The Apple in Neil's & Chris' eyes

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Actually

The Apple in Neil's & Chris' eyes

#1 Post by Actually » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 12:10 am

Having found a new found love of the music from The Beatles. I was just wondering if Neil & Chris were ever fans of The Fab Four ?
Thought I heard somewhere, Neil in particular, grew up liking The Beatles & have seen him being interviewed wearing a Beatles T-Shirt but no other references have been made. There are a few classic Beatles songs I would love them to cover, one of them being Tell me why.
I agree with the comment made in A Life in Pop documentary that "Can't see why Tennant & Lowe can't be mentioned in the same breath as Lennon & McCartney..."
I know they have worked on Yoko Ono's & John Lennon's track Walking on thin ice but would love to hear how they genuinely felt for John Lennon & the rest of the Beatles....Imagine is simply one of the best songs ever written.
I'm too weak to be strong

Pod

Re: The Apple in Neil's & Chris' eyes

#2 Post by Pod » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 12:18 am

Can’t stand The Beatles.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

retrofuturist

#3 Post by retrofuturist » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 12:32 am

Good band - chronically over-rated...

geowayne

#4 Post by geowayne » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 5:14 am

As I note on my website (specifically at http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/extra ... tm#beatles), there are many "PSB/Beatles connections," including (among several others that I list there but not here):

• The Beatles (aka "the White Album") was the first album Neil ever bought, and he taught himself to play guitar studying Beatles songbooks.
  • Chris has said that the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night was the first film that he ever saw and that he was a big fan in his pre-teen years.
  • Neil has credited John Lennon ("Strawberry Fields Forever," in particular) as a major influence on his style as a lyricist.
  • Neil and Chris had once seriously considered performing a cover version of the Beatles' "The Fool on the Hill" but, after rehearsals, decided against it.
  • The Beatles' "She Loves You" was selected by Neil as one of his Desert Island Discs when he appeared on that famous BBC radio show in February 2007.
  • Neil once told an interviewer how "very exciting" he felt it was to be able to record at Abbey Road, partly because the Beatles used to record there as well. Abbey Road is of course the title of the final studio album recorded by the Beatles, and Abbey Road Demos is the title given to one of the earliest and most famous PSB bootlegs.
  • Chris has said that the "sound" of the PSB track "Luna Park" was somewhat inspired by that of the Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."
  • Neil has suggested that the lyrics of "Love etc." may have been inspired at least in part by the sentiments of the Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love" and "All You Need Is Love."
  • Neil has said that, way back in 1985, he and Chris didn't want to sign with EMI but specifically with its Parlophone subsidiary because the Beatles had been on Parlophone.
  • The Beatles were included among 300 artists whose names quickly flashed on an overhead screen during live performances of the 12 o'clock segment "The Clock 10-11-12" of The Most Incredible Thing. (Yoko Ono was listed as well.)

So I think it's safe to say that, yes, Neil and Chris greatly appreciate the Beatles, and are quite likely outright fans.

PopKid78

#5 Post by PopKid78 » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 7:39 am

In the book Literally, whilst in a nightclub with The Beatles on in the background, Chris makes the comment that he wished The Beatles had never happened.

oakey

#6 Post by oakey » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 8:24 am

Pod wrote:
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 12:18 am
Can’t stand The Beatles.
Me neither. Yes, they had a hughe following but that’s mainly because there was hardly any competition. The She loves you yeah yeah yeah period is simplistic, the later songs proto-prog rock stuff I don’t like. I prefer the Kinks who are from the same period but who wrote intelligent songs, observing British life, much like PSB really.

leesmapman

#7 Post by leesmapman » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 9:30 am

I Get Along is one of the most Beatles-esque songs they made. It could easily be sung by Paul and John.

Marie loves PSB

#8 Post by Marie loves PSB » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 9:50 am

Pod wrote:
Can’t stand The Beatles.
Same here! My Mum loves them though.

Neilatrone

#9 Post by Neilatrone » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 2:34 pm

I have to say that if you lived through the Beatles rise, you couldn’t but respect the influence they have had on popular music since.

They are icons and legends and laid the foundations for multiple musical acts ever since.

Of course, they’re weren’t the best musicians in the world, in fact, Ringo was the second “Best" drummer in the band......

I wouldn’t dare plead to anyone to listen and love them. However, one cannot underestimate their influence on the world of music. If you don’t care for them, I’d suggest that at least you invest time to read up about the transformation they and popular music took. It’s was a fantastic time in history.

Tom Angel

#10 Post by Tom Angel » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 3:41 pm

A dreadful band with horribly lullaby songs but were clearly hugely influential. And would have been a massive impact upon Neil and Chris.

I might have liked them at the time, but their music is just so insipid to my ears.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

tottenhammattspurs

#11 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 3:58 pm

Elvis. The Beatles. Kraftwerk.

Everyone, every act, every band, every singer, every musical movement is in someway influenced by these three.
is is and isnt isnt

y3potential

#12 Post by y3potential » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 3:58 pm

Everyone, every act, every band, every singer, every musical movement is in someway influenced by these three.

Can't disagree with that. Spot on. Whilst not the biggest Beatles fan in the world I do admire their invention, sheer progression, always moving forward and not afraid to take risks by trying something new in the studio. To think it was the same band that went from She Loves You to the psychedelic Tomorrow Never Knows within 3 years is quite astonishing. There timing in history was perfect although not chosen by them. I would imagine Neil and Chris have huge respect for them.
Do you know the difference between the two genders..?

PopKid78

#13 Post by PopKid78 » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 4:54 pm

y3potential wrote:
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm
tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 3:58 pm

I'd add Bowie to this list.

To think it was the same band that went from She Loves You to the psychedelic Tomorrow Never Knows within 3 years is quite astonishing.
I couldn’t agree more.

York Minster

#14 Post by York Minster » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 7:59 pm

oakey wrote:
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 8:24 am
Pod wrote:
Can’t stand The Beatles.
because there was hardly any competition.
Are you freaking kidding? The 60's was an explosion of amazing pop singles. Beach Boys, Mama's and the Papa's, The Turtles et al are all garbage I guess?

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised by the hate here. The Beatles had an unimaginable string of killer singles. The main reason I rarely listen to the Beatles is that the production value isn't to my liking. After awhile, the thin sound irritates, but that can be said for a lot of the records of the era.
And tryin' to figure out what happened to 'Germaine Propaine'
"He couldn't have fell off that hard" Ain't no way
"What happened to the way you was rappin' when you was scandalous
That Canibus turned into a television evangelist"
Plus he raps with his regular voice [BOOSH! BOOSH!]
[BOOSH! BOOSH!] (What was that?) Pet Shop Boys

oakey

#15 Post by oakey » Tue 13 Mar 2018, 8:29 pm

York Minster wrote:
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 7:59 pm
oakey wrote:
Tue 13 Mar 2018, 8:24 am
Pod wrote:
Can’t stand The Beatles.
because there was hardly any competition.
Are you freaking kidding? The 60's was an explosion of amazing pop singles. Beach Boys, Mama's and the Papa's, The Turtles et al are all garbage I guess?

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised by the hate here. The Beatles had an unimaginable string of killer singles. The main reason I rarely listen to the Beatles is that the production value isn't to my liking. After awhile, the thin sound irritates, but that can be said for a lot of the records of the era.
The real band explosium came in the 70s and even that is nothing compared to the sheer amount of artists of today.

The bands you name are indeed not my cup of tea 8)
I do like the Velvet Underground, Elvis, Kinks, from that period. But not the Stones or Beatles.