Not So Super...

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
verbow79

Not So Super...

#1 Post by verbow79 »

Sorry everyone, I love Neil/Chris to death but have to vent and get off my chest after hearing Super. It's simply my opinion, and neither right nor wrong.

Just listened to Super. I put a lot of the blame on Price for this, but there are core songs here that could have been pop gems but Price's expertise is in the EDM area and Super feels like a lost opportunity. They need to get back to their roots in the pop area. There's not one song on the album that I like, which hasn't happened since Release or Bilingual. Very and those wonderful Bilingual b-sides (which should have swapped places with the Bilingual album tracks) seem like a million miles away after hearing Super. He just doesn't capture the soulfulness and heart of PSB very well, and it's more icy and distant sounding to me. While Electric had it moments, overall it sounded like a rehash of Price's work with Madonna Confessions on the Dancefloor. As far as PSB's pop sensibilities, I think it's simply an incompatability issue and not in Price's arsenal. I wouldn't be as upset if Neil and Chris weren't 61 and 56, but there's only a couple albums left in them before Neil is close to 70. I know they mentioned this is a trilogy with Price, but I really hope he has as a surprise up his sleeve on the 3rd album with a huge pop monster.

Ok, I will get off my soap box now and am looking forward to a bright future in spite of the wasted opportunity that is Super.

Tenlow

Re: Not So Super...

#2 Post by Tenlow »

It's a terrible record isn't it?
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

DJ Pat

#3 Post by DJ Pat »

I'm gonna give it another few full listens, but I've already earmarked the ones I won't leave on my own tracklisting

I was thinking the same of Stuart Price. At times it feels like he's holding a gun to their head with his idea of what they should be sounding like.

Effen Vida

#4 Post by Effen Vida »

I've heard it three times and I think it's f*** great.

Tenlow

#5 Post by Tenlow »

Effen Vida wrote:I've heard it three times and I think it's f****** great.
That's because it is.

Seriously though, I can accept people not liking it or having their issues with it, at the end of the day music remains a thing of personal preference. I'm having a hard time believing though that any PSB fan (excluding Steve maybe :wink: ) doesn't like ANY of these songs. There so much PSB DNA in this record that it is simply impossible, at least if you're not finished with them for one reason or another. It may be too dancey for some, or lyrically not satisfying enough or whatever but basically saying it's the worst album PSB have ever done and not liking a single of these (mostly amazing) songs borders on trolling. But that's just my opinion of course.
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

saintken

#6 Post by saintken »

For me it's their best pop and dance album since Very - and if it polarizes it's a good sign for me because nothing is more boring than an album, everyone finds "nice". My friends and family aren't PSB fans - but they love Happiness, Burn and Groovy because these tracks sound fresh and cheerful.

NotInvisible

#7 Post by NotInvisible »

Tenlow wrote:It may be too dancey for some, or lyrically not satisfying enough or whatever but basically saying it's the worst album PSB have ever done and not liking a single of these (mostly amazing) songs borders on trolling.
I agree there should be something for everyone here, but I can see why some fans would find an album with only one or two songs that tick their particular box frustrating. And something has to be their worst album. I don't believe Super fits the bill, but out of the box it's in the bottom half for me. That's more a testament to the strength of their best work than a damnation of Super, though!

Behavior
Relentless
Please
Actually
Introspective
Fundamental
Very
Elysium
Release
Electric
Super
Yes
Bilingual
Nightlife

...for insight into my own PSB taste. Alternative Disc 1 would be at the top of the list had it been an original album.

netvor87

#8 Post by netvor87 »

^ That's an interesting order. For me, I'd probably go:

Very
Behaviour
Bilingual
Please
Actually
Introspective

Relentless
Release
Electric

Nightlife
Super (?)
Yes
Elysium
Fundamental

The first six albums are classics. Release and Electric and the Relentless bonus EP are pretty solid. The bottom four are enjoyable but flawed, and I'd place Super somewhere within this category possibly around Nightlife. All of the previous albums have an accumulated worth and nostalgia so it's hard for a new album to climb the ranks right away but I know Super has potential.

jasonjohn

#9 Post by jasonjohn »

verbow79 wrote:There's not one song on the album that I like, which hasn't happened since Release or Bilingual.
Hehe. Well each to their own, but I cannot imagine being a fan and not having a single song on Release of Bilingual that you can listen to.

Super feels like a Disco entry to me. It's valid and interesting, but it is sitting in among some giant albums.

As to someone putting both Fundamental at the bottom of their list... with Super not too far above.... well that's quite confusing!

netvor87

#10 Post by netvor87 »

jasonjohn wrote:
verbow79 wrote:There's not one song on the album that I like, which hasn't happened since Release or Bilingual.
Hehe. Well each to their own, but I cannot imagine being a fan and not having a single song on Release of Bilingual that you can listen to.

Super feels like a Disco entry to me. It's valid and interesting, but it is sitting in among some giant albums.

As to someone putting both Fundamental at the bottom of their list... with Super not too far above.... well that's quite confusing!
What is surprising? I prefer Super over Fundamental and Elysium and probably over Yes. My issue with Nightlife is that the last few songs are not on par with the first few which makes it a tough album to score. After a couple of listens I would probably rate Super an 8 or maybe an 8.5/10 but it has the potential to grow on me further.

To be a bit more specific, with album scores:
Very (10) Behaviour (almost a 10).
Bilingual, Please, Actually, and probably Introspective (9.5).
Release, Electric (likely an 8.5 or 8.5+)
Nightlife (8, maybe 8.5)
Yes (maybe an 8...)
Elysium, Fundamental (not sure)

jasonjohn

#11 Post by jasonjohn »

It's surprising because the level of songwriting and production that went into Fundy is quite enormous by comparison.

Not saying you cannot like Super. It's just a new concept for me for fans to not appreciate some of the core PSB attributes which Super is largely lacking.

DJ Pat

#12 Post by DJ Pat »

Let's have more honesty instead of people being a bit too biased just because they're huge fans who think that every single thing they do turns to gold

Chicago Fire

#13 Post by Chicago Fire »

GOOOOOOOOOOLD IM SUPER :D

Chicago Fire

#15 Post by Chicago Fire »

How do I stop to listen to this!?