New EP incoming?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
glennjridge

Re: New EP incoming?

#46 Post by glennjridge »

Strike while the irons hot I say. if this political stuff is causing a stir why sit on these tunes, put them out when they are relevant.
I just hope the music is something fresh, I have spent alot of time with Hotspot and its pretty down the list of fav albums.

but maybe I've just fused it with corona, but I think most of the tracks are a tad uninspired. not bad, but they can do much much better. there was alot of turmoil during the fundamental years but somehow I have such fond memories of that album. it felt like a huge undertaking with one epic song after another but they pulled it off so well.

jasonjohn

#47 Post by jasonjohn »

An EP acknowledging a changing world would be amazing. The landscape of self-centred music is rife, and they've always had topical songs from day one, beyond the me me me.

Honestly, there's so much meanness around these days, on different levels, it's actually weird the charts barely raise a challenge.

You'd expect a strong track to slide into the tour, no?

jasonjohn

#48 Post by jasonjohn »

a mere 3 (and a bit) pages of comments.

C'mon, new material speculation is the stuff we live for, surely :)

Disco.

#49 Post by Disco. »

:D

eastendboy

#50 Post by eastendboy »

I think we will see something released during the tour with new order or just before. The songs are already done and it’s just a matter of when they choose to release it and I’ve not looked at ticket sales but there might be some venues that need a boost in sales.

jasonjohn

#51 Post by jasonjohn »

I’d just love some song titles to stew over

Bring back the days if knowing the cover art and some song titles for a week before you even hear a note sung

DopeFiend

#52 Post by DopeFiend »

After the heresay (there was no direct quote) of a new EP being on the way, Neil said (this time in his words) that they've written 2 albums of music and a musical but haven't discussed how they'll be releasing it.
So I no longer expect an EP to come. He was asked about new music and didn't mention it. Who knows what words were actually exchanged in the interview where the EP was mentioned. They also said it'd be political, who wants that.
"Save Ukraike, Putin is evil" yadda yadda. Maybe the interviewer got mixed up with the already released EP touching those subjects, we don't know because there's no direct quote. (Which obviously annoys me!)

Anyway I hope they realllllly refine and polish the next album. And don't choose a weird niche theme such as Berlin.
People want something that's like Please.
When I say refined, think of the recent songs that we all say sound like demos. The remixes or Cricket Wife.
We need the new music to be fully fleshed out.

I've been listening to Kanye's Donda and reading into it. The track Hurricane was in development for 3 years and has 38 known demo versions that have surfaced. Many of the demos are really good on their own, but listening through a few it's clear it kept getting better as it'd take shape and new turns. They even took out a lot of elements, leaving the strongest bits to stand out more. It's really fascinating but it made me appreciate the process of revising a song until it's just right.

In the Dreamworld tour we hear updated versions of songs. Monkey Business is better, and they could have had the same improvements on the original release. Specifically when Neil sings along to the talkbox vocals.
In the album and radio mix you can't hear the word "funky" because of the effects, it sounds like it only says monkey business. In the live version there's both talkbox and unfiltered vocals at the same time, it's much better.

I think we're all sick of sub-par PSB tracks that sound unfinished. Even the latest b-sides like Rock Bottom and New Boy.
I mean just listen to Purple Zone. Not really what you expect from the world's most prolific synth pop duo is it?

I want the next release to hit really hard, to take us on a journey, to not feel crowded but still have nuisanced layers.
It needs proper production. No home iPhone recordings or any shortcuts taken.

I'd much prefer they pour over the songs to perfection even if it means a later launch.
Hotspot has a 0.4 out of 10 rating on Spotify Stats (auto-generated rating from streaming metrics), and most fans even here weren't thrilled by it. I don't want PSB making the same mistakes.
Keep anything less than mind blowingly fantastic as b-sides. Get savvy with producer selection.
I want something fresh.

Anyway they're working on the new material now as the tour has ended and I'm looking forward to whatever is released.

Future Lover

#53 Post by Future Lover »

God, what an overlong bitter tirade. I don't think anyone should be taking notes from Kanye of all people at this point, his process isn't something to be admired, it's a nightmare of forever unfinished tracks that never have a definitive version because of their creator's mental issues.
I, for one, look forward to their fascism EP (NO DIRECT QUOTE, GASP).

Old Soak

#54 Post by Old Soak »

DopeFiend wrote: Wed 27 Jul 2022, 7:52 pm After the heresay (there was no direct quote) of a new EP being on the way, Neil said (this time in his words) that they've written 2 albums of music and a musical but haven't discussed how they'll be releasing it.
So I no longer expect an EP to come. He was asked about new music and didn't mention it. Who knows what words were actually exchanged in the interview where the EP was mentioned. They also said it'd be political, who wants that.
"Save Ukraike, Putin is evil" yadda yadda. Maybe the interviewer got mixed up with the already released EP touching those subjects, we don't know because there's no direct quote. (Which obviously annoys me!)

Anyway I hope they realllllly refine and polish the next album. And don't choose a weird niche theme such as Berlin.
People want something that's like Please.
When I say refined, think of the recent songs that we all say sound like demos. The remixes or Cricket Wife.
We need the new music to be fully fleshed out.

