PSB "Tourist destinations"

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
fran

PSB "Tourist destinations"

#1 Post by fran »

Hi, I'm going to go to London for the first time soon, so I was thinking about visiting places of PSB relevance, like the shop where they first met or something like that. My trip is for tourist reasons, and I'm also going to visit other Europe's cities; London is a must go for it's own reasons but, as something funny to do, I would like to know one or two "PSB places" for joy, lol <--- sorry for weird english.
So, I'm asking you, please, is it possible? The "electronics shop" is known?
Thanx!
Last edited by fran on Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tottenhammattspurs

Re: PSP "Tourist destinations"

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

You could walk along Embankment (West end Girls Video), Visit the BBC studios in Shepherds Bush (Top Of The Pops was filmed there in the 80s), the millenium footbridge that goes over to the Tate modern (London video) and the site of the "Dive Bar" which, although not there anymore, is in Chinatown.

And thats just of the top of my head...
is is and isnt isnt

karnsculpture

Re: PSP "Tourist destinations"

#3 Post by karnsculpture »

I'd add Kings Cross Station, though sadly most of the parts shown in the "Rent" video are gone the outside is still somewhat similar. Victoria Station WH Smiths is shown in the West End girls video, it has different signage now but you'd be able to walk in the spot the group were in the video if you go from WH Smiths to the little HMV branch near Platform 10.

Go down Carnaby Street to see where Neil used to work, and Liberty where he was spotted shopping a few times. Soho is worth a wander anyway, you'll find PSB items in the record shops of Berwick Street just a short walk from Carnaby St, and Brewer Street/Berwick Street/Old Compton Street still has a little of that seedy Soho vibe seen briefly in the West End girls video.

Go West to South Kensington to walk around some of the places mentioned in "The Ghost Of Myself" such as the V&A.

That's all I can think of for now. Have fun!

Ghost within this house

Re: PSB "Tourist destinations"

#4 Post by Ghost within this house »

Blackfriars
Newgate Street
and a pint at the King of Denmark!
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

leesmapman

#5 Post by leesmapman »

King of Denmark (a pub mentioned in The Ressurectionist)

MikeyC

#6 Post by MikeyC »

A definite PSB "destination" here in NYC: Applejack Diner, where Neil first met up with Bobby O!

Tom Angel

#7 Post by Tom Angel »

I went to apple jack diner!
And how about Camden- where their first demos were recorded
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

DJ Pat

#8 Post by DJ Pat »

You could also pass Embankment Gardens

agent doris

#9 Post by agent doris »

I stayed next to Apple Jacks purely by coincidence the first time I went to NYC. Great French toast, didn't try the carrot cake.

DJ Pat

#10 Post by DJ Pat »

A walk down the Strand.

In fact, walking around much of Central London in the evenings could be soundtracked by many PSB songs

tucky101

#11 Post by tucky101 »

I too went to apple jacks - even took a photo of it.

Seem to recall its near where David letterman is filmed?

Ellie

#12 Post by Ellie »

The famous electronics shop doesn't exist anymore, it's now the left hand half of Le Pain Quotidien cafe/bakery on the Kings Road in Chelsea (ie. the seating area of the cafe, the wall's been knocked down between two old shops to make one big one). We found this out from another fan who had a picture of the shop before it closed. Unfortunately, it's been completely re-done inside but it's still worth going in to have a hot chocolate!

Other PSB trivia about the Kings Road that they've mentioned in interviews:
The pub on the Kings Road, the Chelsea Potter, is where Neil and Chris used to go for a drink.
Opposite that pub, above Choy's Chinese restaurant is the flat Neil used to live in during the 80s.
Chris used to live in Sydney street, off the Kings Road.

As others have suggested, there's also all the other places in London mentioned in their songs which you can visit, too. Wayne's site has a list of places in their songs, many of which are in London. http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/lists/places.htm

In the West End Girls video, Neil and Chris are walking along the South Bank, which is a great place to visit and has lovely views across London, as well as some very interesting galleries, such as the Tate Modern and the Hayward Gallery (and the London Eye). I hope you enjoy your visit to London, it's a great city. :)

scheiner

#13 Post by scheiner »

Ellie wrote:The famous electronics shop doesn't exist anymore, it's now the left hand half of Le Pain Quotidien cafe/bakery on the Kings Road in Chelsea (ie. the seating area of the cafe, the wall's been knocked down between two old shops to make one big one). We found this out from another fan who had a picture of the shop before it closed. Unfortunately, it's been completely re-done inside but it's still worth going in to have a hot chocolate!

I happened to visit that bakery a few months ago. really nice place...

MikeyC

#14 Post by MikeyC »

tucky101 wrote:I too went to apple jacks - even took a photo of it.

Seem to recall its near where David letterman is filmed?
Exactly, it's just a few storefronts down from the Ed Sullivan Theater, where Letterman tapes.

stussyboy

#15 Post by stussyboy »

Ellie wrote:Chris used to live in Sydney street, off the Kings Road.
And Neil still lives just off the King's Road.
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles