PSB on BBC1 on New Year's Eve

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
y3potential

Re: PSB on BBC1 on New Year's Eve

#31 Post by y3potential »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021, 6:33 pm To be fair, it did “fly off the shelves”. It sold 250,000 copies really quickly.

It took another 25 years to sell the second 250,000….
Hmmm. I agree upto a point, but Discography on content alone should be revered and up there with the likes of Queen Greatest Hits, ABBA Gold and The Beatles 62-66 67-70, for example.. The fact it isn't has always irritated me..
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Drico One

#32 Post by Drico One »

y3potential wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021, 6:38 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote: Sat 27 Nov 2021, 6:33 pm To be fair, it did “fly off the shelves”. It sold 250,000 copies really quickly.

Hmmm. I agree upto a point, but Discography on content alone should be revered and up there with the likes of Queen Greatest Hits, ABBA Gold and The Beatles 62-66 67-70, for example.. The fact it isn't has always irritated me..
Yup, it massively underperformed. Compare its performance with that of Eurythmics' Greatest Hits, the Beautiful South's best of, Paul Young's singles collection, and Erasure's Pop and it's clear that Discography bombed in relation to acts who had fewer hit singles.

This suggests that they were, basically, out of popular favour - which they really were for at least 12 months and probably longer. So the timing of the release was wrong. Ironically, it should probably have come out in 1994 instead of Disco 2 on the back of the first three Very singles.

Its price point didn't help, either. It was priced as a premium product - as were Tina Turner's best of and Queen's second volume of hits - and it really couldn't sustain that burden. They never had the breadth of support - or longevity - that those two acts could draw on.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Marie loves PSB

#33 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Thank you for posting this. I am really pleased about it. - About time they were on the New Years Eve programme. It is a shame it wasn't 100% PSB's though. - A mini concert would have been great :D

rashomon

#34 Post by rashomon »

It's gonna be one song only? ... so err ... Dreamland right?

... or are we hoping for something new?
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Nickname

#35 Post by Nickname »

rashomon wrote: Sun 28 Nov 2021, 12:48 pm It's gonna be one song only? ... so err ... Dreamland right?

... or are we hoping for something new?
I think It's a Sin is the obvious song to choose and the second is Dreamland. I don't think we can expect much more.
Last edited by Nickname on Thu 02 Dec 2021, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Disco.

#36 Post by Disco. »

It sold 300,000 pretty quickly, it took another 28 years to sell another 300,000 😌

Disco.

#37 Post by Disco. »

Over the years, it has still been a good seller, close to 5 million copies worldwide, not to shabby.

eastendboy

#38 Post by eastendboy »

Not sure how long the show will be and guess they will perform Dreamland together. Not sure about It’s A Sin as it’s been done with Elton. It is their song so they can do what they want with it. No matter what it will great to see them again.

OakeyDokey

#39 Post by OakeyDokey »

It's A Sin is synonymous with the TV series now which was a big hit in 2021 so I would say its guaranteed they will do the live collaboration that was missing from the Brits.

TallThinMan

#40 Post by TallThinMan »

OakeyDokey wrote: Mon 29 Nov 2021, 9:56 pm It's A Sin is synonymous with the TV series now which was a big hit in 2021 so I would say its guaranteed they will do the live collaboration that was missing from the Brits.
What about Elton though? Are they all friends again?
TIERGARTEN's debut album BREAKING POINT is out now: https://linktr.ee/tiergartenmusic

psbfannyc

#41 Post by psbfannyc »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 30 Nov 2021, 5:26 pm
OakeyDokey wrote: Mon 29 Nov 2021, 9:56 pm It's A Sin is synonymous with the TV series now which was a big hit in 2021 so I would say its guaranteed they will do the live collaboration that was missing from the Brits.
What about Elton though? Are they all friends again?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMoKOp8K4vg

Suburban_Boy

#42 Post by Suburban_Boy »

TallThinMan wrote: Tue 30 Nov 2021, 5:26 pm What about Elton though? Are they all friends again?
Elton John just posted some videos on Apple Music about his lockdown sessions, with short interviews with each of the collaborators. As it's only brief, I've transcribed the section with Olly Alexander.

Elton - "I watched the TV series that Russell T. Davis wrote and Olly Alexander starred in. It's A Sin when Olly did a version of it just acoustically, and put it out, I thought it was just so beautiful, it's a beautiful song.
Clip of Olly singing acoustic version
Olly - "So I got a phone call from him, which goes 'Olly, what do you think, It's A Sin at the BRITS?' Umm, I was just like, yeah of course, like, absolutely I would love to do that"
Clip of the BRIT Awards
Elton - "The lyrics of that song say everything about being gay. I've never written those kinds of songs being a gay man, I'm more blokey. Neil Tennant does that."
Olly - "It's so kind of heart breaking and intense, but, and it's what the Pet Shop Boys did so well, is they set it to, just like, a dance floor beat and, you have no choice but to move your body. That kind of spirit was really important to us."
Elton - "I'm just so proud to do this song, it's an incredible song.
Clip of It's A Sin (Global Reach Mix) - Elton John & Years&Years
Olly -"You know when you collaborate with something that's so iconic and already has a history attached to it or an artist that's so legendary like the Pet Shop Boys, like Elton, you get to just take all the meaning that's already there and add to it, and that's such a special moment, so, yeah, happy I got to be a part of that".

Who knows if we'll ever find out what happened at the BRITS, if anything. I still can't really see how having all three would have actually worked anyway.

Drico One

#43 Post by Drico One »

Pet Shop Boys will also appear on the 1988 Christmas Top of the Pops show on BBC4 next Friday night/Saturday morning and Performance will be shown in a 60-minute slot at 9.30 on BBC4 on Sunday, December 20.

Drico.

Euroboy70

#44 Post by Euroboy70 »

Drico One wrote: Sat 04 Dec 2021, 10:47 pm Pet Shop Boys will also appear on the 1988 Christmas Top of the Pops show on BBC4 next Friday night/Saturday morning and Performance will be shown in a 60-minute slot at 9.30 on BBC4 on Sunday, December 20.

Drico.
BBC 2 broadcast this 60 minute edited version of Performance for the first (and until now, the only time) time on December 29th 1991. BBC Radio 1 also broadcast a 60-minute version earlier that year in 1991.

Drico One

#45 Post by Drico One »

Yup, I recorded it on VHS at the time. That and The South Bank Show special the following February were my most prized PSB VHS possessions at the time...

Drico

PS The Melody Maker booklet from '91 was also gold at the time. Halcyon days.