Dreamworld: Spoilers

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
tottenhammattspurs

Re: Dreamworld: Spoilers

#331 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

euroboy wrote: Mon 30 May 2022, 11:40 am Interesting these t-shirts

https://owltee.com/trending/pet-shop-bo ... vin-shirt/
god awful unofficial stuff but still better than some of the actual t-shirt designs on the stands.
is is and isnt isnt

euroboy

#332 Post by euroboy »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022, 11:54 am
euroboy wrote: Mon 30 May 2022, 11:40 am Interesting these t-shirts

https://owltee.com/trending/pet-shop-bo ... vin-shirt/
god awful unofficial stuff but still better than some of the actual t-shirt designs on the stands.
:D :D certainly. I expect better merchandise.

Undertaker

#333 Post by Undertaker »

Not including Performance. Last night in Hull was probably the best show I've ever seen.

Mr Madness

#334 Post by Mr Madness »

The atmosphere at last night’s Hull gig was incredible. Having seen the boys in Manchester and London a couple of weeks ago, it was great to see them in my home city. The Hull crowd didn’t disappoint and certainly gave the audiences at the bigger gigs a run for their money!

You could tell Neil and Chris were enjoying it and probably more than a little surprised at the reaction they got!

For me, it was the best of the three concerts I’ve attended on this tour. On a personal level, I was thrilled the boys retweeted a video I shared ahead of their visit of me playing some of their songs on the bells of Hull Minster! Delighted to have been able to welcome them to ‘ull in a fairly unique way!

euroboy

#335 Post by euroboy »

Mr Madness wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022, 7:20 pm The atmosphere at last night’s Hull gig was incredible. Having seen the boys in Manchester and London a couple of weeks ago, it was great to see them in my home city. The Hull crowd didn’t disappoint and certainly gave the audiences at the bigger gigs a run for their money!

You could tell Neil and Chris were enjoying it and probably more than a little surprised at the reaction they got!

For me, it was the best of the three concerts I’ve attended on this tour. On a personal level, I was thrilled the boys retweeted a video I shared ahead of their visit of me playing some of their songs on the bells of Hull Minster! Delighted to have been able to welcome them to ‘ull in a fairly unique way!
:clap: :clap: fantastic!!!!

looking forward to seeing you in Berlin. I hope that the Mercedes-Benz Arena is up to the task and that it will be a great show.

oakey

#336 Post by oakey »

Went to the Oberhausen show yesterday. A bit weird to see them play in such a large arena (12000 seats I think), but we were in the “arena” block in front of the stage. Everybody kept their place at their seats (folding chairs) during the show (standing of course) and I found the sound surprisingly good for such a large hall. The show was great, but I think I prefer to see them in the smaller venues that I am used to, with the occasional deep cut (this was my fifth PSB show I think since Nightlife).

The Rudolf Weber arena was a mess efficiency-wise though. Endless queues for drinks and food, and very inefficient staff. Food and drinks were mixed at one bar and wine was only available at other bars where they did not sell beer. So for our group of 4 with one wine lover we had to queue up twice (think a 20-25 min wait!). There was only one tiny stand where they only sold beer and sodas, but that one had the longest queue ever.
The parking places were also a mess at the end of the concert but I guess this is the case everywhere.

Did not get the chance to get the tourbook as the merch stand was overcrowded at the end of the show.

They started at 8.15 btw. Set list was the same as all other shows.

Tenlow

#337 Post by Tenlow »

oakey wrote: Sun 05 Jun 2022, 9:47 am Went to the Oberhausen show yesterday. A bit weird to see them play in such a large arena (12000 seats I think), but we were in the “arena” block in front of the stage. Everybody kept their place at their seats (folding chairs) during the show (standing of course) and I found the sound surprisingly good for such a large hall. The show was great, but I think I prefer to see them in the smaller venues that I am used to, with the occasional deep cut (this was my fifth PSB show I think since Nightlife).
Yeah, a German newspaper mentioned 9200 people in the audience and "almost sold out" which is still quite impressive for them here.

An impression of the Oberhausen crowd can be seen here (go to the end of the video):

https://youtu.be/DDDvh4IxIfw
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

oakey

#338 Post by oakey »

It was not completely sold out but the venue did look packed to the roof to me with occasional empty seats/rows

euroboy

#339 Post by euroboy »

Ready for tonight's show at Mercedes-Benz Arena. Here we come Berlin!!!!!!!!

domino

#340 Post by domino »

euroboy wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022, 2:08 pm Ready for tonight's show at Mercedes-Benz Arena. Here we come Berlin!!!!!!!!
Me too :)
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

euroboy

#341 Post by euroboy »

domino wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022, 5:34 pm
euroboy wrote: Sat 11 Jun 2022, 2:08 pm Ready for tonight's show at Mercedes-Benz Arena. Here we come Berlin!!!!!!!!
Me too :)
Ready!!!!!

https://ibb.co/Kzk7Xsx

Drico One

Berlin, 11/06/22

#343 Post by Drico One »

If the crowd at Berlin's Warschauer Straße Arena is anything to go by, then the music plays forever. Here, a stone's throw from the Wall, Pet Shop Boys triumphantly and imperiously returned “home”. The fragrant Further away, in brand new Dreamworld merchandise, and the flagrant me enjoyed an evening of Zimmer frame-rattling rambunctiousness as part of an attendance that would have graced the Christian Democratic Union's annual convention. I exaggerate - but only slightly.

