Pet Shop Boys - Covers

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TwizzleUK

Re: Pet Shop Boys - Covers

#16 Post by TwizzleUK »

domino wrote: Wed 13 Oct 2021, 8:11 am
Old Soak wrote: Tue 12 Oct 2021, 9:21 pm Thinking of PSB's own covers. Has anyone ever put together an album from what's available? what would be the best selection of 12 tracks IYO?
Oh, I like the idea! There could easily be a double album of covers. :D

1. We're the Pet Shop Boys
2. Always on my mind
3. Go West
4. Losing my mind
5. Where the Streets have no name
6. My Girl
7. Somewhere
8. Viva la vida/Domino Dancing
9. The last to die
10. Break for love
11. It’s alright
12. If love were all
Geowayne lists 38 cover versions in total: http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/lists/coversongs.htm

By my reckoning, there's eight on his list that haven't been officially released, and no original version of 'Dancing In The Dusk', so I wouldn't count that technically as a cover.

'Where The Streets Have No Name' and 'I Can't Take My Eyes Off You' are listed separately, so in terms of a playlist/compilation, that reduces the total by 10 to 28.

Also, if I were to put a playlist together, I wouldn't include any of the live recordings that just have a brief excerpt of a song as part of a medley, so that rules out 'I Will Survive', 'Mr Vain' and 'The Rhythm Of The Night' (although I would include 'Girls & Boys', as that's a complete song). So my personal playlist of PSB cover versions would be 25 tracks long. Guess that'd be a double CD, as speculated!

CroMagnon

#17 Post by CroMagnon »

... and whatever else is on the playlist, leave off 'What keeps mankind alive'. It is the worst thing PSB have every recorded.
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

domino

#18 Post by domino »

CroMagnon wrote: Wed 13 Oct 2021, 5:44 pm ... and whatever else is on the playlist, leave off 'What keeps mankind alive'. It is the worst thing PSB have every recorded.
... the former enfant terrible, the sound of the atom splitting, Winner ... :P
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

CroMagnon

#19 Post by CroMagnon »

domino wrote: Thu 14 Oct 2021, 10:31 am
CroMagnon wrote: Wed 13 Oct 2021, 5:44 pm ... and whatever else is on the playlist, leave off 'What keeps mankind alive'. It is the worst thing PSB have every recorded.
... the former enfant terrible, the sound of the atom splitting, Winner ... :P
Those aren’t covers though.
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

jasonjohn

#20 Post by jasonjohn »

I find some of these covers are verging on disrespectful. Almost like an mocking art project.

Quite liked "Henrike Werner - Se A Vida É (That’s The Way Life Is)". Has actual music abilities, and ukulele is always sweet.