Where is the oddest public place you've heard a PSB song?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
spooky

Re: Where is the oddest public place you've heard a PSB song?

#46 Post by spooky »

heard Home and Dry while i was at IKEA. this was 2002.

Gabby

#47 Post by Gabby »

Roundhead General wrote: Sun 05 Jan 2020, 9:24 am Back in 1999 I visited the British Motors how at the NEC in Birmingham. Ford had a massive stand and held a big performance with dancers etc every so often. They used the Trouser Enthusiasts mix of A Red Letter Day for this performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was there and saw/heard it too! 😁

ArtHist

#48 Post by ArtHist »

BBC Radio 1

Gabby

#49 Post by Gabby »

ArtHist wrote: Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:13 pmBBC Radio 1
Yes, that now counts! lol!

Oznerol

#50 Post by Oznerol »

Tooo many years ago (more than 25) I worked as cameraman on social events (weddings, corporate parties, whatever...). One day I was hired to travel to another city, many hours away from mine, to film some kind of massive event in a big theatre. Once there, evrything started really weird, and for many many hours, with the theatre full of people, the event was like some kind of strange cult made around "honey based foods" sales. There were too many speakers walking in and out stage who, like gurus, talked to the crowd about how great you´re life can be if you work for his company and your products sales succeeded..and the possessed people went crazy about them. A bizarre...bizarre...bizarre...experience...
And the big main theme during ALL the event...playing at full volume to put the people in a high state of consciousness at calculated times, was..... "Go West". The people went CRAZY any time it sounded.
One of the oddest days in my life, starring PSB soundtrack all along it.
This is not my signature.

East End Bhoy

#51 Post by East End Bhoy »

This afternoon 'Monkey Business' came on Radio 2 while I was in our local Pet Shop!
1991-Glasgow, 1999-Glasgow, 2002-Edinburgh, 2006-Newcastle, 2007-Manchester, 2009-Manchester, 2009-Glasgow, 2014-Glasgow, 2016-London, 2017-Glasgow, 2022-Glasgow, 2023-Aberdeen

FormerEnfantTerrible

#52 Post by FormerEnfantTerrible »

There may have been more bizarre occasions, but I can mention I heard Vocal at the gym a few months ago, and Go West and New York City Boy have been played at least a couple times during the spinning classes. This is in San Salvador, El Salvador, by the way...
Did You See Me Coming?

DopeFiend

#53 Post by DopeFiend »

Heard It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas at Woolworths yesterday here in Melbourne Australia.🎅☃️🎄
Always a thrill to hear PSB in public! And I consider It Doesn't Often as a rare oddity of a PSB song.
Actually it must be heard by a lot of people.
I was wondering why Yes FL is in the most popular PSB releases on Spotify.
It must be because of this song!
Funny to think the whole world is hearing it. It's actually an all right track. I'm glad it's getting some love.
I like the Hark! The Herald Angels Sing middle 8. I hadn't noticed it before. It's such a PSB thing to divert
to a cover of another song briefly, I love it.
By the way last time someone here asked which version of the track I heard, I think it's the newer one.

Sebastian_Surfleet

#54 Post by Sebastian_Surfleet »

DopeFiend wrote: Fri 23 Dec 2022, 9:31 am Heard It Doesn't Often Snow At Christmas at Woolworths yesterday here in Melbourne Australia.🎅☃️🎄
Always a thrill to hear PSB in public! And I consider It Doesn't Often as a rare oddity of a PSB song.
Actually it must be heard by a lot of people.
I was wondering why Yes FL is in the most popular PSB releases on Spotify.
It must be because of this song!
Funny to think the whole world is hearing it. It's actually an all right track. I'm glad it's getting some love.
I like the Hark! The Herald Angels Sing middle 8. I hadn't noticed it before. It's such a PSB thing to divert
to a cover of another song briefly, I love it.
By the way last time someone here asked which version of the track I heard, I think it's the newer one.
I have actually heard It Doesn't Often Snow at Christmas several times over the past few years around Christmas time.

At a Safeway (grocery store), CVS (pharmacy) in San Francisco and Seattle, a Burberry in Union Square (SF) and at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. A club I was at a couple years ago in Seattle, a club not known for dance music or PSB, played it on Christmas Eve and people seemed to enjoy it.

IDOSAC is evidently becoming a low-key Christmas staple in Blue cities in America.

Which makes sense as it is one of the best modern Christmas songs and one that has not been seared into people's memories like the overplayed classics. I think perhaps it is appearing on Spotify Christmas lists etc.

Marie loves PSB

#55 Post by Marie loves PSB »

They are still playing PSB's songs at our "local-ish" shopping Centre. West End Girls was playing in Home Bargains too.

DavePSB

#56 Post by DavePSB »

I heard It Doesn't Often Snow twice in the space of an hour on Thursday - the first in McDonalds in Hastings, and then on Radio 2 in the car.
Chris: "I don't really like MP3's. It's like having a 1 megapixel digital camera."

Click for PSB | Euphoric (rarely updated now)

ChoonHound

#57 Post by ChoonHound »

Your mom’s house.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

glennjridge

#58 Post by glennjridge »

I was recently in a neighborhood pharmacy and I heard a female singing a ballad and the lyrics just kept popping out of the mix in the kinda noisy store and she was singing "baby do you remember, he's been thru all this before.." and I realized it was birthday boy......but it was being sung by a woman. so not only did some band cover their song, they actually managed to get it on a stores play list. I couldnt fire up my shazam in time to find out who it was.

lukas.pavlik

#59 Post by lukas.pavlik »

When I was at the drugstore in the Czech Republic, I heard Did you see me coming?

D.J.

#60 Post by D.J. »

This is not really a strange place where I have been hearing PSB, but it’s more of selection of their songs that they play. Here in San Diego we have 105.7 Willy FM station that is based south of the border in Mexico and when I’m driving I sometimes hear a PSB song. So far I’ve heard them play One More Chance, I Don’t Wanna, Only the Dark, A Little Black Dress, After the Event and a few more obvious classic hits. The one that got me super excited was After the Event, as it’s one of my favorite of their B sides and to hear it on the radio was surreal. :D