Forum Rules  |   Forum Contacts  |   Problems registering?  |   Official Website

If they were not gay

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
alig

If they were not gay

#1 Post by alig » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 4:26 am

I find it highly doubtful that they would still be making great music together. They would be married with children by now or would have gone through several divorces while losing their focus on music. They would have become fat and jaded and blasé about the music making process.I do believe that by remaining bachelors, they retained their creativity because they don't have to endure all the distractions that come with marriage. They are free agents.
"John 3:16."

Luke Colorado

Re: If they were not gay

#2 Post by Luke Colorado » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 4:33 am

This is a moronic notion.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

DJ Pat

#3 Post by DJ Pat » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:11 am

Maybe the real Sacha Baron Cohen started this absurd thread for a laugh

bohemians.

#4 Post by bohemians. » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:48 am

they would not even meet.If Neil was straight he would be married by 25, his wife would send him for milk, if Chris was by accidend next to him, he would not even look at Neil. N s wife would have not understandings for some pluggers, she would hardly let Neil to go to Bowie s concerts.So Neil for sure asked for divorce.Then he would meet some Space girl and ...started doing music with her....Then he might go to Prague, but I would not meet him because I dont live in Prague anymore...

Nightcrawler

#5 Post by Nightcrawler » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:57 am

alig wrote: They would be married with children by now or would have gone through several divorces while losing their focus on music.
Oh... Hi Depeche Mode! :D

Greendrake

#6 Post by Greendrake » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 6:51 am

"They"? Have I missed Chris' coming out? Yes you can make plausible assumptions but no matter how convincing they sound there is no actual proof, is there?

DYSMC2009

#7 Post by DYSMC2009 » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 7:08 am

I believe Chris has mentioned it in the press on a couple occasions, such as a German magazine publication. I don't think that is too important.

Why assume we know about their private lives? Bachelors this entire time? Not likely.

CroMagnon

#8 Post by CroMagnon » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 10:17 am

I don't think it's entirely moronic to speculate that the fact that Neil, and almost certainly Chris, are gay has been a factor in their longevity as a successful creative partnership. However, it's probably nothing to do with sexuality per se, and more to do with them not having children. The life of a 30 / 40 / 50 year old man without children is very different from that of one who has children. Neil discussed this recently in one of the radio interviews i.e. how his life is so different from that of close friends with children. Being childless may allow them to focus more on their work, allows them to jet off to Berlin for extended periods to compose and record, allows them to engage obsessively with side projects, creating live shows and so on.
Whose matches are those?

TallThinMan

#9 Post by TallThinMan » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 10:24 am

Elton John is gay and he has children. And he had a wife at one point.

ClyClyisBack

#10 Post by ClyClyisBack » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 10:28 am

Well when I first was into PSB, I thought they were straight...until I did research and saw that none of them were married and found it weird because I am sure that if they were straight, they would have a wife for sure. Then, my 14 years old mind started to think and the idea of them being gay crossed my mind...Until I had the confirmation when watching Musique Plus (MTV in Quebec) when they did some jokes about them and their homosexuality, that I found not nice to do. It didn't stopped me of liking them and their music.

For their personal life, it's not of my business but I guess they were not bachelor all the time. I think they had relationships from time to time and sometimes, they were single. Like most of us in sum.
I LOVE ENGLISH COCUMBERS !!!

gehegu

#11 Post by gehegu » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 10:29 am

alig wrote:I find it highly doubtful that they would still be making great music together. They would be married with children by now or would have gone through several divorces while losing their focus on music. They would have become fat and jaded and blasé about the music making process.I do believe that by remaining bachelors, they retained their creativity because they don't have to endure all the distractions that come with marriage. They are free agents.
Omg! It seems to be hard being straight in this day and age. Luckily not all straight people have children or are divorced. Anyway you could be right about certain "distraction".

daveid

#12 Post by daveid » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 10:51 am

Luke Colorado wrote:This is a moronic notion.
It's not moronic at all. It's an interesting observation which may or may not be correct. Marriage and children change your life and any responsible person in this situation puts priority on these things because they are ultimately more important. N and C aren't married and therefore can 'play' far more than others (obviously they are also well off too). I'm sure their own respective situations have there own problems but they do have the freedom to focus on their vocation. Lucky us. Incidentally I read an article somewhere about gay people lacking the grounding of family life to settle them. Many come to grief because this enforced responsibility is absent so a kind of extended youth prevails to the end. This doesn't have to be a bad thing though it may create the conditions for self-destruction in some. In others it may create a sublimated and re-channelled creative energy, like with N and C. As to the effect the legalisation of gay marriage has on these things, I suspect it's a good thing but I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of children.

Glenny4

#13 Post by Glenny4 » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 11:00 am

If they were not gay : it would have ended over 20 years ago, thank god they are :wink:

ClyClyisBack

#14 Post by ClyClyisBack » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 11:06 am

gehegu wrote:
alig wrote:I find it highly doubtful that they would still be making great music together. They would be married with children by now or would have gone through several divorces while losing their focus on music. They would have become fat and jaded and blasé about the music making process.I do believe that by remaining bachelors, they retained their creativity because they don't have to endure all the distractions that come with marriage. They are free agents.
Omg! It seems to be hard being straight in this day and age. Luckily not all straight people have children or are divorced. Anyway you could be right about certain "distraction".
You are right. I am staight, never being married and have no kids.
I LOVE ENGLISH COCUMBERS !!!

Undertaker

#15 Post by Undertaker » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 11:07 am

The point is actually a good one but probably worded badly lol.

I actually thought the post was going to be about how being gay has made them bigger as times have changed. It certainly affected their popularity for a time from 1994 to probably Nightlife. No doubt people do stop buying records based on what they see, rather than what they hear. Since Fundamental, they have become a national institution. Grown old gracefully and are massively popular again. In a way, they got back their reputation. Obviously it doesnt really bother us but it certainly did some. Nightlife was kinda 'in your face' and probably put people off. Lets be honest, New Yoek City Boy on TotP's was awful.

As for the original question, there is not a chance they'd be releasing three albums in 4 years if they were married with kids. They'd be mowing the lawn etc. The original question is a bit provocative but the point is actually a good one.

Maybe because they love what they do so much, they prefer it over the married life anyway. I'm sure they arent lonely people. Just very private. Which is how it should be.