PSB on BBC1 on New Year's Eve

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
NotInvisible

Re: PSB on BBC1 on New Year's Eve

#16 Post by NotInvisible »

Luke Colorado wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021, 5:35 am I think the PSB of 1991 would think the PSB of 2021 are embarrassingly lame. They’ve really become corny in the 21s century, haven’t they?
Imagine thinking the opinions of 1991 you have any bearing or importance on 2021 you without the benefit of 30 years of personal growth and experience. It would be embarrassingly lame to be crystallized in amber instead. Growing up means learning how to have fun.

rashomon

#17 Post by rashomon »

Great news!!!

Love when they do radio sets … always a good listen

Boxing Day sorted!
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

RMC

#18 Post by RMC »

rashomon wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021, 5:51 am Great news!!!

Love when they do radio sets … always a good listen

Boxing Day sorted!
Agree.. still remember listening live when they did the Simon Bates show takeover, and I think Dance anthems maybe around 10 years ago or was it around Electric.

leesmapman

#19 Post by leesmapman »

Oh, that's going to be fun! I've been listening to the radio 1 takeovers this summer, which were a nice trip to another time.

before

#20 Post by before »

Luke Colorado wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021, 5:35 am I think the PSB of 1991 would think the PSB of 2021 are embarrassingly lame. They’ve really become corny in the 21s century, haven’t they?
What's corny about appearing on BBC1 on NYE in 2021?

They appeared on kids tv on the same channel in 1991.

Nickname

#21 Post by Nickname »

What do you think we could expect from this show?. A duet between Years on Years and PSB only or something else?.

Drico One

#22 Post by Drico One »

Nickname wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021, 5:10 pm What do you think we could expect from this show?. A duet between Years on Years and PSB only or something else?.
I can't tell you what the chosen song or songs will be, but I can guarantee lots of thigh slapping.

But enough snidery. I, for one, think it's tremendous that they are invited to mass-market mainstream nonsense like this in 2021/2. If the PSB of 1991 would have sneered at the thought of doing this, that's only because the PSB of 1991 probably never thought they'd still be a going concern 30 years later. It would have been the equivalent of The Everly Brothers fronting the 1991 New Year's Eve special. Anyway, what were the über cool PSB of 1991 doing that Christmas? Why, turning up on Going Live - Saturday morning kids' tv - to promote their flagging single Was It Worth It? and the underperfoming Discography - and all of this in the wake of the commercial disappointment of Behaviour and Being Boring. They weren't so cool in '91 to give Trevor and Simon a wide berth.

At this stage in their fantastically successful career as a duo, they should be loosening pointless restrictions and bringing down self-imposed barriers and embracing their legacy as pillars of the pop establishment. They are inherently part of the English-language pop canon. I'd sooner they appear on this crap and stuff like the Now That's What I Call Music Yearbooks than in dark alleys pretending to be seedy in their sixties. The latter might have been more engaging 35 years ago, but we all move on...

In 1991, many fans thought the game was up. So here we are in 2021 with the PSBs due to appear on a BBC Radio 2 takeover, at a New Year's Eve gig on BBC tv, and on repeats of the 1988 Top of the Pops Christmas Special. A greatest hits world tour awaits...and inevitably new music will follow. I miss the PSB of, say, 1991 in much the same way I miss being a teenager. It was fun while it lasted, but never as good at the time as one might imagine it was in sepia-toned retrospect. But they and we are, somehow, still here 30 years on. If I'd known that when Neil asked the following Going Live quiz question that Saturday in December 1991: "How many top 30 singles are on Discography, the Complete Singles Collection?" - I'd have been ecstatic. The reference to the top 30 instead of the top 20 was evidence that Was It Worth It? was going to be the first PSB single to miss the upper reaches of the chart the following day when its chart position would be announced.

As Neil rightly sang: "If I'd had my way, this would have happened much sooner." In many ways, the original incarnation of Pet Shop Boys was over by 1991 anyway. Adapt or die. They played the game and became one of the most bankable live pop draws in the world, and have maintained a high standard of excellence while doing so. If thigh slapping and this kind of thing was the price of that, "I'll pay the price that others pay, 'cause it's worth it."

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

Nickname

#23 Post by Nickname »

Drico One wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021, 6:48 pm
Nickname wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021, 5:10 pm What do you think we could expect from this show?. A duet between Years on Years and PSB only or something else?.
I can't tell you what the chosen song or songs will be, but I can guarantee lots of thigh slapping.
Good observation, I liked to read it.

But back to the topic, what I'd like to know is if PSB are going take part of it strongly or with 1 song only.

psbfannyc

#24 Post by psbfannyc »

Nickname wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021, 8:19 pm
Good observation, I liked to read it.

