PSB are quieter than usual

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Disco.

Re: PSB are quieter than usual

#46 Post by Disco. »

Yes, it did.

oakey

#47 Post by oakey »

There really is no news whatsoever, is there?

DopeFiend

#48 Post by DopeFiend »

Yep, really no news.

How is everyone taking this quiet period?
For me it's actually been a bit traumatic.
I've emotionally divorced from PSB.
I've gone from listening to them for several hours every day to not listening to them at all.
I've changed to listening habits I haven't had for over 10 years, no kidding.

With Pet Shop Boys, the music is so layered you can keep listening to it over and over. With hundreds of songs it takes a while to loop back to the same one, and even then you notice or listen to the track in a different way the next time by the time it rings around. I also love how the catalogue mixes well together, and on shuffle you can notice correlations and juxtapositions. So listening dozens of times is rewarding. Hearing a recent b-side mix through with an 80's b-side for example.
Then after you get tired of the main catalogue there's the remixes only released on CD and vinyl. I'd also go and listen to the unreleased demos of tracks and really analyse the difference with the final tracks. And there's live bootlegs.
By the time you've listened to everything, the other bit has drifted from your memory. So basically I've been listening to PSB nonstop every day in my spare time, while working, while getting ready for work, when driving, after work, on the weekends, etc. For 10 years plus.
This moment of silence, combined with the recent interview has killed it for me.
I still love PSB. I can't deny what it's done for me, and how it's developed my personality. But I now feel disconnected from it all.
Has anyone read the recent interview? Neil talks about the fans and says "I don't play by your game, we play by own game." Not a direct quote but it's close. Basically he's saying f*ck you, I don't care what the fans want. I do what I want.
It may seem small to some people. But it has completely changed the way I view PSB and Neil.
I've always read they were seen as pretentious in the 80s. I didn't quite see it.
Now I totally see it, they seem extremely pretentious. The posh accent, untraditional creative exploits, the remarks in the interview.
It just feels a bit... wrong.
I don't know I can explain it much further. I always felt like Neil and Chris were with me. Supportive and really about a dance-music feel-good vibe. Now they're like 'nah, forget it. we might release a soundtrack eventually but don't even ask us, we're doing our own thing, it doesn't concern you.'
Even if he didn't make the remarks, there's still the things I mentioned last post. The fact they've always been doing something and only now there's a moment of limbo with nothing to look forward to.
I mean I went and listened to Hotspot. It's good but this is like 2 years old. 40 minutes of music. It's good, but what's to set them apart from other artists.
This quiet period has created long lasting damage for me.
I might get back into PSB if they release something new. But I've gone from listening to and thinking about PSB every single day to disregarding them. There's a lot to analyse with PSB, the different eras and intentions, different collaborations. But when they've essentially ended things for 20 months it doesn't have the same meaning behind it. It's almost like the alternative reality of them being a 1 hit wonder and only releasing music back in the heyday before breaking up. We still love them, but it's not part of our lives anymore.

Excuse the long write-up. I can't really self-edit.

One last thing I'd like to add. Neil has said with hardcore fans, there's something sad that happens where essentially they rely on PSB to give them happiness and focus the blame of their lack of fulfilment of own their lives to the wrong places as a result.
This is something I think about regularly, and he could be right, essentially meaning any unsatisfaction with PSB is unfounded. but it's a 2 way street in my view, and our views, even if unfounded in my view are worth sharing.

The last month has been crazy for me. Actually going back to a different mindset from before I discovered PSB. I've had to process the fact my life existed before PSB, and therefore I can exist without them.
May sound dramatic, but I'm telling the truth.

Future Lover

#49 Post by Future Lover »

Sorry you're going through... whatever that is, but I feel like this is definitely a you problem that has nothing to do with the Boys. They're on hiatus because we're literally in one of the most stressful periods of our lifetimes. They've done an extensive re-issue campaign with more than 300 songs, all remastered just a couple of years ago, and reissued books and other fan service. Cut them some slack.

