Closer To Heaven OCR - Red Vinyl Reissue

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Old Soak

Re: Closer To Heaven OCR - Red Vinyl Reissue

#31 Post by Old Soak »

I don't get it. It's the same...except on red vinyl. Coloured vinyl never sounds as good as black vinyl. Are you getting new tracks? A new mix? No. Pointless reissue.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

leesmapman

#32 Post by leesmapman »

It's 3 sides, according to Discogs. Disc 2 has an empty b-side.

Dog

#33 Post by Dog »

Old Soak wrote:I don't get it. It's the same...except on red vinyl. Coloured vinyl never sounds as good as black vinyl. Are you getting new tracks? A new mix? No. Pointless reissue.
I don’t think it’s ever been available on vinyl.
Woof.

oakey

#34 Post by oakey »

Old Soak wrote: Tue 21 Dec 2021, 6:20 pm I don't get it. It's the same...except on red vinyl. Coloured vinyl never sounds as good as black vinyl. Are you getting new tracks? A new mix? No. Pointless reissue.
I love vinyl but I also see it’s a total hype. The sound quality is inferior to any digital format, especially for tracks that were recorded digitally. Add to that the surface noise, cracks and pops and its clumsy format and it’s hard to explain why everybody likes it so much. For those under 40 it appears that they do buy vinyl but never play it.

The “first time on vinyl” marketing slogan is like advertising a movie rerelease as “for the first time on VHS”.

Nostalgia only.

Harry

#35 Post by Harry »

I'm not taking this as major official release until it's announced by PSB. It's either a locally-produced bootleg or a local market vinyl pressing, neither of which would interest me.

Compare this with PSB's quality control on the most recent vinyl reissues, where they went as far as having Farrow "remaster" their own (and Visonaire's) artwork.
Heaven is possible,
AFTER ALL.

oakey

#36 Post by oakey »

Parkol wrote: Sat 18 Dec 2021, 1:03 pmThey told me that Universal music let them produce it.
Only the C2H original cast recording is owned by Sony, not Universal

TallThinMan

#37 Post by TallThinMan »

oakey wrote: Wed 22 Dec 2021, 10:05 am
Old Soak wrote: Tue 21 Dec 2021, 6:20 pm I don't get it. It's the same...except on red vinyl. Coloured vinyl never sounds as good as black vinyl. Are you getting new tracks? A new mix? No. Pointless reissue.
I love vinyl but I also see it’s a total hype. The sound quality is inferior to any digital format, especially for tracks that were recorded digitally. Add to that the surface noise, cracks and pops and its clumsy format and it’s hard to explain why everybody likes it so much. For those under 40 it appears that they do buy vinyl but never play it.

The “first time on vinyl” marketing slogan is like advertising a movie rerelease as “for the first time on VHS”.

Nostalgia only.

I think the appeal is that in a world of digital intangibles, some people like a physical object. Also, the artwork is larger and better.
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

Old Soak

#38 Post by Old Soak »

Dog wrote: Tue 21 Dec 2021, 11:36 pm
Old Soak wrote:I don't get it. It's the same...except on red vinyl. Coloured vinyl never sounds as good as black vinyl. Are you getting new tracks? A new mix? No. Pointless reissue.
I don’t think it’s ever been available on vinyl.
Discogs states otherwise, maybe not worldwide I'd agree.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

raggatwin

#39 Post by raggatwin »

The mockney accents....wow 😆

Second rate PSB album imo..full of clichés..just listening to it now...
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

tottenhammattspurs

#40 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Mile End Lee is now better known as Jonathon Pie.
is is and isnt isnt

Patrick Bateman

#41 Post by Patrick Bateman »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Thu 23 Dec 2021, 10:08 pm Mile End Lee is now better known as Jonathon Pie.
And Shell was Tim's girlfriend in The Office.

Drico One

#42 Post by Drico One »

raggatwin wrote: Thu 23 Dec 2021, 11:20 am The mockney accents....wow 😆

Second rate PSB album imo..full of clichés..just listening to it now...
Yes, I think it is the definitive nadir of their career. That was mainly Jonathan Harvey's fault, though. The songs themselves have their moments - it's the stereotypical hackneyed hokum that becomes unlistenable. I mean, "straight off the boat from Ireland" applies as much to the New York circa 1841 as it ever did to London 2001. I'm surprised he didn't alight from the harbour in a big green hat eating a potato. The great irony of all of this is that people have long complained that gay people are habitually stereotyped, and here was Harvey pulling out ever hoary old cliche imaginable to pigeon-hole pretty much everybody in sight. Perhaps that was deliberate, I don't know, it just makes the whole thing deeply trite. In summary, the "book" sets a tone that even the beats can't atone for.

As for the songs, I think Call Me Old-Fashioned is rather underrated. As a study of Tom Watkins, it's fairly on the nose. I think it's cleverly constructed. For All Of Us is gorgeous. There are a few more respectable numbers, too, but it's all a little thin when you consider that this is the Pet Shop Boys. We expect far more from the dynamic duo that what we got here. Well, at least I do. In the three-year period that surrounds this, we had Nightlife and Release. The musical diluted their focus. It became their main project. Both of the albums have great moments, but they were spread too thinly over the three years. I sometimes wonder what the musical might have looked like - and sounded like - had the book been written by, say, Derek Jarman. Somebody like that provdes an edge and gives Neil and Chris scope to write icily subversive vignettes of counter-cultural brilliance. Harvey, meanwhile, strikes me as the perfect foil for H from Steps.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Patrick Bateman

#43 Post by Patrick Bateman »

I wish they'd done Brighton Rock instead.

oakey

#44 Post by oakey »

I love C2H, have seen the original run and the most recent London revival, with Chris in the [small] audience. Very funny and - this being a musical - cliches are a must. Most songs are great, some are dire though (Vampires).

Listen to the cast recording regularly. Reminds me of 2001 when I visted a friend in London (who was at the time indeed playing 'the London game') and went to see this show. I prefer C2H to Musik though, those songs did nothing for me.

Would probably buy the red vinyl if it were available for €24 in my local record store or on amazon. Now too much of a risk.

ype

#45 Post by ype »

Story and accents aside, I think there's a lot to like on this soundtrack. Something special is the highlight for me. I wish they'd release it as a b-side some time, properly mixed with Neil on vocals.
I also like For all of us, Call me old-fashioned, Nine out of ten and especially Our of my system.
I even like the Caligula-song.