Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
York Minster
Posts: 5269
Joined: Thu 21 May 2009, 2:47 pm
Contact:

Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#1 Post by York Minster » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 4:22 am

Which PSB songs are basically the same song? It can be because of similar melodies, lyrics, production, whatever.

I will start off with King's Cross and Do I Have To?

Inside sped up to 1.5 and Too Many People (disagree if you like but I hear it every time).
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

TallThinMan
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#2 Post by TallThinMan » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 6:11 am

The obvious one is Opportunites and In The Night, where they set out with the explicit aim of creating a B-side with the same chords and tempo as the A-side. They didn’t quite succeed (there are chord sequences in Opportunities that don’t appear in In The Night and vice-versa).

The chord change from the chorus of King’s Cross is also in Domino Dancing and Being Boring. There’s that old Select magazine piece where they talk about it.

User avatar
York Minster
Posts: 5269
Joined: Thu 21 May 2009, 2:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#3 Post by York Minster » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 7:12 am

This doesn't really count, but Paninaro and the Flirts Passion
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

leesmapman
Posts: 1141
Joined: Wed 03 May 2006, 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#4 Post by leesmapman » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 10:00 am

York Minster wrote:
Tue 31 Jul 2018, 7:12 am
This doesn't really count, but Paninaro and the Flirts Passion
I think you mean In The Night and Passion.

nickname
Posts: 5708
Joined: Thu 30 Oct 2003, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#5 Post by nickname » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 12:03 pm

Vocal - It's Alright: I really believe Chris loved It's Alright so much that he wanted to play the song live but he couldn't because if you have to play Always on my mind, Go West like the massive hits they were and give many chances to Se a Vida E and Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you) like big hits, there are not so much space for a song which was a hit but not as much as the other two if you compare the date it was released. The #8 when PSB were not in the Imperial Phrase sounds a better result thant a #5 when PSB were on it (more ore less) and Se a Vida E is another kind of song which gives more variety of styles to a concert. So many cover versions to play, that's why PSB didn't play It's Alright. So I think they decided to create his own It's Alright and that's why the play Vocal (musically it's so similar, in fact the played both songs at the same time in the Electric Tour).

I Get Excited - Vampires: Even Chris made jokes about the similarity of both songs.

User avatar
ryancannell
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri 18 Feb 2011, 11:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#6 Post by ryancannell » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 12:07 pm

The synth lines in the intro of Domino Dancing, Absolutely Fabulous, and Paninaro 95 are very similar.

Straight_Talker
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon 13 Aug 2012, 5:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#7 Post by Straight_Talker » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 5:40 pm

⬆️Add “It always comes as a surprise” to that list..! ⬆️
More strobes and BANGING, please!

spacewalker
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun 08 Nov 2009, 11:11 am
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#8 Post by spacewalker » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 7:51 pm

"That's my impression" and "The Ressurectionist".
Choruses in "A face like that" and "Undertow" are quite similar.
"Love comes quickly" and "Thursday".
"West End girls" and "You know where you went wrong" probably.
"The sound of the atom splitting" and "The former enfant terrible" in a way.

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1695
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#9 Post by Luke Colorado » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 9:56 pm

Was That What It Was? / The Way It Used To Be
Last edited by Luke Colorado on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

User avatar
Luke Colorado
Posts: 1695
Joined: Thu 29 Dec 2005, 7:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#10 Post by Luke Colorado » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 9:58 pm

Inside a Dream / Jack the Lad
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

User avatar
ryancannell
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri 18 Feb 2011, 11:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#11 Post by ryancannell » Tue 31 Jul 2018, 11:21 pm

Straight_Talker wrote:
Tue 31 Jul 2018, 5:40 pm
⬆️Add “It always comes as a surprise” to that list..! ⬆️
Oh yes, I hadn't spotted that one!

User avatar
minimal
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri 28 Apr 2006, 11:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#12 Post by minimal » Thu 02 Aug 2018, 1:24 pm

nickname wrote:
Tue 31 Jul 2018, 12:03 pm
Vocal - It's Alright: I really believe Chris loved It's Alright so much that he wanted to play the song live but he couldn't because if you have to play Always on my mind, Go West like the massive hits they were and give many chances to Se a Vida E and Where the streets have no name (I can't take my eyes off you) like big hits, there are not so much space for a song which was a hit but not as much as the other two if you compare the date it was released. The #8 when PSB were not in the Imperial Phrase sounds a better result thant a #5 when PSB were on it (more ore less) and Se a Vida E is another kind of song which gives more variety of styles to a concert. So many cover versions to play, that's why PSB didn't play It's Alright. So I think they decided to create his own It's Alright and that's why the play Vocal (musically it's so similar, in fact the played both songs at the same time in the Electric Tour).

I Get Excited - Vampires: Even Chris made jokes about the similarity of both songs.
When Chris Lowe wants to play one of their songs live he just does. You're talking sh*t, I'm afraid. Also your correlations don't make sense whatsoever.

m+

User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#13 Post by daveid » Thu 02 Aug 2018, 3:12 pm

No Excuse and Up and Down :wink:

User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2403
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#14 Post by daveid » Thu 02 Aug 2018, 3:13 pm

Love Comes Quickly and Thursday

User avatar
Hillbilly
Posts: 2597
Joined: Tue 11 Apr 2006, 6:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Pet Shop Boys Songs That Are The Same Song

#15 Post by Hillbilly » Thu 02 Aug 2018, 4:10 pm

There are several tracks with a similar verse melody: "Opportunities", "A man could get arrested" and "Radiophonic", maybe "I get excited" too.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 12 guests

cron