At home with the Pet Shop Boys

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: At home with the Pet Shop Boys

#16 Post by Pod »

RIP Steve Wright - died today at 69 years old.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

tottenhammattspurs

#17 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Death - The final punchline
is is and isnt isnt

dbaseboy

Steve Wright RIP

#18 Post by dbaseboy »

So sad to hear of the passing of Radio 1 & 2 DJ Steve Wright. Don’t suppose anyone has recordings of the hilarious ‘At home with the Pet Shop Boys’ sketches he used to play?

[MERGED]

Patrick Bateman

#19 Post by Patrick Bateman »

An unusual DJ.

Gabby

#20 Post by Gabby »

As Dog said, Steve Wright was clearly not a fan of PSB back in the day.

My recollection from Very era was a skit they did on his show approximately titled "Neil Tennant and things he wouldn't normally do".

So memorable were these I have no idea what the punchlines were. I doubt they were particularly funny.

Sad for those affected by his loss, but when it comes to PSB, he added no value to their career whatsoever.

Mr Madness

#21 Post by Mr Madness »

I seem to remember Neil once saying in an interview that he wasn’t happy with how Steve Wright first introduced them on Top of the Pops (for West End Girls). I think it was a comment along the lines of “An unusual song from an unusual band”.

tottenhammattspurs

#22 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Late 87 (post What have I done to deserve this?? and pre Always on my mind) he had a skit song called The Cat Shop Boys “The Same As The Last One”. The chorus followed the “what have I, what have I…” part and went “we never, we never, we never repeat things twice. No we never, we never we never repeat things twice…”.
High brow indeed.
is is and isnt isnt

rashomon

#23 Post by rashomon »

Guessing we won't be seeing any' related Pet Text postings from the boys anytime soon
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Gabby

#24 Post by Gabby »

rashomon wrote: Wed 14 Feb 2024, 8:50 am Guessing we won't be seeing any' related Pet Text postings from the boys anytime soon
I suspect not. I just remembered I was listening to a relatively recent Pick Of the Pops Show that he did and he played Rent. Even after that he sang the chorus in a mocking tone and made some glib remark - so as recently as 2022/23 he clearly had no regard for them. It was so awful even my wife commented on his attempt at humour.

FormerEnfantTerrible

#25 Post by FormerEnfantTerrible »

Weren't they on his show back during the Elysium era?
Did You See Me Coming?

agent doris

#26 Post by agent doris »

FormerEnfantTerrible wrote: Wed 14 Feb 2024, 4:01 pm Weren't they on his show back during the Elysium era?
Yes, and they seemed to have quite good banter with him!

Nicholas

#27 Post by Nicholas »

Nothing to do with The Late Steve Wright, but the various links to parody clips at the start of the thread reminded me of this The Late Victoria Wood one, recorded for Red Nose Day 1991 (!!!) but which 10-year-old me didn’t notice contained about 45 seconds of PSB pastiche at the beginning (not being familiar with their incredibly recognisable aesthetic at that age):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XF9IO6LU8 ... 5nIA%3D%3D
Last edited by Nicholas on Thu 15 Feb 2024, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gabby

#28 Post by Gabby »

Nicholas wrote: Wed 14 Feb 2024, 10:56 pm Nothing to do with The Late Steve Wight, but the various links to parody clips at the start of the thread reminded me of this The Late Victoria Wood one, recorded for Red Nose Day 1991 (!!!) but which 10-year-old me didn’t notice contained about 45 seconds of PSB pastiche at the beginning (not being familiar with their incredibly recognisable aesthetic at that age):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XF9IO6LU8 ... 5nIA%3D%3D
Not seen this one before. I think Inner City Pressure is my absolute favourite. I think parodies need to come from a place of love and respect for the material being lampooned and that, and this Victoria Wood one, fit the criteria, as does Raw Sex.

retrofuturist

#29 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The music on that Victoria Wood one is actually very impressive in the sense that whoever did it managed to capture different aspects of the trademark Pet Shop Boys sound (as it was at that time) in a manner that was noticeably PSB but without being a direct rip-off of any specific song.

Retro. :)
"Politics are too emotional now. Contemporary culture generally is too emotional, really... I'd rather people looked to the truth." (Neil Tennant)

agent doris

#30 Post by agent doris »

Cobbled together a few interviews from over the years. Obviously no animosity between them

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/pdcaflfs ... 0u2fy&dl=0