Undertaker

#50 Post by Undertaker »

I wouldn't be surprised if the next release is a Greatest Hits package. Three or 4 cds and maybe one cd something similar to what Elton John has done.

Nickname

#51 Post by Nickname »

DopeFiend wrote: Fri 05 Nov 2021, 8:35 pm Yep, really no news.

How is everyone taking this quiet period?
For me it's actually been a bit traumatic.
I've emotionally divorced from PSB.
I've gone from listening to them for several hours every day to not listening to them at all.
I've changed to listening habits I haven't had for over 10 years, no kidding.

With Pet Shop Boys, the music is so layered you can keep listening to it over and over. With hundreds of songs it takes a while to loop back to the same one, and even then you notice or listen to the track in a different way the next time by the time it rings around. I also love how the catalogue mixes well together, and on shuffle you can notice correlations and juxtapositions. So listening dozens of times is rewarding. Hearing a recent b-side mix through with an 80's b-side for example.
Then after you get tired of the main catalogue there's the remixes only released on CD and vinyl. I'd also go and listen to the unreleased demos of tracks and really analyse the difference with the final tracks. And there's live bootlegs.
By the time you've listened to everything, the other bit has drifted from your memory. So basically I've been listening to PSB nonstop every day in my spare time, while working, while getting ready for work, when driving, after work, on the weekends, etc. For 10 years plus.
This moment of silence, combined with the recent interview has killed it for me.
I still love PSB. I can't deny what it's done for me, and how it's developed my personality. But I now feel disconnected from it all.
Has anyone read the recent interview? Neil talks about the fans and says "I don't play by your game, we play by own game." Not a direct quote but it's close. Basically he's saying f*ck you, I don't care what the fans want. I do what I want.
It may seem small to some people. But it has completely changed the way I view PSB and Neil.
I've always read they were seen as pretentious in the 80s. I didn't quite see it.
Now I totally see it, they seem extremely pretentious. The posh accent, untraditional creative exploits, the remarks in the interview.
It just feels a bit... wrong.
I don't know I can explain it much further. I always felt like Neil and Chris were with me. Supportive and really about a dance-music feel-good vibe. Now they're like 'nah, forget it. we might release a soundtrack eventually but don't even ask us, we're doing our own thing, it doesn't concern you.'
Even if he didn't make the remarks, there's still the things I mentioned last post. The fact they've always been doing something and only now there's a moment of limbo with nothing to look forward to.
I mean I went and listened to Hotspot. It's good but this is like 2 years old. 40 minutes of music. It's good, but what's to set them apart from other artists.
This quiet period has created long lasting damage for me.
I might get back into PSB if they release something new. But I've gone from listening to and thinking about PSB every single day to disregarding them. There's a lot to analyse with PSB, the different eras and intentions, different collaborations. But when they've essentially ended things for 20 months it doesn't have the same meaning behind it. It's almost like the alternative reality of them being a 1 hit wonder and only releasing music back in the heyday before breaking up. We still love them, but it's not part of our lives anymore.

Excuse the long write-up. I can't really self-edit.

One last thing I'd like to add. Neil has said with hardcore fans, there's something sad that happens where essentially they rely on PSB to give them happiness and focus the blame of their lack of fulfilment of own their lives to the wrong places as a result.
This is something I think about regularly, and he could be right, essentially meaning any unsatisfaction with PSB is unfounded. but it's a 2 way street in my view, and our views, even if unfounded in my view are worth sharing.

The last month has been crazy for me. Actually going back to a different mindset from before I discovered PSB. I've had to process the fact my life existed before PSB, and therefore I can exist without them.
May sound dramatic, but I'm telling the truth.
I quite agree with DopeFiend. But I don't want Neil or Chris could read something like this and say: Ok, it's over!.
I want more from PSB.

They have been more creative than ever three years ago. The thing is they write many songs but these ones are not particulary talented. In some way, we should accept they are probably not able to create the amazing songs they did in the 80's and 90's anymore. They don't even have the help of big producers, engeneers, musicians, mixers, orchestras, backing vocals, etc they had at that time for their pop gems. It costs a lot of money.

