Dreamworld: Spoilers

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Flaffer

Re: Dreamworld: Spoilers

#361 Post by Flaffer »

It was a curly haired Neil on the South Bank Show. I think the clip is from A Life In Pop
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Suburban_Boy

#362 Post by Suburban_Boy »

It's fascinating the subtle changes that are made during the life of the concert. Would be cool if they talked through the thought process in the next Annually, even better if Chris Heath is on tour with them doing a new book! :lol:

TallThinMan

#363 Post by TallThinMan »

Flaffer wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022, 10:00 am It was a curly haired Neil on the South Bank Show. I think the clip is from A Life In Pop
The South Bank Show was from 1991 which means the curls had gone and Neil had his Behaviour crop by that point.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Flaffer

#364 Post by Flaffer »

How weird. I had false recollection of it for some reason. I’m sure the clip played before West End girls is from later though
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

TallThinMan

#365 Post by TallThinMan »

Flaffer wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022, 9:24 pm How weird. I had false recollection of it for some reason. I’m sure the clip played before West End girls is from later though
I agree, it looks later to me. Neil has quite a bit less hair in the clip.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Nickname

#366 Post by Nickname »

Suburban_Boy wrote: Wed 15 Jun 2022, 11:02 am It's fascinating the subtle changes that are made during the life of the concert. Would be cool if they talked through the thought process in the next Annually, even better if Chris Heath is on tour with them doing a new book! :lol:
There are some other hits that could be waiting too.
- Before
- A red letter day
- I'm with stupid

Even a Number 1, I'm not Scared (it was Number 1 in Italy) with Eight Wonder.

Drico One

#367 Post by Drico One »

The interview in the programme was far more insightful than much of what passed for content in the latest Annually. Two nuggets that stood out were Neil's comment that they started the 2010s in a much better place than they did the 2000s and a remark by "a legendary musician" that "it was over" for them after PopArt charted at number 30. I'm guessing, but I suppose this was Elton at his most sensitive. If so, you'd have to wonder why they'd have anything to do with him if he was making comments like this.

I don't recall Neil making any comment on the PopArt chart position before, but it was clearly a bit of a blow. There's definitely a sense reading all of this that they feel very much on the up since the Brits performance in 2009 and that the decade that preceded this from Nightlife really could have been the end of them.

I also enjoyed the casual way they threw in the fact that they really couldn't fit all of their hits into one live show.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

King1

#368 Post by King1 »

Minimal Miracles Flamboyant would be welcome additions to the setlist for me

Nickname

#369 Post by Nickname »

Drico One wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022, 7:10 am The interview in the programme was far more insightful than much of what passed for content in the latest Annually. Two nuggets that stood out were Neil's comment that they started the 2010s in a much better place than they did the 2000s and a remark by "a legendary musician" that "it was over" for them after PopArt charted at number 30. I'm guessing, but I suppose this was Elton at his most sensitive. If so, you'd have to wonder why they'd have anything to do with him if he was making comments like this.

I don't recall Neil making any comment on the PopArt chart position before, but it was clearly a bit of a blow. There's definitely a sense reading all of this that they feel very much on the up since the Brits performance in 2009 and that the decade that preceded this from Nightlife really could have been the end of them.

I also enjoyed the casual way they threw in the fact that they really couldn't fit all of their hits into one live show.

Drico.
Edit: I'm going to create a post about it

The situtation for PSB in 2000s was a bit complicated. Its career was 2 decades long. Pet Shop Boys were not being played on Radio 1 anymore and they were not old enough to be considered pop legends. Chart rules were going to change and PSB had their last Top 10.

They have to reborn again with a younger sound. Yes was a perfect album in that way but the best they could do was to put a bigger effort in the live performances and get the train of music festivals (it was the most successful movement of PSB in the last decades). Just because when they got the Brit Award they started to appear almost on every festival of the world and Es Devlin did a good job with the design. They even had a longer exposure going on tour with Take That.

It was even further with the exposure because of the Olympics. I was fascinated how much they were involucrated on everything about that: Winbledon, closing ceremony (even West End Girls sounded in the opening ceremony) and with the athletes in Buckingham Palace. I really believe they were getting the level of British treasures at that time.

With the last albums, they were getting a bit of younger audiences and now they are pop legends. The Radio 2 concerts (thank you Radio 2 again and again!) made them get a higher status.

That's why you can see many people going to their concerts, many other living pop acts of their generation can't say the same.

Patrick Bateman

#370 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Drico One wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022, 7:10 am The interview in the programme was far more insightful than much of what passed for content in the latest Annually. Two nuggets that stood out were Neil's comment that they started the 2010s in a much better place than they did the 2000s and a remark by "a legendary musician" that "it was over" for them after PopArt charted at number 30. I'm guessing, but I suppose this was Elton at his most sensitive. If so, you'd have to wonder why they'd have anything to do with him if he was making comments like this.

Drico.
PopArt was released late in the year, wasn't it? The previous decade following Very had seen a steady decline in both sales and interest. Though their style of music was coming back in vogue, they were perceived as too old for Radio 1 and their persistence in surviving as a pop act during those years can only be admired.

Of course with their back catalogue they were always going to end up becoming appreciated in the end. Dreamworld shows what an incredible run of hit singles they had, notwithstanding all the album cuts and b-sides we fans know are just as good. Like The Beatles (who were themselves unfashionable by the mid-70s) or The BeeGees, you simply can't deny their brilliance unless you hate pop music.

If it were Reg, then he can do one. So desperate to have hits that he hitches himself to Dua Lipa's thong like a particularly virulent parasite.

Drico One

#371 Post by Drico One »

Yeah, I thought it a pretty tactless comment - unless it was made in jest. Neil seemed to feel affronted, so I think we can assume that the culprit was relishing their apparent commercial demise. Not the kind of person I'd like to count as a "friend". Elton seems like the obvious perpetrator - he recorded In Private with them in December 2003. Johnny Marr doesn't strike me as at all vindictive - though the suggestion that Neil should write books instead is plausibly something he might say. Robbie hardly qualifies as a legendary musician. I can't think of anybody else, unless they are referring to a passing "legend" and not their usual mafia mob.

I did notice in Annually that Neil made a slightly caustic remark that teaming up with Dua Lipa "gave Elton another number one" or words to that effect. It was right on the nose - in every way. That "friendship" seems to have cooled. Not before time...

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

TallThinMan

#372 Post by TallThinMan »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 16 Jun 2022, 7:23 pmLike The Beatles (who were themselves unfashionable by the mid-70s) or The BeeGees, you simply can't deny their brilliance unless you hate pop music.
It’s worth recording that in another two years they will have been making records for five times longer then the Beatles did. Incredible.

Undertaker

#373 Post by Undertaker »

PopArt sold pretty well to be fair. It just got swallowed up by the Christmas Market. 30,000 sales first week? That would normally get you to number 1.

As for Elton John, he's always been a sad act anyway. Saw him at the Lincolnshire Showground a few years ago and it was 2 hours I'll never get back.

MikeyC

#374 Post by MikeyC »

Re: their relationship with Elton…
We STILL do not know exactly what went on with the “It’s a sin” performance at The Brits!

Flaffer

#375 Post by Flaffer »

Like with The Transformers I’m sure there’s more than meets the eye as regards the Brits thing. The comment in Annually in relation was quite terse. Elton John has always struck me as someone with a cruel streak that gets unleashed when he doesn’t get his own way. Of course he could genuinely be cuddly old Reg to his friends