Glastonbury 2022

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
rashomon

Re: Glastonbury 2022

#361 Post by rashomon »

joe stalin wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022, 2:02 am
Great shout out for Stuart Price's arrangement. Bloody top notch. Although I'll never forgive him for insisting Wedding in Berlin made the album, instead of Decide ?, the Glastonbury arrangements were nigh on faultless. Bravo 👍👍👍
Can we just have a moment to appreciate the ominous chanting sounds at the start of Being Boring giving way to the beautiful electronic harp ... absolute goosebumps! 😍
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

mile_end_lee

#362 Post by mile_end_lee »

As a few people have pointed out they put a light on Chris and if you look for it you can see him at quite a few points during the first bit - so I imagine to the people physically there it all looked normal and actually the sort of interesting visual presentation you might expect from PSB - it's just a shame the director didn't think on their feet and kept emphasising the empty keyboard position down stage and didn't film any closes ups of the lit up upstage Chris through the video wall until later.

I agree the filming was pretty ropey from the BBC - even without the hiccup at the start I think the poor filming wouldn't make this an ideal candidate for a Bluray etc which is a big shame!

Nickname

#363 Post by Nickname »

According to Rolling Stones magazine, there were fireworks when Pet Shop Boys were playing West End Girls from the show of the Pyramid Stage.

By the way, the show has been removed from Youtube a few minutes ago.

euroboy

#364 Post by euroboy »

East End Bhoy

#365 Post by East End Bhoy »

rashomon wrote: Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:32 am
leesmapman wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022, 11:37 pm
The guy yawning at the beginning has to be edited out too.
oh ... I thought that was a great homage to Actually, actually :)
I had a chuckle at Wonder Woman singing completely different words to all around
1991-Glasgow, 1999-Glasgow, 2002-Edinburgh, 2006-Newcastle, 2007-Manchester, 2009-Manchester, 2009-Glasgow, 2014-Glasgow, 2016-London, 2017-Glasgow, 2022-Glasgow, 2023-Aberdeen

leesmapman

#366 Post by leesmapman »

East End Bhoy wrote:
rashomon wrote: Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:32 am
leesmapman wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022, 11:37 pm
The guy yawning at the beginning has to be edited out too.
oh ... I thought that was a great homage to Actually, actually :)
I had a chuckle at Wonder Woman singing completely different words to all around
Haha, I just saw them during Domino Dancing

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J410F met Tapatalk

tottenhammattspurs

#367 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

So everyone else who played Glastonbury gets chart surges and increased percentage of week on week sales. No sign of PopArt or Discography on the album charts though. This is why we won’t get a “new” GH compilation I reckon.
is is and isnt isnt

Drico One

#368 Post by Drico One »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sun 03 Jul 2022, 9:20 am So everyone else who played Glastonbury gets chart surges and increased percentage of week on week sales. No sign of PopArt or Discography on the album charts though. This is why we won’t get a “new” GH compilation I reckon.
They got a sales surge. Discography is at 62 and PopArt is at 69 in the Top 100 Albums Sales chart. As always with Pet Shop Boys, they are non-existent on the streaming charts, hence no appearance in the overall Top 100 Album chart.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

miserabalism

#369 Post by miserabalism »

stussyboy wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022, 8:59 pm Agree with all of the above. Neil’s voice really is excellent these days, and he seems a confident front-man. Managing, effectively on his own visually, at the start was testament to this.

The thigh slap of yore has now been replaced with the new signature Tennant move of both arms outstretched conducting the crowd. The little stories work quite well too.

Not bad for a band who, famously, “quite like proving we can’t cut it live”
Neil's new favourite move — the outstretched arms — is so perfect. He tends to do it at the beginning of a song or as a crescendo approaches, and — for me — the gesture represents Neil saying, "Look, here's another f***ing brilliant song we've bestowed upon you, so lap it up, mortals!"

And the Pet Shop Boys have absolutely EARNED the right to that gesture.

Straight_Talker

#370 Post by Straight_Talker »

Neil's new favourite move — the outstretched arms — is so perfect. He tends to do it at the beginning of a song or as a crescendo approaches, and — for me — the gesture represents Neil saying, "Look, here's another f***ing brilliant song we've bestowed upon you, so lap it up, mortals!"

And the Pet Shop Boys have absolutely EARNED the right to that gesture.
[/quote]

👏👍
More strobes and BANGING, please!

OakeyDokey

#371 Post by OakeyDokey »

What were the other "stories behind the songs" that he used as bantz on this tour?

As I just went to Cork and saw the Glasto coverage too where he just repeated what the inspiration was to Domino Dancing.

Dog

#372 Post by Dog »

OakeyDokey wrote:What were the other "stories behind the songs" that he used as bantz on this tour?

As I just went to Cork and saw the Glasto coverage too where he just repeated what the inspiration was to Domino Dancing.
There’s also a “Texan cowboy” intro to Monkey business.
Woof.

jamie1978

#373 Post by jamie1978 »

As others have noted, Neil has certainly come a long way since his slightly awkward thigh-slapping days.

He is now quite the frontman - confident, bold, engaging, and with no small degree of swagger, this feels like an 'imperial age' for their live performances.

His new signature move - arms aloft, conducting the audience, is brilliant and appropriate. He knows his place - and the crowd know theirs.

rashomon

Glastonbury 2022

#374 Post by rashomon »

Also … don’t forget Neil’s new war cry of ‘Aaah YE-EAH!’ to get the crowd extra hyped!

They’re having so much fun on the gigging circuit we might not see a new album for a decade
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

miserabalism

#375 Post by miserabalism »

rashomon wrote: Mon 04 Jul 2022, 2:47 pm Also … don’t forget Neil’s new war cry of ‘Aaah YE-EAH!’ to get the crowd extra hyped! Image

They’re having so much fun on the gigging circuit we might not see a new album for a decade
He manages to do exactly the same ‘Aaah YE-EAH!’ every time. I'm tempted to make it my morning alarm.