Discography 2022 Reissue

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
davenjulieuk

Discography 2022 Reissue

#1 Post by davenjulieuk »

Listed here…

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/cd-p ... tID=585319

3 CD

TRACKLISTING

CD1
1 West End Girls
2 Love Comes Quickly
3 Opportunities (Let's Make Lots Of Money)
4 Suburbia
5 It's A Sin
6 What Have I Done To Deserve This?
7 Rent
8 Always On My Mind
9 Heart
10 Domino Dancing
11 Left To My Own Devices
12 It's Alright
13 So Hard
14 Bering Boring
15 Where The Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You)
16 Jealousy
17 DJ Culture
18 Was It Worth It?
CD2
1 Can you forgive her?
2 Go West
3 I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing (SevenInch Version)
4 Liberation
5 Yesterday, when I was mad (Single Version)
6 Paninaro 95
7 Before
8 Se a Vida è
9 Single-Bilingual
10 A red letter day
11 Somewhere
12 I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more
13 New York City boy (US radio edit)
14 You only tell me you love me when you're drunk
15 Home and dry
16 I get along (radio edit)
17 Miracles (Radio Edit)
18 Flamboyant (7 Mix)
CD3
1 I'm with stupid
2 Minimal (radio edit)
3 Numb (Single Edit)
4 Love etc
5 Did you see me coming?
6 Together (Ultimate mix)
7 It doesn't often snow at Christmas (new version)
8 Winner
9 Leaving
10 Memory of the future (new single mix)
11 Vocal
12 Love is a bourgeois construct (Nighttime radio edit)
13 Thursday (feat. Example) (radio edit)
14 The pop kids (radio edit)
15 Twenty-something (radio edit)
16 Say it to me (new radio mix)
17 Dreamland (feat. Years & Years)
18 Monkey business (radio edit)
19 I don't wanna (radio edit)
Miracles happen when you're around...

leesmapman

Re: Discography 2022 Reissue

#2 Post by leesmapman »

No Burning the Heather? That even was a genuine 7"
Last edited by leesmapman on Sun 08 May 2022, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disco.

#3 Post by Disco. »

Weird we haven’t heard about this !

TwizzleUK

#4 Post by TwizzleUK »

leesmapman wrote: Sun 08 May 2022, 10:22 am No Burning the Heather? That even was a genuine 7"
Assuming this is genuine (no mention of it anywhere else in my Google search - maybe an Australian only release or dodgy listing?), perhaps that's all they could cram on 3 CDs. Shame to call it "complete" singles if it's missing several of them. Also missing the Perfect Immaculate 7 inch mix of 'Integral', which was available digitally and had a video. And missing 'Axis', which was a single (again, with a video) and had a radio edit. Also missing anything from the Agenda EP ('Give Stupidity A Chance' was the lead track). And of course the 7" version of 'How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?'

Also, 'It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas'/'Christmas EP' was released before 'Together' - this listing has them the wrong way round chronologically.

I'd've switched out 'It Doesn't Often Snow...' for 'All Over The World (New Version)', as that was the track on that EP that had the promotional video. Still, I can always stick to my own PSB singles playlist!

Wonder if 'Vocal' will be the full length album mix or the video/promo radio edit?

An updated 'Discography' like this could generate a lot of sales though. Wonder if there'll be an updated Videography release too?
Last edited by TwizzleUK on Sun 08 May 2022, 1:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

TwizzleUK

#5 Post by TwizzleUK »

[Duplicate post]

y3potential

#6 Post by y3potential »

I totally understand this release as a tie in with the Dreamworld tour, but at the moment it feels a bit Bootleggy.. Hopefully I'm wrong and there will be an announcement on the official PSB website in the next few days..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Drico One

#7 Post by Drico One »

That site says that release date is May 6, 2022. Last Friday. I realise these things can be hit and miss, but this seems a little peculiar. So, with that caveat...

If this is confirmed, I'd say that was a pretty comprehensive and "complete" record of their singles discography. The likes of Inner Sanctum, Axis, and Burning the Heather were always "promotional singles" as far as I am concerned - tracks sent to radio without ever really being given the full singles release treatment. For me, and, yes, this is somewhat arbitrary and subjective, if it didn't appear as a CD single from the 1990s onwards, it wasn't a full single in the traditional sense (even if "tradition" has largely gone out the window as technology has rapidly transformed formats). This is simply a personal viewpoint, but it's why I never viewed Integral as a single, more a bonus curio with a non-commercial remix.

