Anecdote about Chris from his ex-neighbour

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TallThinMan

Anecdote about Chris from his ex-neighbour

#1 Post by TallThinMan »

I just came across this interesting YouTube comment:

I used to live next door to Chris in London he had an amazing apartment with a glass bridge in his bedroom which took him to his roof garden the roof opened up with the press of a button...really smart place it was years ago.

I saw him often and he always chatted to me and my then partner he moved out soon after the loss of his then boyfriend who he lost to complications to aids. He went really downhill and so sad and depressed it was a terrible time for Chris bless him.

He left loads of stuff behind in the storage cupboard outside out flats in the long hallway including a rare signed damien hirst spot painting which I still have and 4 italian leather scatter cushions also a designer leather jacket I also still have in storage somewhere oh and a stained stussy hat too.

There was loads of other stuff I should have kept which was probably expensive and collectable including tapes and notepads I kick myself but he was just Chris next door to me I didn't know he was a pop star at the time I knew he worked in the music business but didn't know of the pet shop Boys at the time. He drove a red porche convertible but always with the hood up hahaha yeah nice guy x

From https://youtu.be/ZkKvww3zsq8
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

telys

Re: Anecdote about Chris from his ex-neighbour

#2 Post by telys »

I believe I read this somewhere before... what's the likelihood it's fake? I'd say above 50 %
----
You've got me all wrong

ChoonHound

#3 Post by ChoonHound »

I’d have looted the shit of that apartment.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

TallThinMan

#4 Post by TallThinMan »

telys wrote: Thu 05 May 2022, 6:15 pm I believe I read this somewhere before... what's the likelihood it's fake? I'd say above 50 %
Could be. The dates are a bit iffy. Pete Andreas died in 1994, but I believe the comment is referring to Chris’s Clerkenwell flat as featured in Elle Decoration magazine in 1997.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

TallThinMan

#5 Post by TallThinMan »

Luke Colorado wrote: Thu 05 May 2022, 6:28 pm I’d have looted the shit of that apartment.
You and the person who left the comment apparently!

PopArt

#6 Post by PopArt »

Not sure the dates/Info adds up. From my memory of things Chris was living with Pete in Highbury when he died. Then didn’t he basically live with Neil for about a year after that? I remember Neil mentioning it in an interview around the Very-era. After that I think Chris went to the Clerkenwell flat.

Somewhere I have the details of that flat from when Chris sold it in 2007. I seem to recall it was the penthouse (ie top floor) so seems odd that he had neighbours?

Either way, all the info this person references is in the public domain (beyond the cupboard stuff). So there’s no real way of knowing whether it’s true or not.
I'm always waiting...

psbfannyc

#7 Post by psbfannyc »

Uh

Flaffer

#8 Post by Flaffer »

There’s nothing in that post that couldn’t be posted by someone with a fan knowledge of Chris akin to most of us on this forum. I can’t imagine him driving a red Porsche either, perhaps he meant Ferrari but red is very showy for someone who wants to be One of the Crowd. The dates are completely out if it does refer to Pete Andreas. The initial architectural sketches for apartment are dated 1994 iirc, the build wouldn’t likely have been knocked up in a matter of weeks.
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

TallThinMan

#9 Post by TallThinMan »

PopArt wrote: Thu 05 May 2022, 8:50 pm Not sure the dates/Info adds up. From my memory of things Chris was living with Pete in Highbury when he died. Then didn’t he basically live with Neil for about a year after that? I remember Neil mentioning it in an interview around the Very-era. After that I think Chris went to the Clerkenwell flat.

Somewhere I have the details of that flat from when Chris sold it in 2007. I seem to recall it was the penthouse (ie top floor) so seems odd that he had neighbours?

Either way, all the info this person references is in the public domain (beyond the cupboard stuff). So there’s no real way of knowing whether it’s true or not.
Also, knowing how private Chris is, I can’t imagine him leaving tapes and notebooks behind.

The reference to the signed Damian Hirst painting is oddly specific though.

Flaffer

#10 Post by Flaffer »

Also there doesn’t seem to be a long hallway on those plans. Would he really have left such personal items behind. I call BS. The person this post responds to said he used to be Chris’ parents postman in Newcastle
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Flaffer

#11 Post by Flaffer »

There’s an interview where Neil mention Chris had bought him a Damian Hirst spot painting

Disco.

#12 Post by Disco. »

Flaffer wrote: Thu 05 May 2022, 9:16 pm There’s nothing in that post that couldn’t be posted by someone with a fan knowledge of Chris akin to most of us on this forum. I can’t imagine him driving a red Porsche either, perhaps he meant Ferrari but red is very showy for someone who wants to be One of the Crowd. The dates are completely out if it does refer to Pete Andreas. The initial architectural sketches for apartment are dated 1994 iirc, the build wouldn’t likely have been knocked up in a matter of weeks.
He mentioned himself that he used to own a black Porsche. And Neil has said that he also at one point owned a black Ferrari.

Marie loves PSB

#13 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Disco. wrote: Thu 05 May 2022, 9:48 pm
Flaffer wrote: Thu 05 May 2022, 9:16 pm There’s nothing in that post that couldn’t be posted by someone with a fan knowledge of Chris akin to most of us on this forum. I can’t imagine him driving a red Porsche either, perhaps he meant Ferrari but red is very showy for someone who wants to be One of the Crowd. The dates are completely out if it does refer to Pete Andreas. The initial architectural sketches for apartment are dated 1994 iirc, the build wouldn’t likely have been knocked up in a matter of weeks.
He mentioned himself that he used to own a black Porsche. And Neil has said that he also at one point owned a black Ferrari.
Chris had a black Porsche. We have actually seen it for ourselves. We went to an Arsenal Vs Liverpool match many moons ago and sat in the park near Chris' Highbury flat. We saw Chris come out of his Porsche and go in to his flat. He had very short hair and had an orange top on. Also, after the Highbury flat Chris moved Pete to a home in Hertfordshire in the area called Cold Christmas. I cannot see Chris leaving anything behind when he moved away to be honest so, I would not sadly believe everything you read.

Andie

#14 Post by Andie »

Marie loves PSB wrote: Fri 06 May 2022, 1:15 pm
Disco. wrote: Thu 05 May 2022, 9:48 pm
Chris had a black Porsche. We have actually seen it for ourselves. We went to an Arsenal Vs Liverpool match many moons ago and sat in the park near Chris' Highbury flat. We saw Chris come out of his Porsche and go in to his flat. He had very short hair and had an orange top on. Also, after the Highbury flat Chris moved Pete to a home in Hertfordshire in the area called Cold Christmas. I cannot see Chris leaving anything behind when he moved away to be honest so, I would not sadly believe everything you read.
I've always read that Chris & Pete lived in Cold Christmas. After Pete died Chris sold the property the following year, to Nigel Hawthorne, then he moved in with Neil for a year.
Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

OakeyDokey

#15 Post by OakeyDokey »

Why would someone be sad enough to invent a story like that as a YouTube comment?!