PSB are quieter than usual

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Future Lover

Re: PSB are quieter than usual

#61 Post by Future Lover »

leesmapman wrote: Sun 07 Nov 2021, 5:46 pm
Future Lover wrote: Sun 07 Nov 2021, 3:58 pm Just thinking of them reading this, after giving us 8 new FL bonus discs, an EP, two live albums/DVDs, a studio album with a bonus disc, two soundtrack EPs, a fan-only single, B-sides... all in the space of the last five years, someone would DARE and ask for more?
You're forgetting the Paul Weller remix, the Musik EP and the Beautiful Laundrette CD.
I give you the remix, but I do mention two soundtrack EPs :)

oakey

#62 Post by oakey »

Fully agree, I am just being inpatient (and did not really like Cricket Wife and the Weller remix). Always hungry for more :p

leesmapman

#63 Post by leesmapman »

Future Lover wrote: Mon 08 Nov 2021, 7:51 amI give you the remix, but I do mention two soundtrack EPs :)
Oh yeah, I don't really consider them as soundtracks, but I might have to redefine the term for myself.

eastendboy

#64 Post by eastendboy »

Some interesting points on here, personally I would like the occasional update about new songs. Chuck us a few crumbs with song titles or even a quick clip of demos of songs that they are working on. Totally understand the output regarding reissues etc. and Chris and Neil have never done things the conventional way and they are stubborn about doing it their way. This is one of the reasons I got into their music in the 80’s as it wasn’t like anyone else and they were going to stand as still as possible on top of the pops. Neil said when they performed rent on the London palladium show there was no entertainer value.
We as fans always demand more and having friends who are musicians and they tell me how difficult it is to write new material and I always think their last album will be their last and i am always grateful for new material and if Chris or Neil read this or someone they know reads this chuck us some crumbs please.

daveid

#65 Post by daveid »

I'd like to think that the long silence is due to them being busy recording a new album. They'll probably just announce it out of thin air next week. Not.

FuelForAdventure
Great Britain

#66 Post by FuelForAdventure »

A long time lurker who's registered just to post this.....

They'll almost certainly be contractually obliged not to change their image, current album, style of music, or pre-agreed release schedule in order to protect the investments concert promoters have made in the forthcoming Dreamworld Tour. They'll have signed those concert bookings pre-Covid expecting to have started the tour within a few months, not within a few years. Consequently, they'll have had to "freeze" themselves until the tour starts and the press coverage rolls in.

I highly expect the next release will be a greatest hits called Dreamworld to accompany the tour, which may well be part of the deal with the concert promoters, but again they've had wait a few years until they release that to support the tour which has stopped them releasing any other work.

And before anyone asks, yes that's how it works. And how do I know? Well, I don't choose to randomly know that stuff for fun....

DopeFiend

#67 Post by DopeFiend »

Does anyone think it'll get to a point where they will be obligated to say something?
Surely they have to say whether they're on hiatus or are going to release a new album or project.
FuelForAdventure wrote: Tue 09 Nov 2021, 3:55 pm A long time lurker who's registered just to post this.....

They'll almost certainly be contractually obliged not to change their image, current album, style of music, or pre-agreed release schedule in order to protect the investments concert promoters have made in the forthcoming Dreamworld Tour. They'll have signed those concert bookings pre-Covid expecting to have started the tour within a few months, not within a few years. Consequently, they'll have had to "freeze" themselves until the tour starts and the press coverage rolls in.

I highly expect the next release will be a greatest hits called Dreamworld to accompany the tour, which may well be part of the deal with the concert promoters, but again they've had wait a few years until they release that to support the tour which has stopped them releasing any other work.

And before anyone asks, yes that's how it works. And how do I know? Well, I don't choose to randomly know that stuff for fun....
That's something. I like that theory, they're being quite because Dreamworld has been delayed and they're contractually obligated to not change anything until after the tour.
I feel like PSB should have a higher amount of creative control though, and I can't imagine it'd be risky or difficult to update the Dreamworld setlist and style if they were to bring out something new or change their style.

lucienchardon

#68 Post by lucienchardon »

DopeFiend wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022, 3:58 am Does anyone think it'll get to a point where they will be obligated to say something?
Surely they have to say whether they're on hiatus or are going to release a new album or project.
FuelForAdventure wrote: Tue 09 Nov 2021, 3:55 pm A long time lurker who's registered just to post this.....

