Discography 2022 Reissue

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
303krs

Re: Discography 2022 Reissue

#16 Post by 303krs »

A reissue with a new booklet of course !
"...Many roads will cross through many lives
but somehow you survive..."

Old Soak

#17 Post by Old Soak »

The timing would be good given the tour, but I can't recall any 'Greatest Hits' package ever simply being updated with bonus discs which makes me suspicious - correct me if I'm wrong. Its usual to reissue a new rehash with slightly changed track listings under a variant of "Greatest Hits", "Best of", Ultimate", Essential", "Definitive", "Singles 19xx-20xx" ad infinitum or do a "Volume 2", "Volume 3" etc. Think of Elton's - Diamonds is the latest, much the same as previous but shuffled. And don't get me started on The Rolling Stones...
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Dog

#18 Post by Dog »

Old Soak wrote:The timing would be good given the tour, but I can't recall any 'Greatest Hits' package ever simply being updated with bonus discs which makes me suspicious - correct me if I'm wrong. Its usual to reissue a new rehash with slightly changed track listings under a variant of "Greatest Hits", "Best of", Ultimate", Essential", "Definitive", "Singles 19xx-20xx" ad infinitum or do a "Volume 2", "Volume 3" etc. Think of Elton's - Diamonds is the latest, much the same as previous but shuffled. And don't get me started on The Rolling Stones...
Yes, I agree. However I think they are self-conscious about the fact that they already have three hits compilations available and that releasing a fourth would be superfluous. And Discography as it stands is an incomplete complete singles collection. This is a good way of correcting the catalogue without the kind of desperation described above.
Woof.

Nervously

#19 Post by Nervously »

Old Soak wrote: Sun 08 May 2022, 8:25 pm The timing would be good given the tour, but I can't recall any 'Greatest Hits' package ever simply being updated with bonus discs which makes me suspicious - correct me if I'm wrong.
I think Erasure did this (Pop!/Total Pop!). I'm sure there are other examples but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

The idea of this is something I actually remember saying PSB should do, on this forum once. (Edit: See below) Weird that it might actually happen. I think the omission of any Agenda tracks is justified as it was marketed as a proper EP rather than a single. On that basis however I think they should have left off the Christmas song, if this is real. (Also because I don't like Christmas songs on a non-Christmas compilation!)

Re: 2017: "New Batch" of reissued & remastered albums w/ Further Listening albums
Nervously wrote: Fri 06 Jan 2017, 2:45 pm
Drico One wrote:
I wonder if they ever considered releasing, say, three volumes of singles at the same time? For example, release three separate CDs or volumes, each one containing around 16 tracks. I think they've had about 50 singles, so whatever a reasonably equitable distribution of tracks - in chronological order - across three simultaneous releases would be. Call the collection Singularly, and each disc would come with that prefix followed by "Volume 1/2/3". The Singularly title would be an in-joke on the fact that, strictly speaking, they are breaking their "one word titles" convention, but collectively maintaining it. Nothing like a bit of PSB ambiguity...
Why think of a new title for it? Just simply re-issue "Discography", and simultaneously release "Discography vol. 2" and "Discography vol.3" , and vol. 4 too if and when there's enough to fill it. Then also have all the volumes available together as well as separately.

I don't think PopArt was such a bad compilation, incidentally. The concept of dividing the songs into 2 categories didn't really work IMO as most of the songs could have gone on either disc. But if you weren't too bothered about sequencing (I'm generally not) it did the job fine. Ultimate was a botched job- it should have either been a 2 disc set only slightly revising PopArt or a single disc only slightly revising Discography. Or not released at all.

PopKid78

#20 Post by PopKid78 »

If it is official, it’s good to see that they’ve decided to recreate the album campaign from the original release, by doing the same amount of promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flaffer

#21 Post by Flaffer »

:D
PopKid78 wrote: Mon 09 May 2022, 12:55 am If it is official, it’s good to see that they’ve decided to recreate the album campaign from the original release, by doing the same amount of promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:clap: :D That could be the best comment on this forum ever
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

davenjulieuk

#22 Post by davenjulieuk »

Miracles happen when you're around...

retrofuturist

#23 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

The whole thing seems a little fake and dubious... like a prank done by a fan created before he left the company, and uploaded into the record company's database of upcoming releases.

Aside from the Together/Christmas sequencing issue mentioned, some of the labelling of mixes seems off. For example, why are some referred to as single version (e.g. Yesterday When I Was Mad) but some songs which had single versions have no mention of whether it's the single version or album version (e.g. Before, A Red Letter Day, I Don't Know What You Want...) and why would they include the album version of any of these? Why do the newer tracks have "feat." credits whereas Dusty gets nothing? And where's the love for Axis, FFS. :grumble:

And of course it only appearing in Australia, and the release date having passed, but still being Pre-Order awaiting stock.

But then, I also thought that the leaked Nightlife Further Listening CD track-listings looked weak and bogus, so who knows.

Retro. :)

Dog

#24 Post by Dog »

davenjulieuk wrote:Spotify playlist here…

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0Pqii ... TGPgyYyHhQ
Looks good. To be pedantic (and why not) you should consider swapping I wouldn’t normally do for the Further Listening version (it’s not the single version on PopArt), Minimal for the radio edit and Numb for the new radio version. They are all on Spotify.
Woof.

TallThinMan

#25 Post by TallThinMan »

Why would they issue a new singles compilation with the same name as one from 31 years ago? That doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't seem like their style.

Don't listen to me though - I was completely wrong about the Soft Cell collaboration!

daveid

#26 Post by daveid »

Some of those Spotify tracks say 2001 remaster. Why not 2017 remaster? And others say 2003 remaster. Why would tracks from Release have been remastered in 2003? PopArt, just one year later?

zukunft

#27 Post by zukunft »

I think - if it‘s official - they should name it „Discography - Dreamworld Tour Edition“ with a new sleeve design.

Andie

#28 Post by Andie »

JB are usually very reliable, so I think this is genuine. I'll keep an eye on their website, I might preorder.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

psbfannyc

#29 Post by psbfannyc »

Maybe they are selling it at the upcoming shows?

Palpatine

#30 Post by Palpatine »

This reminded me of how ropy some of their single choices have been post Go West.