"Generations will come and go", intones the über-slick Neil Tennant, but it's clear that our heroes have taken the generation they became unofficial spokesmen for in the 1980s and held on to it tightly. This is a well-to-do, affluent, middle-aged, middle-class crowd dotted with a few of Berlin's more exotic creations. One suspects it would be equally at home at next year's Elton John performance at this very venue. Yet, there are children here too. This is what timelessness really looks like. This is what longevity means. This is what becoming part of the foundations of western popular music entails. Permanence.

I was last in this cavernous monument to the automobile industry - hey, it's Germany - in December 2010 for the Pandemonium tour. The crowd this time around is much larger. It’s as if time has given the well-heeled mainstream the chance to absorb one of the greatest pop catalogues in history and preserve it for themselves and all who follow. The test of time has been passed. This is success.

There is an effortless confidence to the whole performance. If pop music has a Champions League, this is what it looks like. These songs draw this crowd. This crowd funds this show. This show propels this act, this movement, this brand. To tour. To record. To exist. Forever. A self-perpetuating pop dreamworld, so to speak.

Of course, some of us knew greatness when we saw it over 30 years ago at Performance. Even then it was clear to those of us paying attention that a ticket to the greatest pop show on Earth was gold dust – even if a global pandemic was going to make us look at it as a kind of financial investment in the future where its value could rise or fall. Ours was a one-way bet.

A warm, muggy Berlin day gave way to a cooler, dry-ice filled arena when we finally emerged into this temple of high-end, high-spend entertainment. Simply Red will be here soon, apparently. And Harry Styles. Some sort of live Harry Potter show will also grace this home of Berlin basketball and ice hockey. One Harry or another, you suspect you could swap Styles for Potter and few would genuinely notice. The massive corporate logo that dominates the rafters of this vast, soulless cathedral to industrialised entertainment catches the eye – as it was unquestionably designed to do. Spectators stream in, willing captives about to be consumed.

In this environment, Dreamworld makes complete sense, engineered, tooled, and primed as it is to launch one battalion of inter-continental ballistic singles after another into the firmament of well-heeled, lucrative pop permanence. So we start with Suburbia, Can You Forgive Her?, Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots of Money), and Where the Streets Have No Name (Can’t Take My Eyes Off You) – a poptastic shock and awe that points to the vast arsenal of hit artillery that patrols the intergalactic borders of “Dreamworld.” This pop planet is utterly mined. One hit after another is primed to blow you away.

And now another barrage. Rent. I Don’t Know What You Want (But I Do Really). So Hard. Left to My Own Devices. Would these devices be nuclear-tipped pop munitions, perhaps? The whole effect is mesmerizing. The giant electronic screens that provide the backdrop to this extravaganza seethe and crackle with belligerent intent. You. Will. Be. Entertained.

This is not nostalgia. This is industrial-scale catalogue exploitation designed to extract every available currency. The iconography of the past (“BOY” hats, trench-coats, posing as a duo) dovetails with futuristic clobber, Tennant as celestial electro-mage in silver glitter garb, and Chris Lowe at the central controls, on-high, of the imperial pop battlecruiser ready to detonate the next battery of a-grade atomic a-sides. You. Will. Be. Impressed.

In the programme, Neil talks of living in a dreamworld where Dreamland is an international hit. Right here, right now, it certainly feels like one. Monkey Business, too, showcases a simple fact: generations may come and go, but the music is as good as ever. Friedhelm, 54, is just not likely to buy the single any more when a ticket to Dreamworld can transport him to whatever place and time he longs to live in. The charts, as we knew them, exist only in the way the Berlin Wall, yards away, does. As a kind of sepia-toned monument in aspic where people point and wonder: “was it really like this?”

The bombardment continues. Always On My Mind. Heart. What Have I Done to Deserve This? One Nagasaki followed by a couple of Hiroshimas. There is no let up. “Hear a song. That’s the bomb!” It’s A Sin detonates like an intergalactic declaration of war, the backdrop conveying a blood-red Martian invasion in ways that would have made Stephen Spielberg blush. West End Girls takes us on the transporter to Soho, 1985. Is this a Holodeck? Lowe looks timeless. Beam Me Up! And then to Being Boring, the backdrop of endless motorways poignantly confirming for us that our journey continues even if it has ended for others. But the music shall last. I can hear it on a timeless wavelength. Never dissipating. Or is that a burst eardrum?

We leave with the throng of Berliners. Back into the night. We have been assimilated.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

rashomon

#344 Post by rashomon »

It is the year 2076 ... mankind is pretty much doomed.

The planet is ravaged, wars rage and a blazing hot planetoid is hurtling towards Earth to finish us off.

Never fear ... the Pet Shop Boys are here!

you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Suburban_Boy

#345 Post by Suburban_Boy »

rashomon wrote: Sun 12 Jun 2022, 6:31 pm
Never fear ... the Pet Shop Boys are here!
:lol: :lol: