Glastonbury 2022

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TallThinMan

Re: Glastonbury 2022

#316 Post by TallThinMan »

jamie1978 wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022, 1:38 pm
King1 wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022, 1:13 pm The thing I don't get why didn't Chris walk around the screen like Neil did,did his portable keyboard fail ?,or more likely his happier behind the screen
He probably panicked that he wouldn't make it in time to start playing Suburbia - the rear keyboard was much closer.
Either that or he couldn't be arsed!

miserabalism

#317 Post by miserabalism »

Wow, it's amazing how startling I found it, watching a Pet Shop Boys performance minus one Pet Shop Boy. Nevertheless, that was an incredible performance. They literally threw out a barrage of relentless hits, and I'm so pleased that personal favourites of mine that don't always get an airing (Can you forgive her?, So hard) remained in the setlist. Vocal absolutely needs to be played at every PSB concert from now on. What a banger. And this was my favourite version of Go West that I've ever heard.

What have I done to deserve this was the most glaring omission, but I guess it's the sort of song that is crying out for a special guest, and if they didn't have one lined up...

Sandy Shaw

#318 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Glastonbury ''Chrisgate'' goes to show that you can't always rely on a friend... (Just kidding).
Dodgy connection when I tried to watch it on my tablet so have downloaded to get the whole thing in better quality with iPlayer.
Fantastic to see this after the exciting show at the Electric Ballroom.
What's for supper?

joepsb

#319 Post by joepsb »

Saw this on EFestivals

From a friend … these were the issues at the start … he didn’t even know as an avid psb fan

The front screen didn’t go up and Neil had to walk around it wearing his headpiece. Chris’ headpiece has horizontal bars over his eyes, unlike Neil’s, so it was safer to use the keyboard behind the LED screen than walk around to the front one.

That's why Chris didn't come out to the front at the start of the gig

Tom Angel

#320 Post by Tom Angel »

It's a testament to the spoken middle eight and the capturing of everything elusive via single-finger synth hooks and backseat of the car yearning for what has already passed.

I wonder if Chris has made his peace with So hard - he's never liked it. I'm glad he has. It's as strong as ever.

Minor gripes are the curtailed versions of songs - particularly Love comes quickly - I miss those amazing bells from the ROH super version, and they really should have got Kylie on for What have I done to deserve this?.

Love the additional keyboards in Where the streets have no name. Inspired.

The addition of band members has revolutionised the tour though. I'd have loved to see Neil play some keyboards, and I was a BIG fan of Monkey business on the tour - it found a genuine groove.
Last edited by Tom Angel on Tue 28 Jun 2022, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Tom Angel

#321 Post by Tom Angel »

repost

minimal

#322 Post by minimal »

Again, this is NOT correct. Chris has never said that he didn't like So hard; however, he said that he didn't like it in the context of (the sound of) Behaviour.

m+

Dog

#323 Post by Dog »

Old Soak wrote:
King1 wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022, 1:13 pm The thing I don't get why didn't Chris walk around the screen like Neil did,did his portable keyboard fail ?,or more likely his happier behind the screen
I thought the front keyboard failed too? Or was hauling it off and not bringing it back until start of encores part of the show as usual?
No it didn’t. It was always taken off at that point and then returned.
Woof.

Dog

#324 Post by Dog »

joepsb wrote:Saw this on EFestivals

From a friend … these were the issues at the start … he didn’t even know as an avid psb fan

The front screen didn’t go up and Neil had to walk around it wearing his headpiece. Chris’ headpiece has horizontal bars over his eyes, unlike Neil’s, so it was safer to use the keyboard behind the LED screen than walk around to the front one.

That's why Chris didn't come out to the front at the start of the gig
Surely if visibility was the issue he’d have just taken it off. His potential route to the front at his side may not have been as accessible, headpiece or no headpiece. They both had to make split second decisions. Neil made a Neil decision, and Chris definitely made a Chris one.
Woof.

Tom Angel

#325 Post by Tom Angel »

minimal wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm Again, this is NOT correct. Chris has never said that he didn't like So hard; however, he said that he didn't like it in the context of (the sound of) Behaviour.

m+
That's not my understanding. And it did disappear from sets since performance. Anyway, good to have it back

Dog

#326 Post by Dog »

Quite interesting to think that a quarter of their setlist was cover versions.
Woof.

Drico One

#327 Post by Drico One »

Dog wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:35 pm Quite interesting to think that a quarter of their setlist was cover versions.
And every single one of those turned into something utterly proprietorial.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Dog

#328 Post by Dog »

Drico One wrote:
Dog wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:35 pm Quite interesting to think that a quarter of their setlist was cover versions.

Drico.
Certainly.
Woof.

PopKid78

#329 Post by PopKid78 »

I can’t stop watching the performance of Vocal. For a song that wasn’t a hit, and a crowd that isn’t just PSB fans, the reaction is amazing. It really is a special song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick Bateman

#330 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Dog wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:59 pm
Drico One wrote:

Drico.
Certainly.
Always On My Mind - I like the fact that the Elvis, Willie Nelson and PSB versions are different but all bring something distinct to the song (which is what cover versions should do)

Losing My Mind - The perfect representation of a PSB showtune (this aspect of PSB is their Achilles heel as camp quickly turns to kitsch)

It's Alright - PSB's version is a gateway to the brilliance of the original, which is ultimately a relatively obscure house track; works so well with Vocal

Streets - A cynical cover to recover from Being Boring's chart position that was an early 'mash-up' and sounds particularly brilliant on the current tour

Go West - In some ways their finest achievement is turning a song about gay freedom into a terrace anthem (as Neil pointed out on Sunday night)