Disappointed, once more...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Re: Disappointed, once more...

#16 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Disappointed. The last truly great Bernard single. The greatest song from Neil and Chris’ 90s output, Johnny marts greatest triumph and Factory Records last single release.
is is and isnt isnt

Disco.

#17 Post by Disco. »

Except that Chris didn’t have anything to do with it….

Disco.

#18 Post by Disco. »

But a good song nevertheless.

TwizzleUK

#19 Post by TwizzleUK »

I always thought the best version of Disappointed is the self-produced 'Original Version' - the one on the CD single that's a minute or so longer than the Stephen Hague single mix. That original mix has a slightly cleaner production, and sits very comfortably as a "bonus track" in my playlist at the end of Electronic's eponymous debut album. Lovely summer feel to it.

telys

#20 Post by telys »

TwizzleUK wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:56 am I always thought the best version of Disappointed is the self-produced 'Original Version' - the one on the CD single that's a minute or so longer than the Stephen Hague single mix. That original mix has a slightly cleaner production, and sits very comfortably as a "bonus track" in my playlist at the end of Electronic's eponymous debut album. Lovely summer feel to it.
No way, the intro on the Stephen Hague mix is magical, so much better. I heard it on the radion in '92, I heard Neil sing but didn't understand the mix of british bands in it but somebody told me the name of the band was Electronic so I got the album... Disappointed wasn't on it but I wasn't disappointed. That album's sound is, imho, NO/Smiths doing a PSB record... the sound Release should've had, more edge. I love it, don't listen to it that much these days, don't need to it's part of my DNA.
----
You've got me all wrong

TallThinMan

#21 Post by TallThinMan »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:15 am Disappointed. The last truly great Bernard single.
You’re in for a treat when you get to 1993’s “Regret”!

Drico One

#22 Post by Drico One »

Eleven wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 7:02 am Probably Chris was with Cicero filimng "That Loving Feeling" and helping with the album production or with Ian Wright making "Do the right thing" , doing Boy George "The Crying Game" and some other music on that soundtrack or just making *Very/Relentless"

So please, please, tell the whole story next time. Your writing is way too good to tell half truths.
No problem. That bit will be covered when you send me my advance.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Drico One

#23 Post by Drico One »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:15 am Disappointed. The last truly great Bernard single. The greatest song from Neil and Chris’ 90s output, Johnny marts greatest triumph and Factory Records last single release.
Regret, Crystal, and swathes of the Music Complete album sounded pretty great to my ears. And I don't think you even need to go beyond Electronic to find more Bernard excellence, as their subsequent albums, though patchy, had some tremendous tracks.

Drico.

jasonjohn

#24 Post by jasonjohn »

TallThinMan wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 11:39 am
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:15 am Disappointed. The last truly great Bernard single.
You’re in for a treat when you get to 1993’s “Regret”!
Absolutely! And "World" is a delirious track, esp when paired with that sordid filmclip. Put that one on their "Art" disc, for sure.

minimal

#25 Post by minimal »

Speaking about Electronic, it's probably an unpopular opinion to have, but I still think to this day that album-wise Twisted Tenderness has the best flow and offers the most interesting listening experience. Unfortunately, it's a very underrated record.

m+

Drico One

#26 Post by Drico One »

minimal wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 5:11 pm Speaking about Electronic, it's probably an unpopular opinion to have, but I still think to this day that album-wise Twisted Tenderness has the best flow and offers the most interesting listening experience. Unfortunately, it's a very underrated record.

m+
Unpopular, but, in my view, correct. I have long felt the last of the three albums was the best. It's also the rockiest - so perhaps that'd make it less popular around these parts - but to my ears the most enjoyable listening experience.

Drico.

Rorie

#27 Post by Rorie »

Chris not working on Disappointed is for a completely different reason. Nothing to do with them not wanting/willing to have him on the project.

PopKid78

#28 Post by PopKid78 »

I’ve always really liked Prodigal Son. In the Noughties, I was a DJ at an Indie Night, and every now and then, I would try to slip in a song I liked, hoping it wouldn’t clear the Dancefloor. Prodigal son, was the only Electronic song I could get away with, with the mid Noughties Indie kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minimal

#29 Post by minimal »

Drico, I'd love to read a full-length review of Twisted Tenderness. It's a great record when it comes to creating atmosphere.

Another aspect of Electronic's work is that Johnny and Bernard often succeeded in choosong the best songs as singles.

Of all three albums there's ultimately only one song left that I'd also loved to have seen as a single: When she's gone off Twisted Tenderness.

Although Twisted Tenderness and maybe Out of my league would have made great radio singles? Well,...

m+

OakeyDokey

#30 Post by OakeyDokey »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:15 am Disappointed. The last truly great Bernard single. The greatest song from Neil and Chris’ 90s output, Johnny marts greatest triumph and Factory Records last single release.
Big statements but then they do come from a Spurs fan :angel: