Glastonbury 2022

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Re: Glastonbury 2022

#61 Post by leesmapman »

I see the BBC are repeating old Glastonbury performances. This is the perfect opportunity to broadcast their 2000 Glastonbury concert, but alas.

tottenhammattspurs

#62 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Sunday night other stage headliners and yet still they’re slipping under the radar.
is is and isnt isnt

Drico One

#63 Post by Drico One »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:07 am Sunday night other stage headliners and yet still they’re slipping under the radar.
In what way? Their 90-minute set is being broadcast on BBC 4.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Nickname

#64 Post by Nickname »

Drico One wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm The usual formula: flirtatious, chatty, gives you the impression that you're in with a chance...

Actually, while she's not my cup of tea - I suspect her musical taste is too insular and rockist for my liking - I think she's highly competent, professional and a safe pair of hands.

There's a bit too much of a bang of Steve Lamacq about her, but I can't knock her ability.

I'm sure she'll get all flighty and conspiratorial, while wearing Wellington boots, with a glisteningly elated Neil afterwards (while Chris rocks gently back and forth on the "sofa" in a field hiding a smirk behind his facemask). Neil seems to get on well with her in these slightly awkward and stilted moments, but if she's good enough for him...

Drico.
She was the host of that concert of PSB with The Concert Orchestra of BBC. There is a pic and an interview of PSB with her.

Nickname

#65 Post by Nickname »

Drico One wrote: Fri 17 Jun 2022, 7:21 pm
Nickname wrote: Fri 03 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm
domino wrote: Fri 03 Jun 2022, 6:06 pm

And Number 16 in South Africa, so what?! :lol:

Maybe it wasn’t big in Denmark.
It's one of their greatest hits. If you create a Top 10 of biggest hits of PSB you should include, at least: West End Girls, Always on my Mind, It's a Sin, Go West, Suburbia, Heart, Domino Dancing and What have I done to deserve this?. Then, you can argue about the other ones but not about these ones. These eight songs are in the Top 10.
That's about right. I always think there are six sacrosanct PSB singles that, really, must be played (whether Chris throws a strop or not about one or other of them). West End girls, It's a Sin, What have I done to deserve this?, Always on my mind, Heart, and Go West. Basically, all of their number one and two megahits. In the next tier are Suburbia, Domino dancing, and Left to my own devices. Then we've got the likes of Opportunities, Rent, It's alright, and a pile of others that, frankly, comprise the greatest streak of 20 consecutive singles in pop history.

From West End girls to Go West, there are only a handful of acts that can compare in my lifetime. Abba, obviously. Blondie didn't get as far as 20. The Bee Gees disco period didn't last long enough. Some bands had a fantastic run of singles off, say, one album (like Soft Cell or FGTH), others dragged it out over two or maybe three (Human League). Very few managed anything approaching what Neil and Chris spun out from 1985 to 1993. And they were still intermittently incredible for the following 30 years.

Drico.
I don't know what happens in other countries but in Spain, I think It's a Sin, Always on my mind, Domino Dancing, Suburbia, Go West and some other ones are more famous than West End Girls (it was Top 3 in Spain but I don't know why the popularity of the song is not as big as the others). I undertand the have WG and Being Boring like encores of the concerts but I think it doesn't work too much for the casual public. :lol:

PSB have so many Top 20 in a row because their fans can find a substitute for them. They'd probably have more Top 20 hits if they had done better singles choices and the chart rules hadn't been changed.

tottenhammattspurs

#66 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Drico One wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:28 am
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:07 am Sunday night other stage headliners and yet still they’re slipping under the radar.
In the fact that when people say who’s performing at Glastonbury 2022 they aren’t mentioning Pet Shop Boys. The only “heritage” act they mention is Diana Dross. This is across radio and tv.
is is and isnt isnt

Drico One

#67 Post by Drico One »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022, 11:20 am
Drico One wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:28 am
In the fact that when people say who’s performing at Glastonbury 2022 they aren’t mentioning Pet Shop Boys. The only “heritage” act they mention is Diana Dross. This is across radio and tv.
They've been at Glastonbury twice before and they've never had to make a comeback. Like the poor, they've always been with us.

As a result, they get taken for granted. The ultimate compliment, really.

Anyway, they'll blow Diana and everyone else away on the Sunday night. Diana is a novelty because she's more a museum act than a heritage one. Let's face it, she's 95% dead. Neil and Chris still have a modicum of timeless modernity that makes it hard for people to completely consign them to history in the way Ross is.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

domino

#68 Post by domino »

Nickname wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022, 11:02 am … if they had done better singles choices and the chart rules hadn't been changed.
is is and isn’t isn't :shifty:
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

Nickname

#69 Post by Nickname »

domino wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022, 12:33 pm
Nickname wrote: Sat 18 Jun 2022, 11:02 am … if they had done better singles choices and the chart rules hadn't been changed.
is is and isn’t isn't :shifty:
Could you explain that?.

Spittingcat

#70 Post by Spittingcat »

They’re song lyrics.

psbfannyc

#71 Post by psbfannyc »

rashomon

Glastonbury 2022

#72 Post by rashomon »

Kinda OT but just watching some Glastonbury stuff on the BBC red button

Caught a brief clip of an act I’ve never heard of called Beabadoobee and randomly their guitarist is shown wearing a PSB shirt! … the black one from Performance…the kid was probably not even born at that time ! Image

you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Dog

#73 Post by Dog »

According to their latest post, the Glastonbury show will be “the full production including some extra elements and a special guest”.
Woof.

young.offender

#74 Post by young.offender »

Please not Olly 🙄🙄🙄

rashomon

Glastonbury 2022

#75 Post by rashomon »

Very likely to be Olly… and yeah I’m bored of that song to be fair
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional