Dreamworld: Spoilers

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
psbfannyc

Re: Dreamworld: Spoilers

#136 Post by psbfannyc »

What time did the concert in Milano start?

S-sense

Re: DREAMWORLD Greatest Hits Tour RESCHEDULED until 2022

#137 Post by S-sense »

Can you please talk about actual facts of the tour in the spoilers thread? I am sure there are a lot of members like me that look forward to the see the concert without knowing anything about it.

zukunft

#138 Post by zukunft »

psbfannyc wrote: Wed 11 May 2022, 3:28 pm What time did the concert in Milano start?

Shopper

#139 Post by Shopper »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklLPbHdwFU[/YouTube] love that spoken intro

this user has posted some of songs in full
I was born in a hospital room with green walls, the doctor who delivered me wore a green overall, so did the nurses hovering around. So much greenery around, its no wonder that it is my favourite colour !

My Blog
On Facebook

Patrick Bateman

#140 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Interesting that they've ignored the last couple of decades bar Vocal, Dreamland and Monkey Business. Probably makes sense as they were down the dumper by 1999 and this is a greatest hits tour.

Xakrij

#141 Post by Xakrij »

https://www.rockon.it/reportage-live/i- ... di-milano/

[Google Translated]

PET SHOP BOYS between sacred and profane: the photos and the story of the Milan concert

In a week that saw the Kraftwerk, pioneers of electro pop, return to perform in Milan, yesterday it was the turn of the Pet Shop Boys, put to the test in front of the sold out audience of the Arcimboldi Theater.

Small spoiler: they didn't disappoint me either.

For the past 40 years, the Pet Shop Boys have been making "anthemic" dance music that ironically examines culture, politics, personal relationships and the nature of pop itself.

On stage, they recreated their universe by pushing the boundaries of what a live show can achieve, and in the process, along the way, they stumbled upon one of the best biographies in pop history.

Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe met at a Chelsea electronics store, where a casual conversation about music and synthesizers sparked a friendship and musical collaboration that continues to this day. In 1985 they got their first number one - West End Girls - a disco track about the drama and excitement of late night Soho, where cultures meet, merge and collide.

However, Pet Shop Boys are also known for their boisterous live shows that give life to pulsating vintage electronic beats.

It is a wonderful and unexpectedly warm evening in May - after a weekend of rainy rain - and the Arcimboldi have not yet activated the air conditioning, considering the oxygen starvation, also caused by the obligation to wear a mask, the premises in terms of physical resistance. they're not the best, and the audience isn't really gen-z.

Fortunately, the show is on time as always. Tennant and Lowe materialize wearing elaborate metal headdresses and flamboyant clothing, radiated by bright headlights that almost blind onlookers.

Both have always been attentive to the possibilities of sound as a constantly changing and evolving art form, and so their back catalog is littered with different versions, dancefloor remixes, collaborations, covers that are overshadowed by the eloquent trajectory of their first. album series. On the occasion of the Milan date they were able to bring this work to the stage and in fact the concert was an extremely pleasant journey through their luxuriant discography to listen to some of the lesser known moments.

The set opens with Suburbia, accompanied by video images that move to the rhythm. Tennant on stage acts like a music evangelist, with his arms raised to the sky as he screams the chorus of Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money) but it takes little to change the tone and gas the crowd with In the name of love / Can 't take my eyes off of you, the famous mash-up between U2 and Frankie Valli, the applause is so loud that it almost covers his voice.

Single - Bilingual and Se a vida change the set recreating an atmosphere halfway between a 90s disco and a procession of fujenti on Assumption day. I confess that I feel completely at ease.

Domino Dancing authorizes a part of the audience to get up and occupy the corridors to dance, resisting the fluid movement of shoulders and hands is difficult in these cases, Always on my mind cancels any ambition of order and rigor, making even the most timid move from the armchairs .

The concert came to life completely and presses on with the mighty Go West anthem followed by It's A Sin, which retains all of its original cinematic glory live.

West End Girls was delightfully served during the encore with its throbbing intensity leaving the final farewell to Being Boring.

The duo thanks, mimicking a few words in Italian, and takes their leave, disappearing among the fumes of dry ice and the lights that go out, revealing the faces of those present still smiling and excited.

Two hours have passed and yet no one wants to stop.

Attending such a show is a bit like leaving the house secretly after the curfew, it is life, energy, joy and carefree.

And tonight it was just like that.
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

Lleonard Pler

#142 Post by Lleonard Pler »

I feel like Love etc and Miracles could have been included, as they were proper hits and they would make for a more balanced setlist. But it is what it is, I guess. Great setlist anyway and it's nice having Single, Drunk or I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more back on stage.

Nickname

#143 Post by Nickname »

Lleonard Pler wrote: Wed 11 May 2022, 4:35 pm I feel like Love etc and Miracles could have been included, as they were proper hits and they would make for a more balanced setlist. But it is what it is, I guess. Great setlist anyway and it's nice having Single, Drunk or I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more back on stage.
You know they change some songs during the tour sometimes. So, it could be included.

