Glastonbury 2022

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Waffleon

Re: Glastonbury 2022

#331 Post by Waffleon »

I was there. They were great. Everybody had fun. I was really proud.

Nickname

#332 Post by Nickname »

The version of Always on my mind was considered the Nº 1 cover of all time according to the audience of BBC.

Dog

#333 Post by Dog »

Waffleon wrote:I was there. They were great. Everybody had fun. I was really proud.
Nice review Image Glad it was good in person.
Woof.

Harry

#334 Post by Harry »

After a fabulous intimate evening at the Electric Ballroom, I was willing them on to succeed at Glastonbury, and I think they excelled themselves. Five-star reviews, and more unanimous love on Twitter than I've ever seen for them.

I'll admit to finding the first few songs stressful to watch, with the technical hitch not raising the screen. Without knowing what was going on, it was hard to appreciate just how well Neil was doing holding it all together, and how little it mattered. Having watched it back, you can clearly see them both lined up waiting to walk on, then a moment's discussion, and Chris hurrying to the back while Neil rushes round the front. Chris had less time so wouldn't have made his first notes, and would have struggled to get over all the obstacles wearing his more opaque mask.

They'd have only realised there was a problem with seconds to go, and the fact that they both hit their cues is a testament to their professionalism. You can actually see Chris a lot during the first section, they put a light on him, and while the unmanned keyboard is jarring for those who know the show, people there would mostly have been able to see Chris in the background and thought nothing of it.

Watching it back, I appreciate what an absolutely stonking performance this was. They're both in a good mood, the band smash it, and Neil's voice is richer and less nasal live than it has ever been. He has turned into a proper showman. The dances were a great addition, Olly Alexander sounded better than ever, and Stuart Price's arrangements this time are STUNNING. Everything is recognisable, un-messed with but harder and gently modernised.

Aside from an initial panic, I hope neither Neil, Chris nor the crew stressed out too much about the hitch, they really delivered a brilliant performance. They are perfectionists, but they were both smiling. As was I. I hope they're happy with it.

They do need to make a concert film now though!
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

rashomon

#335 Post by rashomon »

I guess because of the glitch, they won't be releasing the Glastonbury master as the video that goes with this tour ... plus it's a reduced festival set.

Not many more chances left to film it though! ...

The next 5 dates in Europe are I believe festivals so will have the cutdown show.
Then we have 13 dates in North America - with New Order so unlikely that these will be filmed for Dreamworld
Which leaves the 4 dates in 2023 ... Wembley perhaps?
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

stussyboy

#336 Post by stussyboy »

Agree with all of the above. Neil’s voice really is excellent these days, and he seems a confident front-man. Managing, effectively on his own visually, at the start was testament to this.

The thigh slap of yore has now been replaced with the new signature Tennant move of both arms outstretched conducting the crowd. The little stories work quite well too.

Not bad for a band who, famously, “quite like proving we can’t cut it live”
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

Sithblade

#337 Post by Sithblade »

stussyboy wrote:Agree with all of the above. Neil’s voice really is excellent these days, and he seems a confident front-man. Managing, effectively on his own visually, at the start was testament to this.

The thigh slap of yore has now been replaced with the new signature Tennant move of both arms outstretched conducting the crowd. The little stories work quite well too.

Not bad for a band who, famously, “quite like proving we can’t cut it live”
He should have said this to the crowd.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

joe stalin

#338 Post by joe stalin »

Harry wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022, 8:28 pm After a fabulous intimate evening at the Electric Ballroom, I was willing them on to succeed at Glastonbury, and I think they excelled themselves. Five-star reviews, and more unanimous love on Twitter than I've ever seen for them.

I'll admit to finding the first few songs stressful to watch, with the technical hitch not raising the screen. Without knowing what was going on, it was hard to appreciate just how well Neil was doing holding it all together, and how little it mattered. Having watched it back, you can clearly see them both lined up waiting to walk on, then a moment's discussion, and Chris hurrying to the back while Neil rushes round the front. Chris had less time so wouldn't have made his first notes, and would have struggled to get over all the obstacles wearing his more opaque mask.

They'd have only realised there was a problem with seconds to go, and the fact that they both hit their cues is a testament to their professionalism. You can actually see Chris a lot during the first section, they put a light on him, and while the unmanned keyboard is jarring for those who know the show, people there would mostly have been able to see Chris in the background and thought nothing of it.

Watching it back, I appreciate what an absolutely stonking performance this was. They're both in a good mood, the band smash it, and Neil's voice is richer and less nasal live than it has ever been. He has turned into a proper showman. The dances were a great addition, Olly Alexander sounded better than ever, and Stuart Price's arrangements this time are STUNNING. Everything is recognisable, un-messed with but harder and gently modernised.

Aside from an initial panic, I hope neither Neil, Chris nor the crew stressed out too much about the hitch, they really delivered a brilliant performance. They are perfectionists, but they were both smiling. As was I. I hope they're happy with it.

They do need to make a concert film now though!
Great shout out for Stuart Price's arrangement. Bloody top notch. Although I'll never forgive him for insisting Wedding in Berlin made the album, instead of Decide ?, the Glastonbury arrangements were nigh on faultless. Bravo 👍👍👍

joe stalin

#339 Post by joe stalin »

Oh and in terms of highlights for me.

1) left to my own devices
2) vocal
3) rent

Can't stop looking through them on iPlayer. Thank god for ExpressVPN

Marie loves PSB

#340 Post by Marie loves PSB »

stussyboy wrote: Wed 29 Jun 2022, 8:59 pm Agree with all of the above. Neil’s voice really is excellent these days, and he seems a confident front-man. Managing, effectively on his own visually, at the start was testament to this.
As a few of you have mentioned on here about Neil's voice. - Do you think basically two years of Lockdowns have made Neil's voice better? (Having a good rest through not touring etc..?). As I metioned before that we really enjoyed thier Glastonbury concert and to be honest I didn't even notice the technical fault. I was just worried if Chris ok or not and it being odd seeing an empty keyboard. Neil handled it very well. :D

DopeFiend

#341 Post by DopeFiend »

Someone made a comic about the technical mishap.

leesmapman

#342 Post by leesmapman »

Marie loves PSB wrote: Thu 30 Jun 2022, 9:36 am As a few of you have mentioned on here about Neil's voice. - Do you think basically two years of Lockdowns have made Neil's voice better? (Having a good rest through not touring etc..?). As I metioned before that we really enjoyed thier Glastonbury concert and to be honest I didn't even notice the technical fault. I was just worried if Chris ok or not and it being odd seeing an empty keyboard. Neil handled it very well. :D
Actually, I find his talking voice quite hoarse. I've listened to the PSB Radio 2 takeover and the recent interviews and it occured to me that his talking sounds kinda frail. Nothing wrong with his singing voice though, except you can hear it in "Cricket Wife" too, but frailty is perfect for that song.

minimal

#343 Post by minimal »

Won't happen but thinking about it I'd love to see a shared BR release of the unity tour. What a treat that'd be for all PSB/NO fans.

m+

alig

#344 Post by alig »

"John 3:16."