Hotspot is not a bad album but it doesn't surprise. Maybe the most surprising song is Monkey Business. I think they should go for that way but of course, they are not going to do it. :lol:

I think most of us feel a bit depressed.

daveid

#52 Post by daveid »

I always go a bit off them in the periods between albums and get back into other bands and artists I like. I'll occasionally try to reawaken my interest by listening to a mix of songs but to be honest it really takes new music to get me back into them these days. They've been around for a long time and released an awful lot of music and there's very little they can do to surprise me these days (now that Cricket wife has been and gone!) I wasn't exactly blown away by Hotspot. I think it's got about four or five songs I revisit and I think it's better produced than Super but it's not exactly Behaviour. What we get from now on is a bonus to an already impressive catalogue so I'm happy to wait...sort of.

Regarding the earlier poster's severe crisis at lack of news, let's remember the way the world used to be. The Pets were effectively dead through 1992 and a good chunk of 93. No internet in those days to keep us informed, but people were far less concerned by lack of news then. Music was just something incidental whilst we lived our lives in the real world. We're a completely altered species these days.

Spittingcat

#53 Post by Spittingcat »

I don't care what the fans want. I do what I want.
Good. Ideally artists should create what they want, when they can, and not worry about the fans until it comes to touring and promotion.

Old Soak

#54 Post by Old Soak »

Undertaker wrote: Sat 06 Nov 2021, 3:35 am I wouldn't be surprised if the next release is a Greatest Hits package. Three or 4 cds and maybe one cd something similar to what Elton John has done.
Dear God, no. Appalling sign of an artist treading water and bereft of ideas or simply cashing in on Christmas.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

leesmapman

#55 Post by leesmapman »

You think this is silence? Try being a Kraftwerk fan. There was 17 years of no new music (1986 to 2003) and since that it's been 18.

The period 2012-2014 was terrible for being a Jean-Michel Jarre fan too. The biggest thing we could get excited for was a Back To Mine-ish compilation in 2013 and a sporadic concert. Most of the time was spent on Electronica 1 & 2 production of course, but the silence was deafening most of the time. From 2007 to 2015 there was no new music to look forward to.

Future Lover

#56 Post by Future Lover »

Just thinking of them reading this, after giving us 8 new FL bonus discs, an EP, two live albums/DVDs, a studio album with a bonus disc, two soundtrack EPs, a fan-only single, B-sides... all in the space of the last five years, someone would DARE and ask for more?

leesmapman

#57 Post by leesmapman »

Future Lover wrote: Sun 07 Nov 2021, 3:58 pm Just thinking of them reading this, after giving us 8 new FL bonus discs, an EP, two live albums/DVDs, a studio album with a bonus disc, two soundtrack EPs, a fan-only single, B-sides... all in the space of the last five years, someone would DARE and ask for more?
You're forgetting the Paul Weller remix, the Musik EP and the Beautiful Laundrette CD.

oakey

#58 Post by oakey »

I get the "emotionally divorced" comment. I still listen to PSB music but not as often as when the new album came out (typing this, I actually had to google its title! "Hotspot" of course, a tip of the tongue moment). I also went to see the latest C2H show a few montsh before and there were several other 7" and 12" records being released at the time.

I have currently been listening to the new Duran Duran Future Past album which I like, but with Duran it's even more of an issue as their in-between album gaps tend to get longer and longer (5-6 years is the norm) and they rarely release other physical product than just the album plus they rarely tour Europe. So in a few month my Duran interest will have waned, if there is no European tour being announced.

With the Boys, there is still the rescheduled Oberhausen show to look forward to. The good news is also that new shows are being added, so it's not that Chris or Neil is unwell or anything. But am also looking forward to new music. Not so much the new Annually.

daveid

#59 Post by daveid »

It's only six months since Cricket wife came out, hardly a long time. Between Somewhere and I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more there was a two year release gap, 2014 and 2015 were devoid of anything too.

domino

#60 Post by domino »

In about 6 month is the shedulded start of the tour. I hink that's enough time to relax. And in May 2022, we'll start with full power. Let's hope for the best! :dance:
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.