Disappointed, once more...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
StevePSB
Site Admin

Re: Disappointed, once more...

#31 Post by StevePSB »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:15 am Disappointed. The last truly great Bernard single. The greatest song from Neil and Chris’ 90s output, Johnny marts greatest triumph and Factory Records last single release.
'Disappointed' was on Parlo. 'Feel every beat' was the last Electronic single on Factory.

I think the first time I heard it I was sort of expecting new PSB stuff, as the 6 months or so since the end of the Behaviour era seemed an eternity at the time.

As a result, I think I thought it was PSB the first time I heard it. It was the days of hearing a song on the radio and having no means of researching it if you didn't hear the DJ tell you who it was by. That seems such an alien concept nowadays!

It was quite PSB, but listening now you can clearly hear Barnie's guitar, which wouldn't have featured if it were PSB.

StevePSB

Spittingcat

Re: Disappointed, once more

#32 Post by Spittingcat »

I still don’t know why they haven’t featured Sumner’s guitar on any PSB track. Plenty of Marr, but no Sumner. Maybe the next album…

Sunshine&Love, by Happy Mondays was the last Factory Records single, I think.

tottenhammattspurs

Re: Disappointed, once more

#33 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Spittingcat wrote: Mon 18 Jul 2022, 11:26 pm I still don’t know why they haven’t featured Sumner’s guitar on any PSB track. Plenty of Marr, but no Sumner. Maybe the next album…

Sunshine&Love, by Happy Mondays was the last Factory Records single, I think.
Having read Stephen Morris’ autobiographies and Peter Hook’s ones, Bernard comes across as a bit of a t*** in regard to studio output and who’s in charge.
is is and isnt isnt

Nervously

#34 Post by Nervously »

Also maybe Bernard thinks PSB records already sound enough like New Order ones without having his guitar on them.

OakeyDokey

#35 Post by OakeyDokey »

For someone so...not exactly great at singing or playing guitar, Barney went far.

y3potential

#36 Post by y3potential »

OakeyDokey wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022, 11:06 am For someone so...not exactly great at singing or playing guitar, Barney went far.
Are you suggesting he made a little go a very long way...?
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

TallThinMan

#37 Post by TallThinMan »

OakeyDokey wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022, 11:06 am For someone so...not exactly great at singing or playing guitar, Barney went far.
He’s a brilliant songwriter and synthesist and his singing is no worse than Neil’s and just as distinctive.

Future Lover

#38 Post by Future Lover »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022, 12:40 pm his singing is no worse than Neil’s
Oh wow! I get that they have a lot of fans, but this is quite something. I've seen New Order live, and let me tell you... this is patently untrue.

TallThinMan

#39 Post by TallThinMan »

Future Lover wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022, 2:33 pm
TallThinMan wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022, 12:40 pm his singing is no worse than Neil’s
Oh wow! I get that they have a lot of fans, but this is quite something. I've seen New Order live, and let me tell you... this is patently untrue.
I was talking about on the records.

Disco.

#40 Post by Disco. »

Thats like saying Wrexham is better than Manchester City, and I do like NewOrder.

Spittingcat

#41 Post by Spittingcat »

y3potential wrote: Tue 19 Jul 2022, 11:28 am Are you suggesting he made a little go a very long way...?
Very good.

jasonjohn

#42 Post by jasonjohn »

Bernard is more a talking singer. Neil isn't a singers singer, but he can sing.

TallThinMan

#43 Post by TallThinMan »

jasonjohn wrote: Wed 20 Jul 2022, 9:46 am Bernard is more a talking singer. Neil isn't a singers singer, but he can sing.
Bernard can sing too. He’s singing on “Regret”. Neil’s voice has a greater range.

ype

#44 Post by ype »

Disappointed is one of my favourite songs of all time, and I love everything Electronic have done.
A fourth Electronic album is the absolute nr 1 on my wishlist. Who knows, one day...
Also, I really like Bernard's singing. Like Neil (or at least the old Neil) he is not technically a very good singer, but his voice conveys a lot of meaning and emotion. A friend once said to me: 'You only like singers who cannot sing', and it's true, I love 'm!

Patrick Bateman

#45 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Brings back memories of finishing school that summer. GAWI and Disappointed are both pop classics and the latter is Johnny Marr's biggest hit in the UK, which seems crazy. Neil was obviously the backing singer on GAWI, while Disappointed sounds more like PSB as he's the lead. It still seems odd that Chris was on neither - they're arguably far superior to much of their 90s output.