switched on they thought “what’s going on here?””

Thinking of the mac, hat and “mad” glasses which along with a pair of dungarees made up the fisherman outfit worn by Chris Lowe at the 1988 BPI awards to win Best Group and perform for the only time with Dusty Springfield and rub shoulders with Noel Edmonds, and to collaborate with Eric and Mark again on two different Heart sleeves so that we got excited and bought multiple copies, and the Annually cover, wherein readers could spend Christmas discovering more about Chris’s extensive sunglasses collection, reading about Krysia and doing a crossword.

Chris, in Annually: “These are the most mad looking pair of glasses I’ve ever had. They make you look absolutely bonkers, don’t they? I got them from the Issey Miyake warehouse as part of my outfit for the BPI awards. They work best with that rubber hat I wore then. Without the hat - mad. With the hat - street.”

Thinking that in 2003 seemingly to cement his position of importance in the Pet Shop Boys’ world, Neil immortalised Issey Miyake in the lyrics to Flamboyant where he joined the ranks of Zazou and Kim Philby and Don Juan and Gerhard Richter and Bing Crosby.

Neil, in Literally: “Let’s face it, Chris, he was nothing till you wore those glasses.”

RIP Issey Miyake

Woof.

Spittingcat

#6 Post by Spittingcat »

RIP

Such a great legacy.

oakey

#7 Post by oakey »

leesmapman wrote: Tue 09 Aug 2022, 6:06 pm In the Dutch news the headline was "designer of turtleneck Steve Jobs passed away"....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J410F met Tapatalk
Yes that was very annoying and also very unwoke.