Anything?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MikeyC

Re: Anything?

#46 Post by MikeyC »

I’m thinking of selling my Erasure box set - it’s sealed AND it’s actually from the personal collection of Vince Clarke. I attended a record fair a few months ago (to benefit the indie radio station that his biweekly radio show airs on) and there was a raffle, he donated his box set, and I won the raffle!

tottenhammattspurs

#47 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

negative_0ne wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021, 7:05 pm
psbfannyc wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021, 10:57 am Maybe they will finally do a retrospective boxset like Erasure's highly curated one (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Moscow_to_Mars)? In time for a 3 year Greatest Hits tour that will allegedly start in May 2022?
the erasure one was a terrible mess, with lots missing,
and duplication, and very pricey too.

so no, i hope they don't do one like that.

later
Could be worse, it could be like the Depeche Mode albums box set that’s around £400 and contains ONE previously unreleased song!
is is and isnt isnt

TwizzleUK

#48 Post by TwizzleUK »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021, 9:22 am Could be worse, it could be like the Depeche Mode albums box set that’s around £400 and contains ONE previously unreleased song!
Depeche Mode have become quite the masters at re-selling fans what they already have. Didn't know this set even have the one exclusive track! What was is (and from which album)?

tottenhammattspurs

#49 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

A studio version of Bowie’s “Heroes” that they had been performing as an encore on the Spirit tour.
is is and isnt isnt

MikeyC

#50 Post by MikeyC »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021, 4:40 pm A studio version of Bowie’s “Heroes” that they had been performing as an encore on the Spirit tour.
It was incredible live in concert! 😎

negative_0ne

#51 Post by negative_0ne »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021, 9:22 am
psbfannyc wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021, 10:57 am Maybe they will finally do a retrospective boxset like Erasure's highly curated one (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Moscow_to_Mars)? In time for a 3 year Greatest Hits tour that will allegedly start in May 2022?

later
Could be worse, it could be like the Depeche Mode albums box set that’s around £400 and contains ONE previously unreleased song!
i will actually be buying that, because i like the book.

my friend has it also.

later

Dog

#52 Post by Dog »

Spittingcat wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lockdown_Sessions

https://store.eltonjohn.com/*/The-Lockd ... 43418TA000
7. Elton John & Years & Years – It's a sin (global reach mix)
Global reach mix???
Out today. Slightly different drum track, to my ears at least.
Woof.

negative_0ne

#53 Post by negative_0ne »

tottenhammattspurs wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021, 9:22 am

later
i don't have that depeche mode boxset yet.
but i did check out a friends.

i like the all black artwork, and the book is excellent.

also, have 2 discs of b-sides was very convenient too.

it might be 400UKP now, but it wasn't when it was released.

so that's not a good example either.

later

TwizzleUK

#54 Post by TwizzleUK »

negative_0ne wrote: Fri 22 Oct 2021, 5:09 pm i don't have that depeche mode boxset yet. [...,]
also, have 2 discs of b-sides was very convenient too.
it might be 400UKP now, but it wasn't when it was released.
later
Technically, I think it's 4 discs of B-sides, and I'd've liked these too, but I only buy boxed sets that (a) contain mostly lots of interesting, previously unreleased material; and (b) don't cost an absolute fortune.

I realised my digital collection of scanned CDs and purchased downloads included all but 8 of the tracks on those 4 Depeche Mode CDs. Only 2 were unavailable digitally (7" edit of 'Oh Well' and 'Heroes'). Bought the digital downloads of the six I didn't have and recreated the 4 CDs as playlists on my home music server and portable media player. Less than £5 with only two missing tracks, verses several hundred pounds to get all four CDs plus the two exclusive tracks - I can easily live with that!

It's the reason I hope any future boxed sets PSB may release are purchasable as individual tracks digitally - particularly if any are complete singles collections with all the remixes. Really don't want to spend an absolute fortune to re-buy stuff I already have just to get the few decent remixes I've yet to track down digitally.

DopeFiend

#55 Post by DopeFiend »

A thought I had, just to put into perspective how far away Hotspot was.
That was before covid!!
I remember, I was trying to meet with New Order to hand them some spare copies of Hotspot Special Edition. They were in the Botanical Gardens here in Melbourne but I didn't bother in the end. Anyway I saw New Order live the following day and there haven't been any concerts in Melbourne since. That was a good 2 years ago. A whole different world.

Life and society has changed so very much since Covid has struck. A new US president, new pop culture, new daily life practises.
I know the UK has apparently opened up, (though I read there are hundreds of deaths daily and thousands of cases) but here where I am we're only just now opening up from the world's longest lockdown. Still many harsh restrictions in place.

What bothers me with PSB at the moment is there's nothing to look forward to. We can only guess and assume they'll be releasing something at some point.
At least say they're working on a theatrical soundtrack that's confirmed to be released, or they're working on conceptualising the next album which will be released at some point.
At the moment it's like they're drafting some tracks and that's it. I wanna know if an album is being released next year or not. It almost feels like they're retiring in a whimper instead of a bang.
Where's the live stream-only concert. Where's some special release. We had a 2 track release but artists like Elton John are releasing a whole lockdown album. No excuse for releasing nothing. I suppose a good PSB album takes 3 years, so an announcement of the next one is due soon but we don't know.
I mean practically all we've been given all year is Cricket Wife and everyone hates it, it sounds like a demo and Neil admits the vocals were improvised and just recorded at home.

I feel like we've never had such a quiet period. I've been following PSB since about 2009. It's always been a new b-side or re-release, new release, live album, collaboration, live tour, interviews, something! If not released, then at least announced so we know it's coming. The last release affiliated with PSB was Cosmic Fringes in July. These months later there's nothing to look forward to. I figure maybe there's a moment of the eye in the storm shortly before an announcement but it's taking too long. My life is changing so much without PSB being involved. It's been so brilliant sharing a journey with my favourite artist, but they've gone silent.

Anyway excuse the long write up, had to get it off my chest.

Future Lover

#56 Post by Future Lover »

It's all basically in this title.
https://www.theonion.com/man-not-sure-w ... 1843004933
No one is obligated to give us anything if they can't or won't. We're all still living in this.