The bigger issue for me is the absence of anything from Agenda. That said, the EP CD was only available to Literally/Annually buyers, so it's probably an acceptable omission on those grounds (given capacity restraints are always going to kick in). And let's face it, nobody considers Cricket Wife to be a single...

So, if nothing else, this set seems to redefine what Pet Shop Boys consider a single (unless I have inadvertently missed some huge inconsistency which somebody will be along to point out in five, four, three...).

I love this forum.

Last point - and the most important one from my perspective: Please, Parlophone, if it is indeed you, ensure that ALL tracks are actual single versions. Let there be no repeat of the Heart album version - as per PopArt - or any other such sloppiness on this soon to be truly "incomplete" singles collection when Neil and Chris release a new single as soon as they can get around it it.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

TwizzleUK

#8 Post by TwizzleUK »

Yes Drico, I think you're right. The criteria for this tracklist would be that the only singles included post 'Its A Sin' are ones for which a commercially available CD single was released.

leesmapman

#9 Post by leesmapman »

Drico One wrote: Sun 08 May 2022, 12:31 pm Burning the Heather [was] always "promotional single[s]" as far as I am concerned -

[...]

So, if nothing else, this set seems to redefine what Pet Shop Boys consider a single (unless I have inadvertently missed some huge inconsistency which somebody will be along to point out in five, four, three...).
It did have a proper b-side (and a good one too).

Flaffer

#10 Post by Flaffer »

Perhaps it’ll be available as merchandise on the tour, cut out the middle man. Seems strange it’s branded Discography, although that is their best known compilation and probably most acclaimed. It would be very easy to use the Dreamworld silhouettes and change with the existing Discography photo
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

boyjohn

#12 Post by boyjohn »

You would think they could have put the 7" version of How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? on it if it is real.....I mean it was part of a double A side single and seems to always be missing from these type of things.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

TwizzleUK

#13 Post by TwizzleUK »

Flaffer wrote: Sun 08 May 2022, 1:20 pm Perhaps it’ll be available as merchandise on the tour, cut out the middle man. Seems strange it’s branded Discography, although that is their best known compilation and probably most acclaimed. It would be very easy to use the Dreamworld silhouettes and change with the existing Discography photo
If this is a genuine upcoming release, maybe that's a placeholder cover. If they are updating 'Discography', surely they'd have to change the artwork to make it noticeable on the shelves - rather than release it again in the same 31 year old cover.

TwizzleUK

#14 Post by TwizzleUK »

boyjohn wrote: Sun 08 May 2022, 2:20 pm You would think they could have put the 7" version of How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously? on it if it is real.....I mean it was part of a double A side single and seems to always be missing from these type of things.
Guess they want to keep the tracklist of the first disc the same as the original 'Discography'.

Dog

#15 Post by Dog »

Interesting! Obviously we wait for official confirmation but I think there’s definitely space in the catalogue for a new singles collection and it makes perfect sense to update Discography. After all, Ultimate is their one-disc greatest hits. The majority of the mix titles are the ones you would expect to see which lends this some credibility. And I think it’s a good and fair representation of what we can officially agree of as singles.

I’m not surprised to see disc one left unchanged from the original Discography. Neil has already revised Seriously to b-side status. Where Seriously was omitted from disc one originally due to timing restrictions (Discography is a very full 1hr 17mins), here there would still be room on discs two and three for extra material: the disc two tracklisting clocks in at 1hr 14mins, while disc three is an even shorter 1hr 12mins. So any omissions are purposeful. Maybe only Burning the heather is a surprise though. The reorder of Together and It doesn’t often snow at Christmas is hopefully a mistake here rather than something that has followed through to the mastering stage. Personally I would have preferred All over the world to Christmas to give a listening experience better suited to all seasons, but we do know Neil and Chris are particularly proud of that track.

One point of interest is that (I think) this is the first time we see X2 material licensed back to Parlophone for release. It bodes well for future reissues which would need to cross over both eras, such as a third b-sides collection.

I do wonder if we’ll see an updated sleeve. And possibly a 6-LP set? I’ll be surprised if we don’t see an official PSB communication ahead of the first Dreamworld date on Tuesday, so if this release is real then maybe we will hear more news then.
Woof.