PSB on BBC1 on New Year's Eve

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Re: PSB on BBC1 on New Year's Eve

#91 Post by Nickname »

Tentenlad wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021, 10:43 am Regarding Discography, I think it ‘bombed’ because the singles around it were a huge drop in quality - tracks after being boring took a nose dive, though they were still ok, just not up to the previous long run of classics. Dj culture was also a terrible single choice and probably lost them a lot of casual fans just prior to release.
Go West like main single of Discography. :lol:

I don't know maybe they had plans to release Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you) for Discography at first and when they saw BB was a flop, they changed their minds.

telys

#92 Post by telys »

Nickname wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021, 1:48 pm
Tentenlad wrote: Fri 24 Dec 2021, 10:43 am Regarding Discography, I think it ‘bombed’ because the singles around it were a huge drop in quality - tracks after being boring took a nose dive, though they were still ok, just not up to the previous long run of classics. Dj culture was also a terrible single choice and probably lost them a lot of casual fans just prior to release.
Go West like main single of Discography. :lol:

I don't know maybe they had plans to release Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you) for Discography at first and when they saw BB was a flop, they changed their minds.
Oh cool contrafactual wondering. Discograpy released in 1992 with Go West as lead single and then Was it worth it as final track on Very... followed by Postscript... what a great combination. That version of Very would've probably reached nr 1 as well riding on the Go West wave.
----
You've got me all wrong

Undertaker

#94 Post by Undertaker »

It's actually done really well over time. Estimated over 5 million copies sold worldwide. However, upon release, its kinda did bomb. So did PopArt.

rashomon

#95 Post by rashomon »

Shame the boys were not the first to perform in 2022 … good performance though

Happy New Year all!
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

leesmapman

#96 Post by leesmapman »

That was fun. Regular It's a sin version was played, not the Brits version. The extra backing vocals worked nicely. Dreamland was good, I should listen to it more, it's a banger.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

Xakrij

#97 Post by Xakrij »

Thoroughly enjoyed the performance.
That was my first time listening to Dreamland.
I think I'll give Hotspot a first listen this evening during Champagne bottle No. 2!

(Champers all right with you, Pats?)
Shot in the fatal cause 'of frock-and-droll'

Sandy Shaw

#98 Post by Sandy Shaw »

leesmapman wrote: Sat 01 Jan 2022, 12:41 am That was fun. Regular It's a sin version was played, not the Brits version. The extra backing vocals worked nicely. Dreamland was good, I should listen to it more, it's a banger.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk
It sounded quite fast!
What's for supper?

jasonjohn

#99 Post by jasonjohn »

Hmm, I wonder if someone could share the stream somewhere. Quite hard to access outside of the UK

jasonjohn

#100 Post by jasonjohn »

Oh wow just started working through my VPN. Was a big ~5min delay at the start for some reason.

Hope this gets preserved on youtube still.

PopArt

#101 Post by PopArt »

Nice to see them at the start of the new year. Thought they did a good performance. And both looking good- though it makes me chuckle how Chris has adopted the face mask as a way to destroy disguise himself even more! Every (pandemic) cloud has a silver lining!
I'm always waiting...

King1

#102 Post by King1 »

Only Chris could even more in disguise than his usual self,made me laugh ,thought he looked very cool as usual

Kiran

#103 Post by Kiran »

Found this a bit disappointing. Why couldn't they have had a couple of songs to themselves rather than an Olly support act?
I rule. You don't.

minimal

#104 Post by minimal »

So it appears that the BBC uploaded performances of Olly and Kylie on YouTube only this morning. No sign of PSB whatsoever.

m+

contraddictive

#105 Post by contraddictive »

The ideas central to the central idea