Tom Angel

#144 Post by Tom Angel »

Thanks for the italian review - love a bit of rainy rain. It's the best sort.

I guess ultimately this tour isn't really for the rabid fan. It feels like a lap of honour. which is worrying. No mention of new songs or album for a while. Even Chris Lowe saying Sooner or later this happens to everyone has a shade of announcing retirement about it.

I'd be very interested in how different the versions are. And it seems that perhaps Chris Lowe has made his peace with So hard..? One would hope so as it's always been a great crunch of a pop song - much like Can you forgive her? Is that played actually? It should be!

I'm actually a fan of NYCboy but do we really need it again?

Still loving the set and full band.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Luke Colorado

#145 Post by Luke Colorado »

Shopper wrote: Wed 11 May 2022, 3:56 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklLPbHdwFU[/YouTube] love that spoken intro

It makes no sense to me that they’re are doing an 80s and 90s only (yes, there are exceptions.shut up) tour seemingly geared toward the casual fan, yet they are so married to the inferior Bobby 0 version of West End girls.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

telys

#146 Post by telys »

Luke Colorado wrote: Wed 11 May 2022, 5:52 pm
Shopper wrote: Wed 11 May 2022, 3:56 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklLPbHdwFU[/YouTube] love that spoken intro

It makes no sense to me that they’re are doing an 80s and 90s only (yes, there are exceptions.shut up) tour seemingly geared toward the casual fan, yet they are so married to the inferior Bobby 0 version of West End girls.
This ain't the Bobby O version. But cool that they're wearing the clothes from the WEG85-video.
----
You've got me all wrong

jules

#147 Post by jules »

Although i'm not keen on the tracklist, some visuals are stunning, like on rent. And the sound seems good and loud.

Xakrij

#148 Post by Xakrij »

https://www.musicalnews.com/2022/05/11/ ... shop-boys/

[Google Translated]

Dreamworld Tour ”. The Pet Shop Boys LIVE time machine

Milan, 11/05/2022, Arcimboldi Theater, the first location chosen for the new world tour of the Pet Shop Boys. The stainless duo formed by Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe who can boast 38 years of pop hits and important collaborations. Passing through Patsy Kensit and Eight Wonder, Liza Minelli, David Bowie, Yoko Ono, Madonna and many others.
The duo owes the success of a song originally born as side B of the single “Suburbia” to Milan, forerunner of the concert setlist. That song is called "Paninaro", inspired by the teenage fashion of the mid-80s. With a video directed by the Pet Shop Boys themselves, around the city and using Milanese boys as extras, strictly in a “Paninaro” look.
In a themed location, complete with photos, their post on Facebook dedicated to the Italian metropolis, the day before the concert: "We think this was a Paninaro bar in the 1980s! Nice to be back in Milan

Too bad there is no trace of the song in almost two hours of great live performance. Dominated by Neil's vocal and scenic refinement. While Chris remains anchored to his keyboards and to the programming of rhythmic sequences. They are the background chorister, percussionist and drummer / guitarist.
The screens are the background of some images from the promotional video clips, games of graphic elements. All coordinated by the pulsating BPM of the live songs.

The repertoire is made up of all the stainless hits that the Pet Shop Boys have brought to the field from 1984 to the present day. The subtitle of the “Dreamworld Tour” already wished it: “The Greatest Hits Live”.

And so it was, a real compilation of catchphrases like "West End Girls", "Go West", "Domino Dancing". But just to name a few.
And if in the first 15 minutes the people in the theater are all seated, composed, every now and then they immortalize a video, only someone starts dancing standing up. It is then inevitable to make everyone jump to their feet to the rhythm of "It's A Sin" and other big guns.
Few lenses: "Jealousy" and a single completely acoustic song that Neil accompanies on the guitar: "You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk".
The rest is pure adrenaline, a dance that remains unaffected by the fashions of the moment. Two eternal “boys” who demonstrate - through the wisdom of the past - that they are able to make a song sound perfectly good, even after more than thirty years.
And it doesn't matter that they didn't play “Paninaro”, dedicating it to the first official city of their tour. Fans reminded them when they left the theater. With Neil leading the choir and throwing yet another "Thank you 1000" of the evening.
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

Nickname

#149 Post by Nickname »

As much as I see parts of the show on Youtube, more times I think it looks like it was the last tour of its career. Of course, it's a Greatest Hits tour with multiple self references from Neil and Chris on interviews, almost the whole show and the set-list could be undestood in that way. The final songs are It's a Sin, West End Girls (with the original video of 1985-1986) and Being Boring.

Patrick Bateman

#150 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Nickname wrote: Thu 12 May 2022, 5:57 pm As much as I see parts of the show on Youtube, more times I think it looks like it was the last tour of its career. Of course, it's a Greatest Hits tour with multiple self references from Neil and Chris on interviews, almost the whole show and the set-list could be undestood in that way. The final songs are It's a Sin, West End Girls (with the original video of 1985-1986) and Being Boring.
Would that necessarily be a bad thing? They can't go on forever; I don't particularly want to see them stumbling around a stage as decrepitude takes hold. Let them bow out with style.