New EP incoming?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Roundhead General

Re: New EP incoming?

#31 Post by Roundhead General »

redsock wrote:I'm not sure of the order but I remember we've been at these over the years. ..

Dot music,
Hostboard (wasn't it meant to be a temporary forum between moves?)
Sky
Aimoo (seem to recall it being around 2002 / Release album)
Yes Aimoo was around the time of the Release album. In fact you informed me of the forum at the Keele university gig when I was stood next to you in the audience!
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

leesmapman

#32 Post by leesmapman »

I only remember the Introspective mailinglist

redsock

#33 Post by redsock »

Roundhead General wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022, 11:31 am
redsock wrote:I'm not sure of the order but I remember we've been at these over the years. ..

Dot music,
Sky
Yes Aimoo was around the time of the Release album. In fact you informed me of the forum at the Keele university gig when I was stood next to you in the audience!
Hehe! No way?! :lol: That's a good memory!

You're probably on the recording of the concert that's floating around the net then, I had my minidisc player and a mic taped to me.... :D

I remember meeting the forum member "Belin" there too, is he still around?

Alter Ego

#34 Post by Alter Ego »

It might be a case of One and One Make Five, but I heard a podcast interview with Richard X last week in which he said he'd been working on an E.P. with an artists but it had now turned into an album. He couldn't disclose who the artist was but it just might be

boyjohn

#35 Post by boyjohn »

Alter Ego wrote: Wed 22 Jun 2022, 1:03 pm It might be a case of One and One Make Five, but I heard a podcast interview with Richard X last week in which he said he'd been working on an E.P. with an artists but it had now turned into an album. He couldn't disclose who the artist was but it just might be
I would love a whole LP that sounds like Fugitive.....but I suppose it would sound a bit outdated at this point
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

euroboy

#36 Post by euroboy »

boyjohn wrote: Wed 22 Jun 2022, 1:44 pm
Alter Ego wrote: Wed 22 Jun 2022, 1:03 pm It might be a case of One and One Make Five, but I heard a podcast interview with Richard X last week in which he said he'd been working on an E.P. with an artists but it had now turned into an album. He couldn't disclose who the artist was but it just might be
I would love a whole LP that sounds like Fugitive.....but I suppose it would sound a bit outdated at this point
I would like an LP that sounded like Please. But I think that would sound old-fashioned. Also an LP with the greatest hits but reinterpreted with new sounds like the ones they've played live at Dreamworld would be great. For example, Suburbia or It's a Sin sound amazing live.

Parkol

#37 Post by Parkol »

I think the cover will be blue and yellow and the songs will be about Ukraine. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there's something about Russia in a negative sense. In Russia we don't expect Pet Shop Boys to portray Russia in a positive way. I understand Pet Shop Boys, but in my opinion, when Yugoslavia, Iraq, Libya, Syria were being bombed, I don't remember Pet Shop Boys paying that much attention.

ubik

#38 Post by ubik »

Roundhead General

#39 Post by Roundhead General »

redsock wrote:
Roundhead General wrote: Tue 21 Jun 2022, 11:31 am

Dot music,
Sky
Hehe! No way?! :lol: That's a good memory!

You're probably on the recording of the concert that's floating around the net then, I had my minidisc player and a mic taped to me.... :D

I remember meeting the forum member "Belin" there too, is he still around?
I downloaded it when you made it available and yes you can hear me on it! I still have it recorded on minidisc myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

Rorie

#40 Post by Rorie »

The story of Pet Shop Boys is one of persistence, perseverance, and prolific song writing.

By 2009, the Brits, they had legend status. They had been together for twenty-five years commercially. They had a huge number of hits. No one could call them a flash in the pan at that point. They were part of the musical establishment. Evidence of that was their inclusion in the 2012 Olympics.

DopeFiend

New Music Confirmed - EP coming

#41 Post by DopeFiend »

Quote from a recent article
new music — possibly an EP with songs about modern fascism — will be incoming.
This has to be the biggest news of the decade for PSB, let's discuss!
What do you expect and hope for?

Creating a new thread as the other has been derailed.

(Source: "Pet Shop Boys: pop’s great survivors on Glastonbury, Taylor Swift and Napoleon III"
interview from The Times magazine, June 19 2022)

[MERGED]

Future Lover

#42 Post by Future Lover »

The fact that you created a new thread only for it to be merged as such made me chuckle for some reason.
Well, I expect the usual suspects to pop up, Trump, BoJo, Putin, your anti-democracy buffoons. Don't think they'll be reaching for abortion rights and TERFs, especially since Frances Barber is one, but I would like it if they steered away from comedy. I need biting, caustic, penetrating lyrics about things that are really happening to us, and potent production to shake us off-axis.

Dog

#43 Post by Dog »

Interesting that Neil didn’t specifically mention this potential EP in the Zoe Ball interview. But I think the words he used when talking about new material are interesting:

“Over the various lockdowns we must have written about two albums and we’ve also written a musical. So we’re going to be working on those. We have an idea… I don’t know when the next songs going to come out, we haven’t really discussed… maybe we’ll start work after the New Order thing. But we have got a tonne of new songs.”

I wonder what the idea is? Is it the EP? Interesting that he swaps from talking about albums to “the next songs”. They aren’t usually this non-committal and unclear around what they are doing. I still think there’s every chance they’ve something ready to drop, potentially next week, post-Glastonbury and to tie in to the new date announcement.
Woof.

euroboy

#44 Post by euroboy »

If you have written new songs during this time, then will you work on a new LP after the tour? If so, that's fantastic news.

E-Mail Vampire

#45 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

With Hotspot being pretty much dead on arrival thanks to the global issue and Dreamworld dates going into 2023, I would be surprised if they waited until next year to work on theses tracks and ideas with a potential 2024 release. Especially with vinyl pressings on an 7-8 month waiting list