That's something. I like that theory, they're being quite because Dreamworld has been delayed and they're contractually obligated to not change anything until after the tour.
I feel like PSB should have a higher amount of creative control though, and I can't imagine it'd be risky or difficult to update the Dreamworld setlist and style if they were to bring out something new or change their style.
How are they being quiet? They just performed on New Year's for BBC1, they were on BBC2 playing records, they remixed Paul Weller and they might remix Soft Cell. And they released Cricket Wife last year along with Discovery. They normally release an album every three or four years. It's only been two years since they released Hotspot.

glennjridge

#69 Post by glennjridge »

yeah I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt they want to release ....another album... they cant fully tour behind.

thats always been the fun for them, put out an album and tour in support of it. to just put an album out there in the wind lacking a tour I suspect it would just die on the vine. I thought I heard someone say nowadays, bands only really make money on the tours...the albums are just a labor of love in todays age.

retrofuturist

#70 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
glennjridge wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022, 6:47 am yeah I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt they want to release ....another album... they cant fully tour behind.
The fact they were intending to do a Dreamworld "Greatest Hits" tour where the themes were not remotely connected to Hotspot (aside from the play on words - i.e. Dreamland / Dreamworld), sounds to me as if they're not all that concerned about synchronizing the two.

Retro. :)

MikeyC

#71 Post by MikeyC »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022, 6:54 am Greetings,
glennjridge wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022, 6:47 am yeah I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt they want to release ....another album... they cant fully tour behind.
The fact they were intending to do a Dreamworld "Greatest Hits" tour where the themes were not remotely connected to Hotspot (aside from the play on words - i.e. Dreamland / Dreamworld), sounds to me as if they're not all that concerned about synchronizing the two.

Retro. :)
Who knows… the stage setting of the Dreamworld Tour may take place at a Berlin train station! 😎

Undertaker

#72 Post by Undertaker »

This is the problem with the Internet. Everyone's got used to having news at the touch of a button. Bring back the 0898 number you had to ring every few months...

jasonjohn

#73 Post by jasonjohn »

I reckon their touring legs are slowing, and with covid definitely persisting they must be thinking about changing gears entirely.

It's weird though. I was fully expecting the final Price venture to be another high energy affair, to suit pulling in the fresher concert audiences. But it wasn't. And instead it was a dreamy interlude before the whole Greatest Hits tour attempt.

I really think after that round of Greatest Hits they were planning on toning things down to less ambitious gigs, size-wise. Maybe more arty and bespoke.

The next album will be.... interesting.

I can't imagine where they will go thematically.

Nickname

#74 Post by Nickname »

Apart from Dreamland and Monkey Business, I don't see many reasons to play other songs than hits. Maybe they could choose songs like Vocal, Love etc, I'm with stupid to fill the gap between the 90's and 20's :lol:

minimal

#75 Post by minimal »

Who's producing the next record? So if there will be a new producer or any producer at all, that's the news I'm really excited about. I hope they'll chose someone unexpected.

However, I also do think that there won't be any new material before the forthcoming Dreamworld tour has come to a proper end. Subsequently, we'll probably get a new album in 2024. But then again the Dreamworld tour might last three years and releasing new tracks will be postponed until 2025. This scenario though doesn't consider Chris who might want to have a break after touring this extensively; so this will let us hear new music in autumn of 2026 (originally intended to be released in spring but postponed due to Adele who's blocking the vinyl factories as her first best of compilation called Age of Adele is about to hit the streets). This collection of songs will then be toured in 2027 (Europe in spring and autumn, Festivals in summer, rest of the world in 2028). Mind you: The songs then released and performed live may have well be written in 2020/21 during lockdown. Meanwhile, Nickname proclaims that there's no hits on the new record.

Then the 20s are almost done. Surprise: Finally, a complete Singles discography and a third collection of b sides are released in 2029. In support of the latter, PSB perform a career spanning selection of b sides at a club show tour in 2030.
In an exclusive fan interview conducted by Drico, Neil says he would like to publish a reworked version of truck driver accompanying the new issue of Annually. Chris vetoes. Nickname later listens to the leaked track and calls it their first hit record in ages.

In 2031, the final PSB decade begins until they eventually retire.

Bonus outlook: In 2040, Elton releases a rearranged version of Can you feel the love tonight with Dua Lipa's yet to be born daughter. It's Elton's first UK number 1 since 2021. The very same year, new order consider releasing a new 3-track-EP "at some point in the future" which would be their first new material since Be a rebel (2021). Yet, Sumner argues that there's a new GH record on the way. In a Facebook group related to NO/JD, Hook comments that releasing a new NO GH is "bollocks". Holly then comments on Twitter that NO aren't a band, really. They're more like "a group of people". At the same time, Marr releases more mediocre indie songs that all sound the same and probably no-one cares about. Still, PSB deliver one final remix. Weller likes the announcement on Instagram. Several members of the PSB forum wonder whether or not Disco 5 might still be an option.

😳

m+
Last edited by minimal on Sat 08 Jan 2022, 10:15 am, edited 8 times in total.