The triology and its nfluence on tours (lazers and more lazers)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
nickname

The triology and its nfluence on tours (lazers and more lazers)

#1 Post by nickname » Mon 06 Aug 2018, 11:31 am

I think it's obvious PSB are trying to follow a similar concept in their last albums. I mean, electronic pop music, disco and more or less modern sound. Looks like the three albums are going to follow this way. Of course, there is a paralelism in the sound concert and visual concept with the lights, lazers and all this stuff. And I think there is a sensation of going "in crescendo", making a bigger show each time. Electric tour is very similar to Super tour but it looks like a bigger production.

So I think the next tour is going to be even bigger production and with more or less the same concept, at least for the a last time, with Es Devlin like a designer. After that, they'll probably change the concept with a more mature album and a more relaxed tour or smaller concerts.

What do you think?.

Dog

Re: The triology and its nfluence on tours (lazers and more lazers)

#2 Post by Dog » Mon 06 Aug 2018, 1:33 pm

Other than Price being confirmed as the next album’s producer, I don’t think we know anything more about the direction they will be taking. At various points they have said they have batches of songs that are “pop”, “ballads” and “dark techno”. If they have 22 tracks demoed I think we can assume that they will take their usual approach of playing them all to their producer and together selecting those that they are most excited about working on. At that point it would become clear as to the direction they were taking.

Let’s not forget every album with a supposed unified, single feel also features tracks which don’t fit the template - Metamorphosis, So Hard, Ego Music, Sad Robot World, A Face Like That, The Samurai In Autumn, etc, etc.

It may be a safe bet to assume the new album will continue the trilogy’s theme of electronic purism but in terms of feel I would suggest all bets are off.

We could equally be looking at them recording two contrasting albums at the same time.
Woof.

JJ Naas

#3 Post by JJ Naas » Mon 06 Aug 2018, 5:43 pm

We already had the square blocks -theme during the Pandemonium tour, Super tour plays with round shapes, time for triangles next I think.

Also:
trilogy.jpg
trilogy.jpg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 936 times

Straight_Talker

#4 Post by Straight_Talker » Mon 06 Aug 2018, 7:39 pm

Yes..! I’d love to think that there’s a pattern! You’re right, Electric Tour was bright and happy, and I remember someone on here saying that “The Electric Tour had lasers, but the Super Tour has more lasers than “The Death Star”” (my most favourite quote from this forum, ever)..! So, the next Tour should be like a “once in a lifetime party, onboard The Death Star, with Mr Laser and Mrs Banging playing a live set”..! It sells...it really does, and everyone who goes to these shows has an absolute blast...a total, and absolute blast..! Yes, I’d like to hear “Behaviour” played live, but that can wait 10 years!
More strobes and BANGING, please!

Future Lover

#5 Post by Future Lover » Tue 07 Aug 2018, 12:01 pm

I'm really happy with the direction they've taken. A great review from a local blogger mentioned how they sound young and vital, and that everything around them can be and should be rejuvenated and energetic, even though they're not getting younger. Compared to Madonna's brand of rejuvenation, I think they're doing an excellent job. We still get mature themes amongst "the party tracks", and everything is amazingly produced. The Stuart Price albums sound like diamonds look - structured, shiny and impenetrable. I'm glad they're going with him for another round, but I do hope we get something left-field this time around. Imagine the horrors of old age told with an equally devastating musical background. Heck, imagine Stuart produced "Invisible".

daveid

#6 Post by daveid » Tue 07 Aug 2018, 2:29 pm

JJ Naas wrote:
Mon 06 Aug 2018, 5:43 pm
We already had the square blocks -theme during the Pandemonium tour, Super tour plays with round shapes, time for triangles next I think.

Also:

trilogy.jpg
Looks like Bronski Beat's The Age of Consent.

jules

#7 Post by jules » Tue 14 Aug 2018, 11:06 am

I remember the chrismas card being related to super and so maybe the last one with the tree was related to the next album. But of course these simple patterns can be seen everywhere.
julien676.skyblog.com

Andie

#8 Post by Andie » Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:43 am

Just thinking! A triangle has 3 sides & it is the 3rd album, so maybe triangles will be the shape :think:
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying