Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

Strange feeling...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Bulldog

Strange feeling...

#1 Post by Bulldog » Thu 12 Jul 2018, 5:11 pm

...Been a fan since '93 and today I gave away for the first time a PSB item (that being "Pandemonium", which I never liked at all). That plus having yet to buy the new FLs gives me a strange feeling about my loyalty...
"It was a dark and stormy night."
"You know what's wrong with your stories? They lack subtlety."
"It was a sort of dark and kind of stormy night."

York Minster

Re: Strange feeling...

#2 Post by York Minster » Thu 12 Jul 2018, 7:12 pm

Like a law repealing itself?

I still like Pandy, but I never liked the way the vocals were mixed on it.

But I'm kind of in the same boat. Not much exciting going on in PSB land or pop music for me. I bought the more recent FL's but it will take a lot to get me to shell out for the old ones. I used to be a semi-completest, but not anymore. I think Super was a let down for me and I haven't recovered much since then.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

Bulldog

#3 Post by Bulldog » Thu 12 Jul 2018, 8:11 pm

Never liked "Pandemonium" for that very reason - studio vocals are very up in the mix and the effect is so annoying. When I get a live album I want to hear clear live vocals... The FLs - I bought mp3s of the "new" stuff but there's really nothing earth-shattering there, except for "Ring Road", which could have been a single. And I mentioned several times here how vacuous I find "Super"...

Maybe 2019 will make me less grumpy...

madsnielsen

#4 Post by madsnielsen » Thu 12 Jul 2018, 11:46 pm

Bulldog wrote:
Thu 12 Jul 2018, 5:11 pm
...Been a fan since '93 and today I gave away for the first time a PSB item (that being "Pandemonium", which I never liked at all). That plus having yet to buy the new FLs gives me a strange feeling about my loyalty...
I know what you mean. Not that I’m anyway near to begin giving my PSB collection away but I got a similar ‘strange’ feeling after Neil and Chris chose to close the fan club. Being a member of the fan club gave me a sense of belonging to something special that made my commitment and loyalty to Pet Shop Boys stronger than it is now. A parent to someone famous once gave the advice: “you should join a club, stick with the gang if you want to belong”, and I think she or he was right. After the closure of the fan club it feels like I’m just an ordinary follower like every other casual listeners of Pet Shop Boys who call themselves “fans”. Am I alone in thinking this?
Mads Nielsen
If people say I'm crazy, I tell 'em that it's true

York Minster

#5 Post by York Minster » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 5:18 am

I agree on the Pandy vocals....but they are "live" are they not? It's my understanding they were not recorded after the fact.

I don't think a dedicated PSB aficionado needs a club to designate them as such. Casual listeners know West End Girls and Go West. Maybe they have an old copy of Actually or Very. Probably just Discography. Most of us who frequent forums such as this are in deep, listening to obscure remixes, artists produced by the boys, the boys side projects, et al. If that's the case, you are no casual fan. Hell, if you have an opinion on The Night I Fell In Love, you're not a casual fan. If you know who produced Fundamental or Yes, you're not a casual fan. If you flip through a book and can spot the words "Pet" "Shop" and "Boy" from a mile away, you are not a casual fan.

And if you know that a parent of a pet shop lad once said a quote, you're definitely not a casual fan.

I guess for me, I just don't feel a trust that the 2019(?) album will be any better than Super. Electric blew me away, and proved they could do something with intense interesting production at their late stage, but I'm not sure it's coming again. They haven't made me really "feel" the music since 2013, and that's starting to be awhile ago.

Disco.

#6 Post by Disco. » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 9:15 am

Super is fantastic.

jasonjohn

#7 Post by jasonjohn » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 10:08 am

-

tottenhammattspurs

#8 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 12:56 pm

I miss the fan club but regards this forum as the fan club now.
is is and isnt isnt

Luke Colorado

#9 Post by Luke Colorado » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 4:15 pm

A recent thought on *my* waning fandom....