But back to the topic, what I'd like to know is if PSB are going take part of it strongly or with 1 song only.
I am sure they already have Stuart Price working on a segued medley of goodies!!!

ChoonHound

#25 Post by ChoonHound »

Drico One wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021, 6:48 pm [I miss the PSB of, say, 1991 in much the same way I miss being a teenager. It was fun while it lasted, but never as good at the time as one might imagine it was in sepia-toned retrospect. But they and
SEPIA-TONED? We’re talking about NINETEEN 91, not EIGHTEEN 91, cowboy.

Perhaps it is me who has changed, maybe they were never too cool for this crap.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Drico One

#26 Post by Drico One »

Luke Colorado wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021, 8:29 pm
Drico One wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021, 6:48 pm [I miss the PSB of, say, 1991 in much the same way I miss being a teenager. It was fun while it lasted, but never as good at the time as one might imagine it was in sepia-toned retrospect. But they and
SEPIA-TONED? We’re talking about NINETEEN 91, not EIGHTEEN 91, cowboy.

Perhaps it is me who has changed, maybe they were never too cool for this crap.
:D It's 30 years ago, Luke! A different world. For comparison, go back from '91 to '61 and you travel back from colour to black and white. On the day Pet Shop Boys appeared in that Christmas edition of Going Live, the Soviet Union was still in existence, albeit about to dissolve the following week. Perhaps you haven't changed at all... :wink:

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...

leesmapman

#27 Post by leesmapman »

Jesus, 1991 is as long as 1961 was in 1991... That hits hard.

OakeyDokey

#28 Post by OakeyDokey »

Drico, seeing as early-90s Pets is on your mind; kindly make your way over to the Revisiting Behaviour thread you started but tantalisingly left unfinished, and unleash your final few essays on the album there. Go raibh maith agat.

y3potential

#29 Post by y3potential »

But enough snidery. I, for one, think it's tremendous that they are invited to mass-market mainstream nonsense like this in 2021/2. If the PSB of 1991 would have sneered at the thought of doing this, that's only because the PSB of 1991 probably never thought they'd still be a going concern 30 years later. It would have been the equivalent of The Everly Brothers fronting the 1991 New Year's Eve special. Anyway, what were the über cool PSB of 1991 doing that Christmas? Why, turning up on Going Live - Saturday morning kids' tv - to promote their flagging single Was It Worth It? and the underperfoming Discography - and all of this in the wake of the commercial disappointment of Behaviour and Being Boring. They weren't so cool in '91 to give Trevor and Simon a wide berth.

At this stage in their fantastically successful career as a duo, they should be loosening pointless restrictions and bringing down self-imposed barriers and embracing their legacy as pillars of the pop establishment. They are inherently part of the English-language pop canon. I'd sooner they appear on this crap and stuff like the Now That's What I Call Music Yearbooks than in dark alleys pretending to be seedy in their sixties. The latter might have been more engaging 35 years ago, but we all move on...

In 1991, many fans thought the game was up. So here we are in 2021 with the PSBs due to appear on a BBC Radio 2 takeover, at a New Year's Eve gig on BBC tv, and on repeats of the 1988 Top of the Pops Christmas Special. A greatest hits world tour awaits...and inevitably new music will follow. I miss the PSB of, say, 1991 in much the same way I miss being a teenager. It was fun while it lasted, but never as good at the time as one might imagine it was in sepia-toned retrospect. But they and we are, somehow, still here 30 years on. If I'd known that when Neil asked the following Going Live quiz question that Saturday in December 1991: "How many top 30 singles are on Discography, the Complete Singles Collection?" - I'd have been ecstatic. The reference to the top 30 instead of the top 20 was evidence that Was It Worth It? was going to be the first PSB single to miss the upper reaches of the chart the following day when its chart position would be announced.

As Neil rightly sang: "If I'd had my way, this would have happened much sooner." In many ways, the original incarnation of Pet Shop Boys was over by 1991 anyway. Adapt or die. They played the game and became one of the most bankable live pop draws in the world, and have maintained a high standard of excellence while doing so. If thigh slapping and this kind of thing was the price of that, "I'll pay the price that others pay, 'cause it's worth it."

Drico.

As ever a very enjoyable and witty post. Without wanting to stray off topic too much, to this day I will never understand why they did next to no promotion for DJ Culture, Was It Worth It? and Discography as a whole.. No Top of the Pops appearances for example.. OK, they appeared on Going Live, but big deal..! I hold the thought that they believed Discography would just fly off the shelves due to its content (a fair assumption on their part!), but forgot that you have to actually promote your product too...!!
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

tottenhammattspurs

#30 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

To be fair, it did “fly off the shelves”. It sold 250,000 copies really quickly.

It took another 25 years to sell the second 250,000….
is is and isnt isnt