What is the best way to purchase older PSB albums?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
the8thark

What is the best way to purchase older PSB albums?

#1 Post by the8thark »

I became a PSB fan in 2009. Thanks to seeing Did You See Me Coming? on TV. And I own the last 3 albums, Yes, Elysium and Electric (and every single from these albums). I also own Pop Art (2CD and DVD), Alternative and Format. So I own everything a new fan should own.

But I do not own many at all of the early albums. Nearly none of them. And I want to ask what is the best way to purchase them all to get the most content and for the cheapest price. Sure I could hunt out all the individual albums (Not the disco series, I'll leave that for later, unsure if I really want those), but is there a way to get all the older albums (pre yes) in a bundle or something at a group album price?

I am sure most of the people here already have the lot and this is not an issue to them, but if there are any newer fans here, they might want to know too.
(I am in Australia if that matters, but I can purchase online from every major world online store so that is an option too)

Thank you in advance.

[edit] Please be patient for replies. I'm not ignoring anyone. I just still need mods approval for my posts.
Last edited by the8thark on Sat 13 Jul 2013, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

StevePSB
Site Admin

Re: What is the best way to purchase older PSB albums?

#2 Post by StevePSB »

You need to find the 2 disc re-issues. Not sure if they're still about new.

StevePSB

tottenhammattspurs

#3 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Agree with the 2 disc remasters. Just keep looking on e-bay. They turn up occasionally.
I sold my spare copies earlier this year.
is is and isnt isnt

Drem

#4 Post by Drem »

Don't omit "Disco 3"! It's more that just a remix album.
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)

Danimal

#5 Post by Danimal »

The two disc reissues are key. I would try ebay, Amazon resellers, discogs.com, and Alibris, There's also Disco 3 as it's more of a mini-LP, Very Relentless as Relentless is an entire original LP that has never been reissued and is the forerunner to Electric. The Original Disco remix album is key as well. The only side project that is essential in my mind is The Battleship Potemkin project.

Danimal

#6 Post by Danimal »

I would also add that the DVD of Performance IS the defining live PSB statement. No PSB visual even comes close to this. Long after they're gone they'll go down in music history for this tour as it laid down the template for EVERY theatrical concert tour to come after. It's their equivalent of Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Jamesqdot

#7 Post by Jamesqdot »

Definitely the two-disc reissues. They're also worth it for the excellent booklets that come with them. Some of them appear to be rare as hens teeth now (Bilinual, for example) and seem to go for a fair bit of money sadly.

Does anyone have any idea whether Parlophone are looking to cash in (Radiohead style) with newer reissues of their past albums in mutliple-disc editions?

Danimal

#8 Post by Danimal »

In Parlophone's good-bye press release to PSB they stated that they look forward to working on their catalog to the answer to that is "yes."

boyjohn

#9 Post by boyjohn »

I believe that the 2 disc versions are still available digitally if that would work for the OP.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

territorygal

#11 Post by territorygal »

Those are the 2009 remasters. Nothing wrong with those, but if you want all the extra content, then you'll need to look for the 2001 2CD Further Listening remasters. Unfortunately, much harder to find these days - the physical versions, that is. You can buy them digitally from iTunes, Bigpond, etc, or listen to them on Spotify.

When I started out, I bought everything that the local JB Hi-Fi had in stock. Started with the studio albums, then the Discos, then the singles. Redeye Records in Sydney had (or used to have) a lot of stuff, and they're very friendly, willing to help source anything you like. I also did a lot of shopping on eBay! Sometimes you'll find a person selling off his/her entire collection in a bundle.

I love collecting physical product; if you don't care about that, then don't bother. It's much easier to find things digitally on the sources above.

Also, the PSB Discography site is your friend!
And everything about tonight feels right and so young
And anything I'd want to say out loud will be sung
It's in the music...

the8thark

#12 Post by the8thark »

Thank you for all the replies. I do know of these 2 cd versions you talk of. They are the "further listening" versions of the albums. I do have all the b-sides via Alternative and Format so I don't need the 2cd versions, but I will look into them. My worry is I could get them all individually and then soon after they do a re-release of the lot in one box. But I'm not too worried about this, I'll save up for them all separately I think.

Pertan - Thanks for that link. $11 a pop for the remastered 1CD versions is a good price.

boyjohn - If I can't get any for a decent price I'd consider that. But I'm a little old school in this respect. I like the CDs on my shelf. Sure I only play them once to rip to iTunes and listen to them there from then on in. Kind of crazy to have a CD you only play once but I think many of us are sentimental to the CD. I'd prefer to have the physical media. I'll only hit up the iTunes store if the physical media was not an option. A nice suggestion and thank you.

Jamesqdot - I have noticed this as I have been looking on ebay for a bit. The Further Listening versions and other 2 CD albums end up going for quite the price. As much as I like the PSB, (I've really come to like their music a lot over the past 4 years), I am a realist. If the 2CD versions are not an option, cause of availability, I'll settle ok for the 1CD versions. There is not that much content you miss out on if you have alternative and format.

Danimal - I don't like Pink Floyd at all. Really don't like, but I understand your reference, that Wall was a definitive live show for them. And Performance you say? Well to be honest I have the Pandemonium DVD and that show was simply amazing. I'd say one of the best music DVD's I have. And you say Performance is even better? It must be quite the performance then? . . . Ok ok sorry lame joke there. But I'll look into it. Thank you.
(On a side note I still want to see them live. Their recent tours have been to all continents on the world but have strangely omitted Australia).

Drem - I thought they were all just remix albums. I learn something every day.

StevePSB - Not where I am. A few years back I saw them in the stores. Like 6-7 years ago. But I was not a fan back then. For my loss I guess. But better late then never. And I think it's good their newer music is getting out there. If it wasn't, I'd not be a fan.

territorygal - I know of the Further Listening versions, thanks for repeating it though. I do prefer the physical CD so that makes things harder, but all the more fun. And yes JB Hi-Fi did have a lot of their stuff years ago, but not anymore. Those Ebay bundles are a nice option. I've bought a few for other artists before. I'll take a look and see if any from Aus are selling in a bundle. And I didn't know the discography site existed. Well I do now. I'm not after getting everything (that's impossible), just enough to round out most of the major material is enough for me + I am not made of money.

I'll reply here when I get any albums to let you know where I got them. So you all know. And thanks for the info.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

Danimal

#13 Post by Danimal »

If you buy only one PSB DVD, Performance is the one to buy. This show really informs the rest of their career from 1991 forward. You'll thank me for the suggestion when you see it.

territorygal

#14 Post by territorygal »

Just a word about the Further Listening editions - it's not only B-sides, but rare never-before-on-CD versions and remixes. Some of which are kind of interesting.
And the interview booklets!

I second the Performance suggestion!
And everything about tonight feels right and so young
And anything I'd want to say out loud will be sung
It's in the music...

jut2k

#15 Post by jut2k »

If you can't get the original CD's (and fab inner booklets) at a decent price, then Google Play - the 2CD versions are available as 320kbps mp3's for around £4.99 a piece. I'm excited for you.