US TOUR

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Spittingcat

Re: US TOUR

#166 Post by Spittingcat »

Plastic and Monkey Business were both highlights when I saw/heard them live in the last 12 months. Not easy cutting these sets down to festival length is it!

Rorie

#167 Post by Rorie »

In Toronto Vocal kind of fell flat to start. For a thumper of a tune, the crowd did not seem to get into it until Neil started to clap his hands. Then they started to dance to it.

I think at least 2/3rds of the crowd were New Order fans. Every time I spoke to someone, they seemed to be New Order fans. But everyone seemed to enjoy the PSB, especially the classic tunes.

Rorie

#168 Post by Rorie »

The set list is the same as the other festivals in Europe minus Go West. They dropped Go West from the set list.

And other than that, Neil did not spend as much time talking. For example they just went into playing Domino Dancing without him explaining how they got the title Domino Dancing.

Once New Order were done there was no joint encore. New Order played one encore, Love Will Tear Us Apart, and then that was it. I think most PSB fans were hoping for an Electronic track or some sort of "unity" at the end of the show, but there was not.

Merch is being handled it seems by Warner Music, as every box I saw had Warner all over it. And it looks like the design of the merch was done by Warner. Other than a red Canadian Flag PSB sweatshirt, I did not see anything that is not being sold online.

Sound was OK. A bit muddled. But that is probably the venue.

I would say at least 2/3rds of the crowd were there to see New Order, and enjoys the classic PSB tracks. Everyone I spoke to seemed to be New Order fans.

Rorie

#169 Post by Rorie »

Oh, and some chick decided to go into the mens bathroom stall with her guy, after lining up with every other man to use the bathrooms. Keeping it classy in T.O.

G_Goalden

#170 Post by G_Goalden »

Do we think that dropping GW could be Russia/Ukraine thing.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022

rashomon

#171 Post by rashomon »

G_Goalden wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022, 12:42 pm Do we think that dropping GW could be Russia/Ukraine thing.
now that's an interesting angle! .. and I would not be surprised if this was the reasoning behind it.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

rashomon

#172 Post by rashomon »

Rorie wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022, 11:04 am Merch is being handled it seems by Warner Music, as every box I saw had Warner all over it. And it looks like the design of the merch was done by Warner. Other than a red Canadian Flag PSB sweatshirt, I did not see anything that is not being sold online.
Got any images of the Canadian Flag sweatshirt Rorie?

rashomon

#173 Post by rashomon »

p.s we have three threads on the go all related to the Unity tour! ... any chance Admins can do a mega merge and err unite these? ;-)

G_Goalden

#174 Post by G_Goalden »

rashomon wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022, 12:56 pm
Rorie wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022, 11:04 am Merch is being handled it seems by Warner Music, as every box I saw had Warner all over it. And it looks like the design of the merch was done by Warner. Other than a red Canadian Flag PSB sweatshirt, I did not see anything that is not being sold online.
There’s one on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CioyznIgi8X ... MyMTA2M2Y=

It’s really nice.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017 | Manchester 2022

Danimal

#175 Post by Danimal »

I just checked in my accounting software and tickets to New Order's 2020 residency in Miami cost $60 per fees included. This was to see them at the 2,700 capacity Jackie Gleason Theatre. Tickets to the Unity tour cost $151 per ticket fees included to see both acts at the 15,800 capacity Huntington Bank Pavilion in Chicago. In Miami New Order played 17 to 18 songs per night, but on this tour it's 14. So, I'm paying more to see these two acts together, but the sets are shorter and the venues less intimate. I can see how this is a great deal for New Order and Pet Shop Boys as they're playing much larger arenas than either could support on their own, but for the fans it would be less expensive to see each act seperately, the venues would be smaller thus more desirable, and the setlists would be much longer.
At $151 a ticket this is not a show the casual listener is going to pay to see, this a tour aimed squarely at the fans, but it doesn't feel like fan service or value for money. And before anyone tells me to stop whining or that I'm being unreasonable, I have already paid $151 a ticket over two years ago to see this show, plus travel expenses to Chicago, so I feel I have every right to be critical.

Meebabi
Canada

#176 Post by Meebabi »

rashomon wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022, 12:56 pm
Sorry, I’m not the best photographer. I didn’t get one (which I kind of regret), as it was $100.

OakeyDokey

#177 Post by OakeyDokey »

The reason they're touring together must be partly because there is a crossover in terms of fanbase so they may argue that you're getting 80% of a full show each in one night from two iconic electropop forefathers. Along with a superstar DJ of that era in between.

lucienchardon

#178 Post by lucienchardon »

Danimal wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022, 2:25 pm I just checked in my accounting software and tickets to New Order's 2020 residency in Miami cost $60 per fees included. This was to see them at the 2,700 capacity Jackie Gleason Theatre. Tickets to the Unity tour cost $151 per ticket fees included to see both acts at the 15,800 capacity Huntington Bank Pavilion in Chicago. In Miami New Order played 17 to 18 songs per night, but on this tour it's 14. So, I'm paying more to see these two acts together, but the sets are shorter and the venues less intimate. I can see how this is a great deal for New Order and Pet Shop Boys as they're playing much larger arenas than either could support on their own, but for the fans it would be less expensive to see each act seperately, the venues would be smaller thus more desirable, and the setlists would be much longer.
At $151 a ticket this is not a show the casual listener is going to pay to see, this a tour aimed squarely at the fans, but it doesn't feel like fan service or value for money. And before anyone tells me to stop whining or that I'm being unreasonable, I have already paid $151 a ticket over two years ago to see this show, plus travel expenses to Chicago, so I feel I have every right to be critical.
You have every right to be critical, I agree. That's what a forum is about, to exchange opinions. I hope you enjoy the show despite any limitations and I'll be curious to read what you think after so share your review! Like you I prefer a more intimate venue. But they've wanted to do an arena show in the US since the days of Performance. It never happened. Now apparently they've sold out Madison Square Garden, even though there are a lot of people reselling tickets on Ticketmaster. But if it's sold out they can cross that out of their to do list.

Future Lover

#179 Post by Future Lover »

Why does everyone post everything twice in two topics? Will the threads be merged?

NotInvisible

#180 Post by NotInvisible »

OakeyDokey wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022, 2:49 pmThe reason they're touring together must be partly because there is a crossover in terms of fanbase so they may argue that you're getting 80% of a full show each in one night from two iconic electropop forefathers. Along with a superstar DJ of that era in between.
Exactly this. I think some people misunderstand what double bills are and were expecting two full-length shows. Nevermind that 90 minutes is a full-length show for many bands anyway...