The PSB's music is/was engrossing (to *me*) for two main reasons: it exposes underground dance music trends to a pop audience (as did Madonna, et al) and *Neil's lyrics*. Unfortunately (for PSB), since the late 90s underground dance music is far more easily accessible (Internet) and Neil's lyrics aren't nearly as clever as they were in the 20th century. We went from...
In a West End town, a dead end world
The East End boys and West End girls
:up:

to
You’re a winner
I’m a winner
This is all happening so fast
:down:
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Pod

#10 Post by Pod » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 4:57 pm

madsnielsen wrote:
Thu 12 Jul 2018, 11:46 pm
Bulldog wrote:
I know what you mean. Not that I’m anyway near to begin giving my PSB collection away but I got a similar ‘strange’ feeling after Neil and Chris chose to close the fan club. Being a member of the fan club gave me a sense of belonging to something special that made my commitment and loyalty to Pet Shop Boys stronger than it is now. A parent to someone famous once gave the advice: “you should join a club, stick with the gang if you want to belong”, and I think she or he was right. After the closure of the fan club it feels like I’m just an ordinary follower like every other casual listeners of Pet Shop Boys who call themselves “fans”. Am I alone in thinking this?
I hear you - I agree!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

ArtHist

#11 Post by ArtHist » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 6:05 pm

Bulldog wrote:
So you still have a copy of Disco 2?! Or Absolutely Fabulous? Or New York City Boy? Winner?!!!! I bow to your masochistic sense of loyalty.

ZiggyPSB

#12 Post by ZiggyPSB » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 7:40 pm

Luke Colorado wrote:
Fri 13 Jul 2018, 4:15 pm

The PSB's music is/was engrossing (to *me*) for two main reasons: it exposes underground dance music trends to a pop audience (as did Madonna, et al) and *Neil's lyrics*. Unfortunately (for PSB), since the late 90s underground dance music is far more easily accessible (Internet) and Neil's lyrics aren't nearly as clever as they were in the 20th century. We went from...

to
You’re a winner
I’m a winner
I get excited
You get excited too

I don't know what you want but I can't give it anymore
This is a song about boys and girls. You hear it playing all over the world.
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Bulldog

#13 Post by Bulldog » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 9:40 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Fri 13 Jul 2018, 6:05 pm
Bulldog wrote:
So you still have a copy of Disco 2?! Or Absolutely Fabulous? Or New York City Boy? Winner?!!!! I bow to your masochistic sense of loyalty.
Disco 2 has got the dust of ages on it.

York Minster

#14 Post by York Minster » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 10:22 pm

ZiggyPSB wrote:
Fri 13 Jul 2018, 7:40 pm
Luke Colorado wrote:
Fri 13 Jul 2018, 4:15 pm

to
You’re a winner
I’m a winner
I get excited
You get excited too

This is a reasonable point. There were "simple" lyrics in the past.

But there was also a difference in delivery. Winner is sickeningly earnest and gooey sweet. Heart, which is very straight-forward as well, manages to come off as a masterwork, partly due to Neil's insidious sounding delivery. And minor chords, don't forget the minor chords.

As for I Get Excited. The verses are pretty iconic. We're thrown out of bars, we're lying in the gutter but we're looking at the stars. The simple chorus works, here, as it does on a song like I'm Not Scared.

madsnielsen

#15 Post by madsnielsen » Fri 13 Jul 2018, 11:36 pm

York Minster wrote:
Fri 13 Jul 2018, 5:18 am
I don't think a dedicated PSB aficionado needs a club to designate them as such. Casual listeners know West End Girls and Go West. Maybe they have an old copy of Actually or Very. Probably just Discography. Most of us who frequent forums such as this are in deep, listening to obscure remixes, artists produced by the boys, the boys side projects, et al. If that's the case, you are no casual fan. Hell, if you have an opinion on The Night I Fell In Love, you're not a casual fan. If you know who produced Fundamental or Yes, you're not a casual fan. If you flip through a book and can spot the words "Pet" "Shop" and "Boy" from a mile away, you are not a casual fan.

And if you know that a parent of a pet shop lad once said a quote, you're definitely not a casual fan.
Thank you for that confidence boost. :up: I guess you’ve got a point. I still miss the club though.
Mads Nielsen
If people say I'm crazy, I tell 'em that it's true