I've been listening to Kanye's Donda and reading into it. The track Hurricane was in development for 3 years and has 38 known demo versions that have surfaced. Many of the demos are really good on their own, but listening through a few it's clear it kept getting better as it'd take shape and new turns. They even took out a lot of elements, leaving the strongest bits to stand out more. It's really fascinating but it made me appreciate the process of revising a song until it's just right.

In the Dreamworld tour we hear updated versions of songs. Monkey Business is better, and they could have had the same improvements on the original release. Specifically when Neil sings along to the talkbox vocals.
In the album and radio mix you can't hear the word "funky" because of the effects, it sounds like it only says monkey business. In the live version there's both talkbox and unfiltered vocals at the same time, it's much better.

I think we're all sick of sub-par PSB tracks that sound unfinished. Even the latest b-sides like Rock Bottom and New Boy.
I mean just listen to Purple Zone. Not really what you expect from the world's most prolific synth pop duo is it?

I want the next release to hit really hard, to take us on a journey, to not feel crowded but still have nuisanced layers.
It needs proper production. No home iPhone recordings or any shortcuts taken.

I'd much prefer they pour over the songs to perfection even if it means a later launch.
Hotspot has a 0.4 out of 10 rating on Spotify Stats (auto-generated rating from streaming metrics), and most fans even here weren't thrilled by it. I don't want PSB making the same mistakes.
Keep anything less than mind blowingly fantastic as b-sides. Get savvy with producer selection.
I want something fresh.

Anyway they're working on the new material now as the tour has ended and I'm looking forward to whatever is released.
I don't think any PSB track sound unfinished, demos excepted. Tracks mutate and one of the joys of the live concerts is when a reworked version pops up to give long term fans a bonus yet keep newer fans who just want to hear the hits satisfied.

Who the hell cares about Spotify stats? Spotify is well named, for spotty teenagers who never get out of their bedroom, neber buy music and who care not about PSB, listening to interminably boring rap instead. Fans who have followed their career are old enough to still buy physical. Software for 10 year olds.

B-sides are the hidden joy for PSB fans in the know. Generalist fans only know the hits, but the real treasure is the bonus tracks. Long may they continue to be largely superior to many album cuts.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

jasonjohn

#55 Post by jasonjohn »

They also said it'd be political, who wants that. "Save Ukraike, Putin is evil" yadda yadda
It's like you're living in your own petty multiverse where they write albums only for you, and the rest of the humanity doesn't exist.

And it stinks.

euroboy

#56 Post by euroboy »

The important thing is that there is new material to make new albums. Whatever their approach.

We should be in luck because few groups remain like them and personally I don't give importance to the approach they give to these because knowing their trajectory since the 80's I know that with each new material they will surprise us.

I prefer to be happy because there is new material and new concerts.

jasonjohn

#57 Post by jasonjohn »

euroboy wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022, 8:26 am I prefer to be happy because there is new material and new concerts.
Good approach. They've got an extensive back catalogue, and I've always said they've earned to right to sprinkle their career with whatever colours they damn well want! Any morsel they throw our way now is a pure delight!

y3potential

#58 Post by y3potential »

eastendboy wrote: Tue 26 Jul 2022, 10:23 pm I think we will see something released during the tour with new order or just before. The songs are already done and it’s just a matter of when they choose to release it and I’ve not looked at ticket sales but there might be some venues that need a boost in sales.
With respect, when you say "the songs are already done" do you mean they are written or also recorded..? If they are recorded could you tell us where you found out this information..? Neil has mentioned two albums worth of songs have been written, but nothing about them being recorded, unless I've missed that..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Future Lover

#59 Post by Future Lover »

A classic case of "no direct quote" there!

retrofuturist

#60 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
jasonjohn wrote: Thu 28 Jul 2022, 5:00 am
They also said it'd be political, who wants that. "Save Ukraike, Putin is evil" yadda yadda
It's like you're living in your own petty multiverse where they write albums only for you, and the rest of the humanity doesn't exist.

And it stinks.
Personally, I really liked the idea of Agenda being separate from Hotspot. Politics has become so politically charged over the past decade, and people's world-views based on such different premises that you can't even arrive at mutual agreement nowadays on what they ought to be called. That's not to shame any one or the other, only to suggest it's a predictable by-product of the ability for people to create their own custom on-line echo chambers that become increasingly detached from and incompatible with one another. (Maybe that subject itself warrants a song? Themes of isolation and distance are very common in the back catalouge... :idea: )

Their recent b-side "Decide" demonstrates to me that they still have the song-writing ability to do a political song that doesn't insult the intelligence of its listeners, and it's a rich tradition with many great stops along the way... In The Night, Opportunities, Shopping, The Theatre, I'm With Stupid, Integral, Fugitive, Twentieth Century, We're All Criminals Now, The Dictator Decides etc. The question is whether they want to, or whether they want to provide us with another round of unchallenging Guardian pastiche off-cuts.

If it's of the calibre of the above-listed songs, it will be an absolute treat... and you can quote me on that.

Retro. :)