Phil Harding on his PSB remixes

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Kandu

Re: Phil Harding on his PSB remixes

#16 Post by Kandu »

Thank you very much. Very interesting.

popfreak

#17 Post by popfreak »

I love Phil's Miami mixes, so much so I did a remix in the same style.

https://sfsuperstars.bandcamp.com/album ... he-remixes

Hope you like it?

matt74uk

#18 Post by matt74uk »

Well even now I'm still learning things! I only bought the CD singles when they came out, so I'm only familiar with the extended dance version of Always On My Mind and didn't even know there was another remix other than the Introspective version.

raggatwin

#19 Post by raggatwin »

matt74uk wrote: Sat 08 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm Well even now I'm still learning things! I only bought the CD singles when they came out, so I'm only familiar with the extended dance version of Always On My Mind and didn't even know there was another remix other than the Introspective version.
There are two more mixes on top of that Shep Pettibone holiday mix and I think the other one is called sheps house mix.
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Disco.

#20 Post by Disco. »

Yep, available on the U.S D.J version of Introspective, which ofcourse also includes Sheps versions of Left to my own devices.

raggatwin

#21 Post by raggatwin »

Disco. wrote: Sat 08 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm Yep, available on the U.S D.J version of Introspective, which ofcourse also includes Sheps versions of Left to my own devices.
Those mixes of Devices are stunning imo
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Bucky Goldstein

#22 Post by Bucky Goldstein »

Harding’s Always on my mind remixes (he’s credited on the “Dub” mix too) really feel like a demo for the Introspective version - the stripped back dub, the twinkly new melody and the “House” breakdown. I’m glad they improved on it, the new riff is overused to the point of irritation and, as a whole, the mix doesn’t really go anywhere. It’s fun in a cheesy, suburban disco type way, but it pales in comparison to the epic dynamism of the album mix. It answers the question, what would PSB sound like if they were produced by S/A/W?
"...Purchase or hire thirty-eight ripe Spongs. Wheel them home, and shoot them. Then simply bake them, and eat them once. The end."

daveid

#23 Post by daveid »

Dog wrote: Fri 07 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm
Danimal wrote:So, this is the story of the Introspective version of "Always on My Mind." Interesting that this remix happened so early in the the process of putting Introspective together.
No, it’s actually the story of the remix which appeared on the 12” remix of the Always On My Mind single. The Introspective version re-used the In My House idea.
They're working on it in late November when the single only came out on around the 30th November... so either this is wrong or it was all recorded and pressed in a few days. I doubt that unless it was Band Aid.

Btw wasn't the Miami Mix of It's a sin one of the tracks put up on the OS in the late noughties?

PopArt

#24 Post by PopArt »

Thanks for this. Really interesting. Never heard the Phil Harding mix before and I am really surprised at how it's the basis of the Introspective version. I always assumed (wrongly) that was an entirely new mix/recording. Good mix though I tend to agree that the Introspective version remains the definitive one.
I'm always waiting...

Dog

#25 Post by Dog »

daveid wrote:
Danimal wrote:So, this is the story of the Introspective version of "Always on My Mind." Interesting that this remix happened so early in the the process of putting Introspective together.
No, it’s actually the story of the remix which appeared on the 12” remix of the Always On My Mind single. The Introspective version re-used the In My House idea.
They're working on it in late November when the single only came out on around the 30th November... so either this is wrong or it was all recorded and pressed in a few days. I doubt that unless it was Band Aid.

Btw wasn't the Miami Mix of It's a sin one of the tracks put up on the OS in the late noughties?
The 12” remix came out the week later on 7 December. I agree it is a quick turnaround but probably typical of the time.
Woof.

Disco.

#26 Post by Disco. »

daveid wrote: Sun 09 Jan 2022, 11:32 am

The remix was released a week before Christmas. The extra sales from the remix kept Rick Astley from reaching #1.
Neil has pointed out the irony of SAW employees securing their Christmas #1.

G_Goalden

#27 Post by G_Goalden »

At the risk of losing my PSB long service membership I have to say I’ve never heard the It's a sin mix and whilst owning the vinyl remix of Always on my mind, I mustn’t have played it in ages as I didn’t realise it had the ‘…house’ section in it.

It makes me wonder how many mixes I’m not aware of. Thanks for sharing!

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

matt74uk

#28 Post by matt74uk »

It's a shame these weren't on the Further Listening CDs instead of the b-sides we'd already had made available on Alternative

ype

#29 Post by ype »

Sometimes people complain about remixes from the 90's onwards, starting from the Very era. But not every remix before that was so brilliant. I don't love the Phil Harding remixes, I dislike the Ian Levine remixes and Julian Mendelsohn's remix of Heart is pretty unlistenable.
Having said that, it would be good to have them on CD and streaming :p
Also, an extensive PSB remix compilation - a box set - is loooooong overdue.

Drico One

#30 Post by Drico One »

Bucky Goldstein wrote: Sun 09 Jan 2022, 10:06 am Harding’s Always on my mind remixes (he’s credited on the “Dub” mix too) really feel like a demo for the Introspective version - the stripped back dub, the twinkly new melody and the “House” breakdown. I’m glad they improved on it, the new riff is overused to the point of irritation and, as a whole, the mix doesn’t really go anywhere. It’s fun in a cheesy, suburban disco type way, but it pales in comparison to the epic dynamism of the album mix. It answers the question, what would PSB sound like if they were produced by S/A/W?
Indeed. I find the Harding remix grating and a little tacky, to be honest - rather like a huge proportion of Stock Aitken and Waterman's oeuvre after the incredible You Spin Me Round by Dead or Alive in 1985. There is a thin tackiness to much of SAW's work after that hit - as if they were condensing their brilliance into a definitive template for throwaway disposable production line output.

I'm glad PSB missed working with them. Would anybody really swap Stephen Hague's production on Please for PWL? Tom Watkins was good for many things, but it was serendipitous that his relationship with Waterman had effectively broken down by the time that opportunity came around.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...