Household Gods

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Nicholas

Re: Household Gods

#2 Post by Nicholas »

The BBC’s DID archive website used to be set up so you could look up a specific artist and see which celebrities had chosen songs by them. Not sure if I’m just being very stupid or if they’ve killed that functionality off since then. I can’t even work out how to alphabetise the castaway list any more.

ANYWAY there were a handful of PSB fans over the years but the only ones I remember off the top of my head were Walliams (obv) and Hugh Bonneville. Doubt anyone ever chose anything from later than 1988 though. Be interesting to see what Rupert Everett turns up.

Nicholas

#3 Post by Nicholas »

OH WAIT, there’s a Geowayne page about this, inevitably. ANDREW NEIL! That’s... a bit of a surprise.

PopKid78

#4 Post by PopKid78 »

Being Boring, was picked by both Andrew Neil and George Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick Bateman

#5 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Nicholas wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020, 8:58 am OH WAIT, there’s a Geowayne page about this, inevitably. ANDREW NEIL! That’s... a bit of a surprise.
He was never being bored.

Patrick Bateman

#6 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Nicholas wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020, 8:46 amBe interesting to see what Rupert Everett turns up.
I'm going for It's a Sin or This Must Be The Place, purely based on his boarding school experience.

"So Rupert, boarding school was an unhappy experience for you. You felt abandoned, sexually and emotionally repressed, and alienated by the authoritarian regime. Tell me about your next record."

"Yes Lauren, it's a song that encapsulates my feelings from that time."

*sound of J. Geils Band, Centrefold*

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Is it too much to ask to have a summary of the purpose of this thread, or any level of context whatsoever??

I skimmed the article, it seems someone mentioned PSB as being an artist they enjoy. Is that really worth making a thread about??

daveid

#8 Post by daveid »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020, 9:15 am
Nicholas wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020, 8:58 am OH WAIT, there’s a Geowayne page about this, inevitably. ANDREW NEIL! That’s... a bit of a surprise.
He was never being bored.

"We repeatedly asked Mr Johnson to come on to the show but we have had no response so we're getting up close and personal with this bit of skirt instead"

Spittingcat

#9 Post by Spittingcat »

Thanks for the heads up. Will listen in shortly…

Nicholas

#10 Post by Nicholas »

Sage wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020, 10:10 am Is it too much to ask to have a summary of the purpose of this thread, or any level of context whatsoever??

I skimmed the article, it seems someone mentioned PSB as being an artist they enjoy. Is that really worth making a thread about??
Perhaps every thread should have a summary and a mission statement at the start. And a set of specific targets for each stage in the thread’s lifespan so we can measure whether or not it’s been a successful thread. And a list of interludes and references to provide some cultural context. Only scienceguy seems to be bothering with that at the moment and frankly it’s time everyone else pulled their socks up a bit.

Nicholas

#11 Post by Nicholas »

EPILOGUE: Rupert Everett went with Being Boring as well.

Patrick Bateman

#12 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Nicholas wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm EPILOGUE: Rupert Everett went with Being Boring as well.
And chose it as his disc to save too. A very entertaining guy.

ArtHist

#13 Post by ArtHist »

Rupert could be the subject of a PSB song. Out of work queen moves back in with mummy, biding his time until she keels over and he inherits the country pile.

glennjridge

#14 Post by glennjridge »

I clicked in here quick...I was like, new B-side? LOVE THE TITLE. but I guess not :)

Patrick Bateman

#15 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Alerting geowayne to another selection on Desert Island Discs. Not What are we going to do about the rich? unfortunately.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gm8m