Appreciation Thread for HCYETBTS Album Version

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
matt74uk

Re: Appreciation Thread for HCYETBTS Album Version

#16 Post by matt74uk » Thu 06 Sep 2018, 8:45 pm

Prefer the remix, more laid back and love the piano

billjermaine

#17 Post by billjermaine » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 3:37 am

Baffled as to why the single remix wasn't included on Further Listening. Did they not want to give a cut to Brothers in Rhythm?

daveid

#18 Post by daveid » Sat 08 Sep 2018, 3:24 pm

York Minster wrote:
Mon 27 Aug 2018, 6:08 pm
Miserablism was to be where The End of the World is.

I have never thought of this track as a b-side.
If I remember correctly Neil stated that they ditched Miserablism as they didn't want anything 'spiky and peculiar' spoiling the beauty of the album. And Miserablism does sound like a cactus playing a xylophone.

Kevinthehorse

#19 Post by Kevinthehorse » Tue 11 Sep 2018, 11:09 am

York Minster wrote:
Mon 27 Aug 2018, 9:35 am
In my view, this track gets way too much duff.

Either listeners feel the track doesn't fit in, or that the single mix is superior, or both. Or they don't care for new jack swing.

To me, though, this is ultra classico PSB. You get the biting social wit and commentary, which while still present in the single mix, puts a chill on the finger wagging. The sounds, the synth stabs, the sound and vocal manipulation. are glorious. There is a lot of Chris in this track. Neil's echo-y vocals float perfectly above. Did this even need a single mix? Isn't this a perfect single as is?

An intelligent aural feast. Perfect PSB.
Yes, for me HCYETBTS doesn't fit the general mood of the album and that new jack swing style sounds very very dated, unlike the rest of the album. I was going to suggest that, rather than Miserablism, "Hey Headmaster" would have made a better replacement (yes, I know it wasn't released till 1993 but accroding to geowayne's site, Neil had written it long before he and Chris even met).

The other problem with HCYETBTS is that, by Fundamental, the boys themselves had become the very thing they once mocked, celebrities using their exalted status to preach about politics!